Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

55 Oldsmobile super 88 freeze plug

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2023, 03:37 PM

55 Oldsmobile super 88 freeze plug

Anyone know where to get freeze plugs for the 55 olds super 88. And what size they are? I took out the drain plugs from the blocks and only a little water dripped out. There is a lot of black gunky stuff in there which I知 not sure how to get out. I知 thinking it was that blue devil radiator stop leak stuff I put in a few months back. All that stuff has done is make matters worse as far as my whole cooling system goes.
Old November 18th, 2023, 09:14 AM

They should be a common size, I've replaced them on a couple engines with no issues, and with no problems finding them. Measure the outside of the easiest plug to get to match it up at a parts house.
As I remember, Red Devil is a head gasket block sealer. may take a strong flushing agent to clean it out... Tedd
Old November 18th, 2023, 10:01 AM

Sorry IDK about the plug size. Try CRC ThermoCure flush, let it sit and work for days if freezing isn't a concern in your climate.
Old November 18th, 2023, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
They should be a common size, I've replaced them on a couple engines with no issues, and with no problems finding them. Measure the outside of the easiest plug to get to match it up at a parts house.
As I remember, Red Devil is a head gasket block sealer. may take a strong flushing agent to clean it out... Tedd
ok thank you. Are you saying I should use the red devil stuff to flush it out?
Old November 18th, 2023, 04:47 PM

No, use a regular radiator, block flush to remove the Red Devil block sealer. You may or may not have issues with the heater core, but this is a good place to open up the system and flush from the radiator through the engine, including the heater core. I wouldn't replace the freeze plugs unless they show signs of rust through or the engine is out of the car, and you are doing a complete clean-up and paint or rebuild...Tedd
Old November 18th, 2023, 05:00 PM

No, use a regular radiator, block flush to remove the Red Devil block sealer. You may or may not have issues with the heater core, but this is a good place to open up the system and flush from the radiator through the engine, including the heater core. I wouldn't replace the freeze plugs unless they show signs of rust through or the engine is out of the car, and you are doing a complete clean-up and paint or rebuild...Tedd
oh ok got it and yeah that makes sense. So being that as I said before, I took the drain plugs out of the block and nothing really came out plus I have the trans and starter out til next Saturday and it痴 getting into the upper 20s only at night, do you think I have to worry about my block cracking? I left the bottom radiator hose off too and drained it and left those drain plugs out because my car is outside and I knew there wasn稚 much actual coolant in it.
Old November 18th, 2023, 06:40 PM
Phantom Phixer

Take a piece of wire ( like from a coat hanger ) and poke in those holes where the block drains were.
Hopefully, you will dislodge enough crap to allow the water jacket to drain.
Old November 19th, 2023, 06:56 AM

I did that and I couldn稚 really get to much. I have new head gaskets, do you think if I pull the heads off I値l be able to get down into that water jacket?
Old November 19th, 2023, 07:38 AM

I have a 324 block with an 11-inch crack that had the radiator drained but not the block. I would throw a gallon of anti freeze just for insurance. By the way, the freeze plugs did not budge, though the crack started at the edge of one of the plugs. Kinda miss nomenclature freeze plug.
Old November 19th, 2023, 07:48 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Super88chris
I did that and I couldn稚 really get to much. I have new head gaskets, do you think if I pull the heads off I値l be able to get down into that water jacket?
Don't pull the heads.
If you poked up into the water jacket and didn't get much then it is drained.
Old November 19th, 2023, 08:16 AM

I have a 324 block with an 11-inch crack that had the radiator drained but not the block. I would throw a gallon of anti freeze just for insurance. By the way, the freeze plugs did not budge, though the crack started at the edge of one of the plugs. Kinda miss nomenclature freeze plug.
oh wow that痴 not good. So I should put the drain plugs back in and hook the radiator hose back up and throw in a gallon? Yeah this whole situation makes me nervous even tho it probably only will have a freezing temp for a few hours a night until it goes inside the shop this Saturday to put my trans back in
Old November 19th, 2023, 05:15 PM

If I had it in a shop. I would throw a 150 wat bulb under the block, then put a blanket over the hood and not worry about it. That will keep the temp above freezing for a long time at 25 degrees. Tedd
Old November 19th, 2023, 06:46 PM

I wish I could but that痴 ok it warms back up during the day and I値l keep checking on it
Old June 2nd, 2024, 04:30 PM

so don稚 recall the size of freeze plug that sits right above the spark plug by the heater fan?