Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Early rocker adapter

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2023, 12:07 PM

Early rocket adapter

I have literally been dragging this adapter around since late 70's. I originally got it to convert my 371 w/ olds 3spd to take a Muncie. It was in a 35 ford 5 window. Sold the car but kept the adapter.
Now I am building a 35 ford roadster with 57 J2 and Doug nash.5spd
Everything looks good but I have a question
Is the plate with the adapter merely a spacer in the eventuality the input shaft is a little long?

Last edited by ncboat; March 26th, 2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old March 28th, 2023, 07:01 AM

It could be a spacer, yes, as it does not look like the common Olds to Ford adapter which resembles your plate. But I want to warn you, seeing no mounting to pick up the factory rear motor mounts on your aluminum BH, if your plans are to three-point mount the engine with two in the front and the rear mount on the DN trans you might potentially break the bellhousing seen here in use after some time, and old problem. The Olds engine is ±850 pounds, plus bolt-ons. Also a old problem of the engine and transmission moving for or aft hard and suddenly in the case of a accident of some kind.

Guys had input shafts shortened a little bit on swaps to remedy the same problem the spacer helps solve. But the one time I ran in to this trouble, the length overage was certainly more then the thickness of the steel spacer in your pics. This was/is a common problem installing Caddy boxes behind chevy and GMC six cylinder engines using period adapters. With Oldsmobile V-8's using period Ford transmissions, the input shaft actually is not long enough, requiring a pilot adapter which extends the pilot bearing out from the recess in the crankshaft. I have several of those removed from engines.

I saw a transmission once where the guy cut off perhaps a inch on the pilot on input shaft with a saw, then ground the splines back a inch or so, looked like with a grinding wheel of some kind. HOT ROD PUNKS!