Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

frame questions.

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2013, 07:28 AM

frame questions.

What are the odds of finding a nice rust free frame for my 1947 model 78?

The work done on putting an S10 frame under mine isn't acceptable and I'm weighing options.

Any S10 is out because it's a truck and it rides too high in the back and the front track is too narrow.

77-96 GM B body looks like a good candidate. Very similar dimensions to the Olds body wise, though I am worried about the proportions and how much frame and steering gear is in front of the tires. Radiator install issues.

Mediocre interiors as donors.

2003-2011 Ford Panther chassis looks good with rack and pinion steering for little front overhang, very cool aluminum front crossmember and they're a dime a dozen. But the front track and the frame itself may be too wide. Wider than the GM B-body. Big plus?? It has been done! On a slightly later model.

Dull interiors.

The original frame for obvious reasons. Bolt on, but I'd want a modern front suspension. The rear suspension would need mods for modern duty but it's similar to the suspension used in NASCAR for years. It would be fine.

Opinions welcome.

Perusing more choices!

Second or third generation Toronado: Unique front wheel drive street rod for sure with no driveshaft clearance isuues. Similar enough dimensions. All Olds! 455 from the second gen, 350 with 4 speed auto from the third.

Indifferent and homely interiors IMHO though.

MN12 Ford subframes: Very advanced suspension and I get to put the wheelbase and frame wherever I want. They can be had dirt cheap, with really sophisticated and powerful engines. Beautiful interiors for donating purposes. Similar enough tracks.

(I think I should keep ALL of the donor components from the same manufacturer, maybe even just one car. Mixing and matching adds MUCHO complications. Also, I wouldn't have a half dozen donor cars sitting around.)

Dang! http://www.littleguysstreetrods.com/Thanks.htm

Last edited by peganit; January 28th, 2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: addenda
Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:59 PM

I'm seriously leaning toward the 92-97 Lincoln Mark VIII as a donor. Very sophisticated chassis and drivetrain and a running parts car can be had fairly cheap. The front and rear tracks are within an inch of each other.

They have suspensions on subframes both front and rear. You would have to make a fabbed frame, but that is also looking like a good move too, regardless. No factory donor frame is a very good match.

Last edited by peganit; February 2nd, 2013 at 06:02 PM.