Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

gas tank for 1937 olds v8

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2013, 07:05 AM

gas tank for 1937 olds v8

I'm working with my father-in-law to restore his 1937 Oldmobile. Gas tank ended up being completely rotted out and unrepairable. I'm really at a loss here as to where to find one. Nothing on ebay, tried submitting requests to sketchy parts dealers on the web, etc.
Any thoughts?
Old June 27th, 2013, 07:58 AM

Won't be cheep but if you still have the old rusted out one a good sheet metal shop could probably make one using yours as a model. I have also seen old obsolete tanks sand blasted clean and completely rebuilt with fiberglass resin and mat.... Just a thought ...Tedd
Old June 27th, 2013, 09:19 AM

Tanks Inc.

Originally Posted by Wisconsin37olds
I'm working with my father-in-law to restore his 1937 Oldmobile. Gas tank ended up being completely rotted out and unrepairable. I'm really at a loss here as to where to find one. Nothing on ebay, tried submitting requests to sketchy parts dealers on the web, etc.
Any thoughts?
I've used them and found them very helpful. Before you call get all of the measurements of the tank, which side it fills from (driver or pass.) and where the filler tube goes into the tank (i.e., toward the forward, middle or rear of the side of the tank).

They didn't have the exact tank for my 47 Olds but by talking to them it turned out a Buick tank they carried was virtually the same. You may find that Buick, Pontiac or Chevrolet would be interchangeable.
Jerry
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:17 AM

I am looking for a gas tank on my 56 for more than 2 years already. I am in constant contact with Fusick, who are about to rebuild several different model year tanks.
You may want to contact Dave at Fusick.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by The_German
contact Dave at Fusick.
Deciding to invest in the tooling to make gas tanks for '50s-era models, which are somewhat plentiful, and '30s-era models, which are much more scarce, are two entirely different things. By all means, contact Fusick and everyone else who makes gas tanks. But don't be surprised if you come up empty. You may have to adapt something else or keep looking until you find a serviceable used piece.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
stetzie

Don't know if this will help but, this vendor has tanks for 35-39 chevy's.
Might be something that would work for you.
Location is: 260 Welter Drive, Monticello, IA
Web address: www.tanksinc.com
Phone: 877-596-3842
stetzie
Old August 31st, 2019, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin37olds
Any thoughts?
I just had my 1937 Oldsmobile fuel tank sealed with the Renu process. First, they cut holes in the tank and sandblast inside & outside. They then boil it clean. Once dry, they completely coat the inside, outside, & filler neck with a black coating similar to
Por 15. It is then baked at 350 degrees for 4 to 6 hours. Once cured, your tank is hermetically sealed. Don't forget that the filler neck is two pieces screwed together.
The Renu process isn't cheap, but it works!
Russ
Old August 31st, 2019, 10:15 PM

Always good to get new information but this post is over 5 years old.... Tedd