Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Generator

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2023, 09:25 AM

Generator

Hey all, so yesterday I fired up my 55 olds super 88 for the first time in about a month and it’s been pretty cold out side lately, when I shut it off I noticed some smoke coming out of my generator, anyone know what this might mean? Last I checked a couple months ago my battery was charging so it seemed good to me but I never seen it smoke like that.
Old December 3rd, 2023, 09:34 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

I had the same incident with a '57 TBird. The problem was the voltage regulator sticking, so replacing the vr corrected the problem.

Hopefully you have a battery disconnect installed on your car, and use it when the car is not in use?
Old December 3rd, 2023, 11:29 AM

Oh ok yes I have it unplugged. Can you explain the sticking part in the VR a little more please. I’m not sure how it even works
Old December 3rd, 2023, 03:51 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

The voltage regulator (vr) controls the voltage output by the generator (gen). The vr guarantees the gen output is maintained at a constant range to support the automobile’s charging system. Inside the vr is a system of spring assisted switches responsible for constant gen output. Gunk, dirt, corrosion can be responsible for the malfunction of these switches. Another suspect within the charging system could be a shorted wire. Inspect wiring for frayed insulation. In my particular situation the vr switch stuck which motorized the gen but the belt prevented it from turning, which caused the gen to overheat (smoke).
Old December 3rd, 2023, 05:33 PM

Ok great that’s a lot of good info! I checked my regulator awhile back and it looked great inside however back then I didn’t know what to look for as far as contacts and what not. Is it possible the condenser on the gen is bad? The smoke was coming out of the front where the belt is. I’ve heard those original condensers almost never go bad and the modern made ones are junk.
Old December 3rd, 2023, 05:46 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...denser-128600/
Old December 5th, 2023, 05:40 AM

Voltage Regulator

Your problem may be your using a cheap Chinese regulator. I burned up two of these and a generator on my 48. The only reliable ones are nos GM or one from Eckler.
Old December 5th, 2023, 11:36 AM

That would make sense but mines the original delco remy and it’s spotless inside and I filed the points
Old December 5th, 2023, 12:22 PM

Did you clean the points after filing them? Hopefully you didn't change the spring tension on the cutout. If you saw smoke from the genny, it is probably damaged. I would have a look or let a rebuilder check it out.

Last edited by stellar; December 5th, 2023 at 11:26 PM.
Old December 5th, 2023, 01:20 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

I've never had much luck filing points in a vr, foremost because I never seem to have the correct tools necessary for the job. If it is done there is a proper way to do it though. Most folks grab an emory board and go to town on the points never thinking about cleanup, or yet, using the correct tools and meters for the job. Because of all this, I have found it best to replace if a vr is suspect.

Old December 5th, 2023, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by stellar
Did you clean the points after cleaning them? Hopefully you didn't change the spring tension on the cutout. If you saw smoke from the genny, it is probably damaged. I would have a look or let a rebuilder check it out.
no I didn’t change the points and I’m guessing it’s the contacts inside the gen cuz I think I’ve noticed it cut in and out before