Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Mystery Harness on Seemingly all 55's

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Mystery Harness on Seemingly all 55's

Anyone have any idea what these wires are for? All of my '55's have them just hanging down near the reverse / neutral safety switch on the column and none of them look like they've ever been anywhere. They're orange and white like courtesy lights and the orange one is continuous with the courtesy lights in the rest of the car. Wonder if this was for an accessory of some sort?

They don't show up in the wiring schematic either...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mystery Wires (Medium).jpg (79.5 KB, 39 views)
Old September 27th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Oldsdruid

Do any of your cars have underdash courtesy lights? That's the only thing I can figure.
Old September 27th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

yes - they do - and this seems to be part of that harness - but what I don't get is why it's under the hood and terminated (seemingly from the factory) at this location - down near the base of the steering column. The courtesy lights are all functional and complete and this seems to be an extension of that same system but for an unknown purpose. Like I said, all four of mine have these same 2 wires just hanging there in the same place and they all look like they've never connected to anything. I have to guess that GM must have sold an auxilliary underhood lamp or something that would plug in here - or maybe spotlites? Really really strange -
Old September 27th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Oldsdruid

I should have looked at the picture- I assumed they were inside the car.

I think you've hit on something with the underhood light.
Old September 27th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

yes...however, all these cars ALSO have underhood lights - which are fed on the passenger side with black power wire to the mercury switch...all in place and (somewhat) functioning. These wires are in addition to that...thickening the plot as it were...like I said, this is a pure curiousity question for me - I'm fairly certain that nothing is missing - I just like to know this sort of useless knowledge - I've got plenty of it stored away for future waste.
Old September 27th, 2011, 07:46 AM

Backup lights?

Could it be for your backup lights?Mine also has this wire setup and my backup lights don't work(missing the switch).I think this is the area that it would be located.....Tedd
Old September 27th, 2011, 07:55 AM

Those same wires are in the same location in my 57 as well. Could it have something to do with air conditioning or electric antenna?
Old September 27th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Could it be for your backup lights?Mine also has this wire setup and my backup lights don't work(missing the switch).I think this is the area that it would be located.....Tedd

No - back up lites are powered through the black wire in the harness plug that goes on the N/S - B/U switch (in background of the photo I attached in first post) - that black wire runs along the frame rail (Driver side) and up through the grommet in the trunk pan along with the fuel tank wire (strange how they ran the single backup lite wire along the frame - but all mine are like that) - the backup lites get the power from the yellow "bat" wire in that harness and when in reverse the switch sends the power to the black wire and to the back.

I'm thinking that the A/C or Power antenna feed may be a good theory - Erit - are you out there - doesn't your car have power antenna?
Old September 27th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Backup switch

Tedd,

This picture should be your setup - this is how the automatics should be. If your switch is missing I wonder if your Neutral Safety wires (purple) have been jumped? Or, if this switch is present, maybe the backup lite portion is either bad, or improperly adjusted - you could probe the black wire here when in reverse with the key on to see if you have power - I suspect if you do that the wire along the frame is missing or broken - very common due to their rough existence under there.

What I'd LOVE to see is this same setup but for a standard shift - there are two part numbers for two separate switches (backup and neutral safety) and I'm not sure how they fit in here - unless the N/S is on the clutch somewhere - anyone have a 50's column standard shift?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Neutral Safety.JPG (114.3 KB, 26 views)
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:34 AM

I got an orange and a ( I forgot ) wires going to the power antenna in my '56. Maybe its the same? The only other weird thing it could possibly be is for maybe a harness for the foot switch for the station seeker for the Wonderbar radio
Old September 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM

Gorden thanks for the picture and info on the backup light, that and wiper problems are on the list for this winter.....Tedd
Old September 28th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Gorden thanks for the picture and info on the backup light, that and wiper problems are on the list for this winter.....Tedd
anytime...hope you get them working - I know Fusick sells the switch for yours (auto) - so if you have the wiring harness you should be all set - may only cost you 12' of wire to the back of the car.