Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

PerTronix Electronic Ignition on my 55-20 minutes--ha!

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Jen

PerTronix Electronic Ignition on my 55-20 minutes--ha!

I think I successfully installed the Pertronix electronic ignition since the car started afterword, but not in 20 minutes as it claimed. However, I was unsure where the wires and the little grommet were actually supposed to come out of the distributor, so I hope that it is okay. Also, the flame-thrower coil was unsuccessful. The wire from the distributor would not fit on the coil. I put the old coil back on. So, is it possible to get a smaller wire? Any pictures of where the wires from the ignitor are actually supposed to come out?
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jen
I think I successfully installed the Pertronix electronic ignition since the car started afterword, but not in 20 minutes as it claimed. However, I was unsure where the wires and the little grommet were actually supposed to come out of the distributor, so I hope that it is okay. Also, the flame-thrower coil was unsuccessful. The wire from the distributor would not fit on the coil. I put the old coil back on. So, is it possible to get a smaller wire? Any pictures of where the wires from the ignitor are actually supposed to come out?
The wires are supposed to come out at the same spot the old wire came out. I don't understand what your talking about with the wire not fitting on the coil? Do you mean the terminal on the wire will not go over the post on the coil? My final question is did you replace the resistance wire feeding the coil from the firewall?
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Jen

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The wires are supposed to come out at the same spot the old wire came out. I don't understand what your talking about with the wire not fitting on the coil? Do you mean the terminal on the wire will not go over the post on the coil? My final question is did you replace the resistance wire feeding the coil from the firewall?
Got it! Just a couple of silly things were holding me back. I couldn't figure out where that red and black wire should come out of the distributor. That was because I didn't remove the other wire first....oops. I am learning. I have it finished now, I am just unsure about how to set the timing. It is running a little rough right now, it hesitates now and then like it might die.

Old November 14th, 2011, 07:40 AM

Did you remove the distributor? If so, it might be a tooth off. I have not bought a new Pertronix in about 15 years, and they have been working fine. But maybe the latest design vary from what I am familiar with.

The removal of the distributor and checking of how much slack is in the lower gear is a critical adjustment. If yours is within specs, then it is not an issue. But if there is too much play, when rpms increase, the distributor shaft rises (as it should) and the gap between the magnetic ring and the module increases. If that gap becomes too great, the engine will misfire. Adjusting the gap is not difficult on distributors I am familiar with, but I am not familiar with 55 distributors. On later model V8's, it is just a matter of removing the distributor, supporting the shaft, tapping out the roll pin and removing the gear, then placing the provided hardened washers on the shaft above the gear to shim the gear and reduce the amount of slack and the distance the shaft rises as rpms increase.

Have newer designs changed that, or is that still an issue?
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Aloha, Tony

Do you have a timing light?

Not sure what motor you have, but here is the procedure, just use the timing for your motor:

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...Sections_5.pdf
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Jen

Originally Posted by brown7373
Did you remove the distributor? If so, it might be a tooth off. I have not bought a new Pertronix in about 15 years, and they have been working fine. But maybe the latest design vary from what I am familiar with.

The removal of the distributor and checking of how much slack is in the lower gear is a critical adjustment. If yours is within specs, then it is not an issue. But if there is too much play, when rpms increase, the distributor shaft rises (as it should) and the gap between the magnetic ring and the module increases. If that gap becomes too great, the engine will misfire. Adjusting the gap is not difficult on distributors I am familiar with, but I am not familiar with 55 distributors. On later model V8's, it is just a matter of removing the distributor, supporting the shaft, tapping out the roll pin and removing the gear, then placing the provided hardened washers on the shaft above the gear to shim the gear and reduce the amount of slack and the distance the shaft rises as rpms increase.

Have newer designs changed that, or is that still an issue?
Whoa! I am very new to this. I just learned what and where the distributer even was about two months ago. So, I can say I did not remove the distributor, just the cap. Took the condenser, blue wire(whatever that was) and points out; then put everything from the PerTronix kit in. I changed the coil to the recommended Flame-Thrower one...that's as far as I could get alone. I do not have a timing light. But, I should be able to find help with that. What you said, "when rpms increase, the distributor shaft rises (as it should) and the gap between the magnetic ring and the module increases. If that gap becomes too great, the engine will misfire. Adjusting the gap is not difficult on distributors" does sound possible as it is misfiring. Now, I am too nervous to drive it much till I have someone else check out what is going on. I am still having fun though! As I take various things apart, they start to make much more sense.
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Jen

Originally Posted by 68442CONVERTCO
Do you have a timing light?

Not sure what motor you have, but here is the procedure, just use the timing for your motor:

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...Sections_5.pdf
324 Rocket
Old November 14th, 2011, 09:58 AM

My final question is did you replace the resistance wire feeding the coil from the firewall?

Is 12v being supplied to the Pertronix? If not it can act like this. Although mine ran without 12v it ran a lot better with 12v
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Jen

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
My final question is did you replace the resistance wire feeding the coil from the firewall?

Is 12v being supplied to the Pertronix? If not it can act like this. Although mine ran without 12v it ran a lot better with 12v
No, I didn't replace any wire from the firewall. Should I have?
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Jen

And thank you all, by-the-way, for helping and listening to my hard to understand questions! I don't know what everything is called yet so I just describe it the best I can or send pictures. I will get it!
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Yes, most definitely. Pertronix requires a full 12v to operate properly, as stated in the installation instructions. You probably have your resistor wire powering it now which is around 8v. You'll notice a world of difference when you change it over.
Old November 16th, 2011, 01:37 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

I have the petronix aswell part number 1183 just to let you know i am running it with the stock coil and runs just fine,stock 324 rocket.
cheers chris.
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Yes, most definitely. Pertronix requires a full 12v to operate properly, as stated in the installation instructions. You probably have your resistor wire powering it now which is around 8v. You'll notice a world of difference when you change it over.
X2, its generally a tannish insulated Nichrome wire. It's really stiff, it will be connected to opposite side of the coilform where you connected your dist., usually crimped in the same terminal as the wire coming from the starter. It runs between the coil and the plug on the firewall below the brake master cylinder.
Old December 10th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Jen

Okay, quick update. The timing wasn't off at all. I feel really silly, but all it was was the two plug wires I accidentally mixed up. 10 second fix. oopsie. It took my friends at the garage one minute to listen and know exactly what I did. For punishment, I was told I had to do a burnout upon test driving....and so, I did my first burnout in the olds! Didn't know she had it in her.
Old December 10th, 2011, 08:48 AM

Good job Jen! That's what i plan on doing with my 54 98 next year.
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:29 PM

curious jen did you still keep the vacume advance hooked up after installing the pertronixs?I thought i was told it wasnt necessary but its been a few years since i had the distributor worked over and i just installed the distibutor recently .Thanks Glen
Old December 11th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Good job! The vacuum advance is still necessary, and operates the same with the pertronix as it did with the points!
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Jen

Originally Posted by golds56
curious jen did you still keep the vacume advance hooked up after installing the pertronixs?I thought i was told it wasnt necessary but its been a few years since i had the distributor worked over and i just installed the distibutor recently .Thanks Glen
Yup.

And it is doing fine with the PerTronix. Starts right up.

Rode out with the Shakers CC last night and the Olds kept up like a champ! It was my first chance to really see what it could do on a longer highway trip....not called a rocket for nothin! Too much fun!
Old March 26th, 2012, 03:37 PM

Well i finally got my carbs back and installed ,i think i will post pics in the 56 owners forum.I still have a problem it seems with the pertronixs though seems i have a miss /vibration at about 1700 rpms and up,with a little black smoke from the right side.tried resetting the plugs they were coated with carbon after only a few minutes run time.I am not a mechanic so i need some help with this one.The guy (mayfair auto) that rebuilt the distributor went out of bussines ,seems he didnt put the ground wire back on it ,is that necessary? Also do i need a ground from the block to the frame,i dont remember removing one.I am hopeing its not the pertronixs as its out of warranty seeing i had the distributor done 7 years ago and its been on a shelf since then. Thanks Glen
Old March 26th, 2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jen
Yup.

And it is doing fine with the PerTronix. Starts right up.

Rode out with the Shakers CC last night and the Olds kept up like a champ! It was my first chance to really see what it could do on a longer highway trip....not called a rocket for nothin! Too much fun!
Jen, I'm not sure if you are following this thread anymore but I heard that your horn was honking when you turn the wheel, this is after you replaced th rubber donut.It's been my experience that that grommet is a little thiner than the original and it compresses more but if you back the steering wheel nut back a quarter turn all will be good again....Tedd
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Jen

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Jen, I'm not sure if you are following this thread anymore but I heard that your horn was honking when you turn the wheel, this is after you replaced th rubber donut.It's been my experience that that grommet is a little thiner than the original and it compresses more but if you back the steering wheel nut back a quarter turn all will be good again....Tedd
I will give it a try! The horn honking only happens when the weather drastically cools from the hot day to the cooler night. So, when I am rolling in to my garage from a fun night out at 3am...it honks a lot! My neighbors probably hate me (I live in a townhouse and we are crowded in). The horn is really loud.

I also have two bad valves. My dad came to visit and pulled the heads with me. I should have them back from the machine shop tomorrow. I am learning SO much doing this and can't wait to be back on the road this weekend with full power. Yay burnouts! While we have everything in pieces, which is both fun and terrifying, I am degreasing and dealing with some other minor issues, one of which can now be the horn. My dad immediately realized why I had so much trouble getting the distributor clamps on...I had the cap on backwards. oops. I can snap them on with one finger now. Everything is getting fresh, clean and lubricated. I have learned that an air compressor is probably on amazing thing to have. Dad and I are working old school, everything manually by hand. Including scraping gaskets, which isn't fun. If I had fancy air tools I coulda been done in minutes. Paying my hot rodding dues now for sure!
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice web page!
Old March 28th, 2012, 03:48 PM

You having any port work done, or perf valve job? Did you send heads to Ross?
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM
Jen

Clearwater Cylinder Head has them.
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:55 AM
Jen

Here is a little video of one part of the problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZQDc...ature=youtu.be
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

A little valve guide play there, eh?

- Eric
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM
Jen

Thats not all the bad business.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:00 AM
Jen

Pretty!!!! Just waiting on one more rocker arm assembly and I will be ready to go back together. This is a lesson in patience. I work fast, everyone else is slooooooow.

Last edited by Jen; May 22nd, 2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: add
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:01 AM
Jen

http://55olds.blogspot.com/A few more photos here.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jen, looks really impressive. Those rocker arm and bolts will turn up right after you spend the 195.00. That's how it usually works. From experience I've always noticed that they are hiding right in front of me, but I'm not seeing them......
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jen
http://55olds.blogspot.com/A few more photos here.
Looks like you're making excellent progress, keep up the great work!
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:39 PM

Yea heads look good Jen!
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Looking good, Jen! It won't be long now.

- Eric
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:29 AM

Saw the Roundup pic in your blog, did you attend? One of the best dang weekends of the year around here for cars, music, etc. Not a lot of Olds though and somehow missed the one you posted.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:39 AM
Jen

For the missing rocker arm asseblies and bolts, someone else still had them...now waiting for their return.

Yes, I went to Roundup! I rode in a 62 BelAir. All the way from Tampa, FL to Austin with straight pipes....my head felt like I had spent 22 hours at a concert, but it was great fun! We followed along with a 54 Chevy 210. As soon as we crossed the Texas state line the welcome committee was waiting. We were surrounded by 8 Sheriffs, yup, 8. Granted we are heavily tattooed folks riding in lowered old cars, but still, 8? I am a librarian for Christ's sake. I was probably quite a sight yelling, "I know my rights!"
I saw four Oldsmobiles the whole time and was surely missing mine, but it was great inspiration.

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Saw the Roundup pic in your blog, did you attend? One of the best dang weekends of the year around here for cars, music, etc. Not a lot of Olds though and somehow missed the one you posted.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:44 AM
Jen

Also, if I have ranted about my arch nemesis here, the distributor cap clamps, I need to share the problem. This was a learning moment. ONe of those silly, "oh, oops" kinda deals.

I struggled for 45 minutes getting the clamps on once when stranded. I struggled again when changing from points to Pertronix. I struggled two days when changing the cap.
Why were they so hard to get back on? I kept asking people if there was some trick I didn't know.
Dad came to visit to pull the heads with me. He immediately pulled the cap off and pointed out how I had it on backwards so the notch didn't fit in. What? Seriously? This thing had made me so frustrated I cried and all I had to do was turn it around. haha, I will never do that again.