Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Road trip

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2012, 05:40 PM

Road trip

I will be driving about 1400 miles this June to my new duty station from Florida to Massachusetts in my 1955 olds S88 Holiday 4 door with no A/C. Original 324 V8, w/ 76 Camaro alternator, Pertonix ignition and coil, electric wipers and a chrome air cleaner. I just did a carb rebuild on my Rochester 4bbl and changed the oil 10w40, and did a coolant flush. The car runs great here around town as my daily driver, and the longest I have run it is 3 hrs to Ft. Myers with no problems.
Any tips from folks that have taken long trips like this in and old car???
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:14 PM

Have fun on your trip and enjoy the ride.

Bring along;

tools, antifreeze & water, oil filter and oil to do an oil change when you get to your destination and additional oil in case you need to top off when fueling up, bring spare hoses and belts, be sure there is air in your spare, be sure the battery is good, have jumper cables and/or a portable power supply (maybe one w/ an air pump), be sure your jack works properly and bring along a 16" piece of 2x6 in case you get a flat and the shoulder is soft ground, flash light, a couple qts of trans fluid, a AAA membership wouldn't hurt or some type of equilivant from your Ins. Co. Spare fuses, headlight and other bulbs. Make sure your Fuel Gauge is accurate and keep an eye on the road signs for fuel stops,keep track of your mpg.
If you are traveling alone bring some music along as some of the radio stations in Ga, SC, and NC are pretty rotten.
Some car wash soap,bucket,towels,glass cleaner,paper towels wouldn't hurt, you will be killing bugs like mad,be sure to give the car a good wax before you go. Some rags to get dirty just in case.
You might be tempted to keep up w/ the flow of traffic and before you know it you'll end up in the 75-80mph area or more, just set your own pace you are comfortable with the car can handle, I-95 can get pretty nuts in areas.

Good luck and be safe

Almost forgot, the DC area can be pretty congested at certain times so an FM radio to listen to traffic news would not hurt and a hand held portable c/b radio is fun to bring along.

Last edited by jerseymike; May 8th, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:29 PM

Thumbs up Bugs

If you put a light weight screen like for a house screen door in front of
the radiator and spray the front of the car with PAM it will keep the bugs
from sticking when it's clean up time. I travel back and forth across the
country quite a bit and it makes cleaning the road kill off very easy. It
won't hurt the paint and it cleans right off with soap and water... Be safe,
enjoy the trip and thank you for your service.... Fred
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Mike,
Thanks for reminding me to check the jack. I would've forgotten that. The 2x6 is a great idea also. The rest I already have set. I do not look forward to DC traffic. Been there, done that, and I worry how my car will hold up in stop and go highway traffic in the heat.
Nufo,
That Pam idea sounds like a winner. I'll give it a shot. Love bugs are ridiculous.
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:56 PM

if you don't mind driving at night,it might make the DC area a bit more bearable and cooler

you can try Rt.301 around DC (to the east)..it's more local traffic,stop lights and such but you can check it out on a map or the 'puter to see if it suits you

Last edited by jerseymike; May 8th, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM

I think the schools let out in early June at latest so beltway traffic will be a little more forgiving, but one drop of rain or an accident will throw it back into a nightmare. There is construction on the west side in VA, lots of abrupt lane changes, milled pavement, and tight lanes so be alert if you go that way, especially at night. Avoid am and pm rush hour if possible. I think WTOP 103.5 FM has "traffic on the 8s" which is good. A GPS that shows traffic is a plus. If you have a road service/tow plan offered by your insurance carrier I would look into that for peace of mind. I've never done 301 but always thought it appeared a decent alternative. Also consider I-81 to the west if not too far out of your way and coming from the panhandle. The trip between Richmond and DC can also be a headache - moving but bumper to bumper the whole way. VA does not allow radar detectors, if you have one. Good luck.

Also look into an EZ Pass, you'll be smiling as you pass by the cars in line at the toll booths. You'll use it if stationed in the northeast and travel. Tolls start around Baltimore bridges and north on I-95. Shop around, some states have lower fees. You can have one set up from any state that's in the program. Mine is through PA.

Last edited by Russ P in MD; May 8th, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:05 PM

Taking 495 in Delaware will save you about 10 to 20 minutes v staying on 95, but watch for cops!!

Get off 95 at Woodhaven road in Philly, take route 1 north to the PA Turnpike and take the turnpike east towards NJ. the NJ turnpike turns into 95, but 95 from the PA NJ line, ends at Princeton, NJ. That will save you an hour.

Or, stay on Route 1 until you cross the bridge into Trenton, NJ, get on NJ-29 and take to 195 and take that to the turnpike. No construction, no bridge toll, will also save an hour, but the turnpike as mentioned above has construction and it's a craps shoot
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Russ P in MD

Also look into an EZ Pass, you'll be smiling as you pass by the cars in line at the toll booths. You'll use it if stationed in the northeast and travel. Tolls start around Baltimore bridges and north on I-95. Shop around, some states have lower fees. You can have one set up from any state that's in the program. Mine is through PA.

EZ Pass is a must...great suggestion!!!
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
Taking 495 in Delaware will save you about 10 to 20 minutes v staying on 95, but watch for cops!!

Get off 95 at Woodhaven road in Philly, take route 1 north to the PA Turnpike and take the turnpike east towards NJ. the NJ turnpike turns into 95, but 95 from the PA NJ line, ends at Princeton, NJ. That will save you an hour.

Or, stay on Route 1 until you cross the bridge into Trenton, NJ, get on NJ-29 and take to 195 and take that to the turnpike. No construction, no bridge toll, will also save an hour, but the turnpike as mentioned above has construction and it's a craps shoot
NJ Turnpike(North) tends to back up quickly around exit 7. If you get off @ exit 7 you can take Rt.301 (north) to I-195 and then try the Garden State Parkway (north). Most anywhere you will be traveling up to Mass will have tolls, it can get expensive.
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:50 PM
L69

On longer trips I always bring a spare 5 gallon container of fuel just in case my fuel gauge craps out. Paranoid of running out of fuel. Also duck tape, you never know when you'll need it. I always bring a small tool box with SAE wrenchs, sockets, pliars ect. And you may want to have some road flares as your car may not have flashers and even if it does if its anything like mine a battery doesnt last long on these old beasts without the alternator to charge it. If your car dies at midnight you will feel alot safer with a couple flares out. Good Luck.
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:51 PM
L69

Originally Posted by L69
On longer trips I always bring a spare 5 gallon container of fuel just in case my fuel gauge craps out. Paranoid of running out of fuel. Also duck tape, you never know when you'll need it. I always bring a small tool box with SAE wrenchs, sockets, pliars ect. And you may want to have some road flares as your car may not have flashers and even if it does if its anything like mine a battery doesnt last long on these old beasts without the alternator to charge it. If your car dies at midnight you will feel alot safer with a couple flares out. Good Luck.

I believe jerseymike got just about everything else
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:07 PM

All of the above and join the AAA. Cheap insurance. If you run out of gas, they'll bring some. Need a tow, up to 100miles (or so it is in the CAA). Make sure you have a ell phone with you too. I've driven from coast to coast in Canada and the US. Have fun.
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:44 AM

I would recommend going up to i26 go through Columbia. Head through charlotte nc.up thru shanendoah valley. Go thru Penn. Up thru the Delaware water gap. Pick up i84 into western mass. Miss a bunch of crazy traffic and much better scenic drive. Only a couple hours difference and under 100 miles... You'll arrive much more relaxed than i95.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:54 AM

Flares are a good idea. I have no E-lights so that may help if needed. Not as worried about running out of gas as I am at getting rear ended by someone not paying attention, but I do have a small gas jug in my kit.

If I have a little time I may go different routes to change the scenery or get away from traffic... there are good suggestions here...Thanks to each of you.
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:04 PM

X3 on most of the above as far as extra stuff you might need.I don't know how much old is still left in your car as most of us have replaced almost everything as time has gone by. I always take a look at wear parts that might have been replaced and are now again needing attention like brake shoes, your booster if you have one, vacuum and water lines all the little BS that will cause you grief once on the road, best to fix it first.

As far as 1400 miles in a 55 should be a piece of cake and a blast to boot. Wife and I have often trecked that far on vacations and so far no problems Just leave enough room so someone doesn't try and out brake you with their modern disks brakes. Speed shouldn't be a problem 70-75 is a good cruising speed for a well maintained 55....Have fun...Tedd
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Well, I got a new belt about a month ago and replaced the rear brakes and checked the fronts also about 3 months ago. I also replaced two vacuum lines and checked torque on the other fuel and vacuum lines. I have been doing what I can to make sure stuff is running good.
I have had the car just over 3 years now and I don't know much of the history behind it but it seems to be running well for me. Being this is my first long trip I am nervous and it is nice to get a little reassurance.
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jerseymike
NJ Turnpike(North) tends to back up quickly around exit 7. If you get off @ exit 7 you can take Rt.301 (north) to I-195 and then try the Garden State Parkway (north). Most anywhere you will be traveling up to Mass will have tolls, it can get expensive.
Yeah I was thinking that too. I know tolls on the NJTP have doubled. I'm actually considering taking 130 up to Englishtown this weekend and if I go that way, no tolls at all

Easier than what I said before:

Take 95 all the way to NJ. (Yardley/New Hope Exit 51 is the last exit in PA) and take the first exit after the bridge. Exit 1 NJ-29 and take towards Trenton.

29 turns into 195 just outside of town, you can take that to Exit 6 for the NJTP which puts you on the TP at exit 7A, or if you want to take the GSP (Garden State Parkway) all the way, 195 ends at the GSP. or you could take exit for the GSP on the NJTP.

You could avoid NYC althoughter if you take the GSP all the way up to New York State and take 287 towards the Tappen Zee Bridge. There is an exit that will take to towards New England, but I forget which one it is.

My ex's family lives in Briar Cliff Manor, NY

If you do take the GSP, be VERY careful in Orange (Exits 140-149) I had my accident at exit 146 because some ******* lost control of his car with 4 bald tires in the rain and smacked the Alero's left rear wheel and put me in a 900* spin. He was "sorry" Last time I when that way, there was an accident and is seems the road gets narrow there too

The turnpike drops you on the Parkway at exit 129, 195 drops you on the parkway at exit 99. The Parkway ends at exit 172
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would take one of those dogbone (I think that is what they are called) wrenchs. They have 8 different sizes and will cover lots of stuff. If you are taking a well equiped tool box, you might not need one. If you don't have your car setup for gas with ethanol in it, you need to do that. Now if we can suggest a couple more things, you will need a trailer hitch to pull a U-Haul to carry all the stuff. As already mentioned, watch out for the morons changing lanes in front of you. These old cars don't have antilock disk brakes and rack and pinion steering as you are aware. Have a great trip and let us know how it went.

One other thing. You mention your new duty station. Are you in the military? If you are, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
Yeah I was thinking that too. I know tolls on the NJTP have doubled. I'm actually considering taking 130 up to Englishtown this weekend and if I go that way, no tolls at all

Easier than what I said before:

Take 95 all the way to NJ. (Yardley/New Hope Exit 51 is the last exit in PA) and take the first exit after the bridge. Exit 1 NJ-29 and take towards Trenton.

29 turns into 195 just outside of town, you can take that to Exit 6 for the NJTP which puts you on the TP at exit 7A, or if you want to take the GSP (Garden State Parkway) all the way, 195 ends at the GSP. or you could take exit for the GSP on the NJTP.

My error.....YES to Rt.130......NOT 301

Rt.130 N to I-195E to Garden State Pkwy N,

but I like the idea of kitfoxdave, up thru Shenandoah Valley,that does sound much nicer of a trip.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:36 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Has anyone tried applying the green or blue painter's masking tape on the leading edges up front to protect from love bugs?

Good luck on the trip - Will you be passing through RI during the week of June 11?
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:40 PM

"Always Ready" Thank you for your service, it is sincerely appreciated.

Have taken I-95, I-26, I-77 to I-81 many times instead of I-95 several times and it was well worth it. If you avoid any DC traffic it makes up for the extra miles/time and is just a beautiful ride. Jump off I-81 if you have the time go onto the Skyline Drive for a few miles and then get back on I-81, you will love it.

That Olds will probably handle the trip like a 41' in a 2-3' seas.
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by aholiday
Well, I got a new belt about a month ago and replaced the rear brakes and checked the fronts also about 3 months ago. I also replaced two vacuum lines and checked torque on the other fuel and vacuum lines. I have been doing what I can to make sure stuff is running good.
I have had the car just over 3 years now and I don't know much of the history behind it but it seems to be running well for me. Being this is my first long trip I am nervous and it is nice to get a little reassurance.

being nervous is understandable, one thing i'm going to suggest for a pre-trip inspection is the rear end,be sure your fluid is at the correct level too.

Throwing in a new set of plugs won't hurt none unless you've done that already.

June is still a few weeks away, and when all is said and done you just have to say "this is it,it's time to go". Be sure to try and get some sleep before you leave but when I go out on long trips I find it difficult to sleep the night before,I'm always going over stuff in my head and most times I just leave,even if it's 2 or 3am. Sometimes it's just better to get it started and be out on the road.

Write stuff down,make a check list and don't over think it.

this might sound corney, but maybe a small video camera hooked up in the car to catch some of the trip for posterity...and something to talk to if you are going it alone. As I said the portable/handheld c/b (no external antenna mounted on car) is a fun thing to have along and you can always find a trucker just looking to gab.
Old May 19th, 2012, 04:14 AM

Thanks for all the travel tips. To answer a few questions; yes I am in the Military...USCG Aviation is my thing. I now plan to head to Broomall, PA for a few days before heading up to the Cape. I don't have a hard schedule that I need to follow so I will be taking it easy. My wife will be going up earlier than I, so it will be just me and the dog on the trip.
My car seems to be running well and with the tips each of you gave it should go smooth barring any unforseen problems.
I plan to add to this post as I head up to my new home and share anything that may seem relevant, unusual, or fun.
Again, thanks.
Old May 19th, 2012, 04:56 AM

Good luck on the trip and have fun,at least the dog will help keep you company.

Hope you don't mind but 1 more thing to add to your list, 1 or 2 spare set of keys,ya just never know.

Thanks for your service and I hope your new duty station works out for you.

If you update during the trip throw in a few pics.

You might want to think about parking that car for the winters in Mass or at least when there is salt and crap out on the roads.

Mike
Old May 19th, 2012, 02:52 PM

Have a safe and wonderful trip. When you get to boston, go to the No Name Resteraunt (that is the actual name of the place)on the Fish Pier. It is by far the Best seafood in that neck of the woods!
Old May 19th, 2012, 03:30 PM

Pam works for love bugs, Just don't leave it on too long, When de love bugs stop, get rid of the Pam before it hardens. You can get it off but it's a PITA [don't ask me how I know]
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:51 PM

So today I went to the scales for pre move empty vehicle weight. 4100 lbs without the spare tire. For comparison, my wife's Ford explorer, 4400 lbs. I will probably have a few hundred pounds of clothes, work gear and "fluids" added for the trip up.
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:12 PM

Broomall, PA! Yeah! Just southwest of Philly
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Pam works for love bugs, Just don't leave it on too long, When de love bugs stop, get rid of the Pam before it hardens. You can get it off but it's a PITA [don't ask me how I know]

I use WD40 on our daily drivers when getting out on the highway for long trips. Bugs wipe right off w a paper towel and another thin coat can be put on if necessary. it also doesn't hold on to too much grit off the road.

Never used it on the Olds just put a quick polish on sometimes to nose and bumper and lights.
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:06 PM

So today I went to the scales for pre move empty vehicle weight. 4100 lbs without the spare tire. For comparison, my wife's Ford explorer, 4400 lbs. I will probably have a few hundred pounds of clothes, work gear and "fluids" added for the trip up.
evenly loaded that's not too bad.

don't know what your plans are but use the back seat and trunk wisely,if your seats are cloth throw a towel or 2 over to protect them.

if you're worried about the weight, do a mock up w/ something close to the weight and check your shocks. you can max out your air pressures in the rear tires too,1-2 lbs over won't hurt none either.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:38 PM

Suspension is good...I finished that about 4 months ago...it rides about 2 inches higher in back now with new shocks and springs. The front was done about a year and a half ago. Other than riding like a boat on a smooth rolling wave, I am confident my suspension will handle the extra weight. I have done a few Sunday Funday's with the car packed with friends and gear on rides down Gulf Ave or trips to tailgate to games in Tampa. The car gets the attention and I don't get razzed much for being a Saints fan in Tampa.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:30 PM

I don't know about the 55s but I'd bring a squirt bottle along to cool of the starter just in case it gets heat soaked (my 455 is getting a HD starter today to prevent this) but you can also use it to clean the windows if necessary and give you and the dog a little cure for dry mouth
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:37 PM

I'll have plenty of water for me and the dog with no A/C to travel through the south, but I never heard of that starter issue... Is that a thing?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:57 PM

I'll have plenty of water for me and the dog with no A/C to travel through the south, but I never heard of that starter issue... Is that a thing?
on 455s it is, I can't even ride around the block and restart the car. I'm guessing it's not an issue with the 55s.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:20 PM

Never been a issue with mine, chances are you won't be using your starter as much as you would of around town.If it cranks good now it probably will work just fine for a long time....Tedd
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:25 PM

Suspension is good...I finished that about 4 months ago...it rides about 2 inches higher in back now with new shocks and springs. The front was done about a year and a half ago. Other than riding like a boat on a smooth rolling wave, I am confident my suspension will handle the extra weight. I have done a few Sunday Funday's with the car packed with friends and gear on rides down Gulf Ave or trips to tailgate to games in Tampa. The car gets the attention and I don't get razzed much for being a Saints fan in Tampa.

with all the work you've done to the car it sounds like you are ready to go.

I hope you have great weather for the ride. Put that baby into the wind and have an excellent trip.

mike
Old June 7th, 2012, 07:19 PM

First mile... Yeah, that's right, first €~£{?{•!?<•¥• mile. I broke down on my way out. Stalled at the light, had trouble starting it, got it running, but it would die as soon as i took my foot off the throttle. My rear second stage carb float stuck and was flooding my engine. Cleaned it out w/ carb cleaner, drained the rear bowl to start fresh, and wacked the top *** end of the carb with a hammer and she runs like a champ.
Couple hours off schedule but ok.
Rained lions and hyenas the entire route through Florida. White knuckles and dang near kissing my windshield. Soooo glad I swapped to electric wipers.
I used an iPhone app called ethenol free to ding good gas on my route.
Made it to upper South Carolina before I needed to rest. 5 hours sleep with all that morning stress and I need a beer, a shower and a nap.
Old June 8th, 2012, 04:53 PM

Made it to Broomall PA. No problems really. In the DC area the car got hotter than it ever has before a couple times but it never went in the red and went back down when I got back up to speed. I had to pump the brakes once so as not to tattoo a guy in front of me. Scary, but after a couple pumps they seemed to work fine. I'll check fluid level tomorrow. I'm tired. 21 hours total on the road in two days. Walking the dog a few times and talking to every guy, gal and even kids( they liked my dog) had to stop me and talk. At least it broke up the day.