Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Timing adjustment

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2023, 01:37 PM

Timing adjustment

Hey all, been trying to figure out reasons why my trans won’t shift up on my 55 olds super 88. Where I live the timing should be set at 14 degrees but I just realized it may only be at 7 degrees, could that be the reason my car won’t go out of first gear?
Old November 30th, 2023, 02:40 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Don't think so. It could be in the TV linkage going from the carb to the transmission.
Old November 30th, 2023, 02:53 PM

Ok. When I checked the timing I did it by myself so I turned the crank while having a screw driver sticking out of number 1 cylinder until it got to the highest point then had to make a mark on the balancer but also the rotor was point the opposite direction than #1 cylinder so I rotated it all the way around again and according to my mark it was at 14 degrees, the only way it stays on is because I have the idle screw all the way in. Is it possible I was on exhaust highest point and not compression?
Old November 30th, 2023, 04:10 PM

Yes, you may have been on exhaust. Remove 12V from the distributor and have a friend kick over the starter while you hold a finger over the #1 spark plug hole. Your finger will blow off when the piston moves up for compression. Just bring the piston up to TDC and mark your harmonic balancer.
Old November 30th, 2023, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Super88chris
Where I live the timing should be set at 14 degrees
I don’t understand why timing would be dependent upon geographical location.
Old November 30th, 2023, 04:59 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Unless it were based on altitude; which, in that case generally you can/should advance the timing 1°/1000 feet of elevation.
Old November 30th, 2023, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Unless it were based on altitude; which, in that case generally you can/should advance the timing 1°/1000 feet of elevation.
Unless he’s someplace such as Flagstaff, AZ the 14 degree setting doesn’t make “geographical” sense.
But back to the issue, the ignition timing setting would not have an impact on the transmission shift point.
Old November 30th, 2023, 05:56 PM
Running On Empty

Unless he’s someplace such as Flagstaff, AZ the 14 degree setting doesn’t make “geographical” sense.
But back to the issue, the ignition timing setting would not have an impact on the transmission shift point.
Understand, it would definitely have to be dependent on geographical "altitude". Yea, agree on timing should have no influence on trans shift point (that I'm aware of anyways?).
Old November 30th, 2023, 06:36 PM
Phantom Phixer

Ok. When I checked the timing I did it by myself so I turned the crank while having a screw driver sticking out of number 1 cylinder until it got to the highest point then had to make a mark on the balancer but also the rotor was point the opposite direction than #1 cylinder so I rotated it all the way around again and according to my mark it was at 14 degrees, the only way it stays on is because I have the idle screw all the way in. Is it possible I was on exhaust highest point and not compression?
Using a screwdriver in the spark plug hole might get you 10 degrees either way of true TDC. Not accurate at all.
There should be a 1/4 in notch in the rim of the balancer.
The right side of the notch is TDC. The left side of the notch is 5 degrees before TDC.
The factory setting was 5 degrees. As others mentioned, this setting is subject to revision today.
There will be a spiked pointer sticking out of the timing chain cover.
Check your timing with a timing light at idle, with the vacuum advance line disconnected and plugged.

As others have mentioned, ignition timing has nothing to do with transmission shift points.
Old November 30th, 2023, 06:50 PM

because when you live so high above sea level it takes longer for fuel to burn which is why these old cars need 14 degrees out here.
Old November 30th, 2023, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Using a screwdriver in the spark plug hole might get you 10 degrees either way of true TDC. Not accurate at all.
There should be a 1/4 in notch in the rim of the balancer.
The right side of the notch is TDC. The left side of the notch is 5 degrees before TDC.
The factory setting was 5 degrees. As others mentioned, this setting is subject to revision today.
There will be a spiked pointer sticking out of the timing chain cover.
Check your timing with a timing light at idle, with the vacuum advance line disconnected and plugged.

As others have mentioned, ignition timing has nothing to do with transmission shift points.
ok all great info to know which I did not do thank you. However I’m not sure if someone over the years replaced the bottom pulley or what but mine has no marks of any kind, I have looked for that notch before and it’s not there but I’ve seen in it on a different motor same 324 so I know what it looks like and mine looks different from that so I’m stumped
Old November 30th, 2023, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I never heard of this timing being so high either until I started working at this hot rod shop and they are the ones who explained the 14 degree timing to me, other than that yes I had thought it was 5 or 6 degrees according to how the factory made it. And yes I believe my issue is throttle valve too or bad trans which I’m not convinced of yet
Old November 30th, 2023, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Yes, you may have been on exhaust. Remove 12V from the distributor and have a friend kick over the starter while you hold a finger over the #1 spark plug hole. Your finger will blow off when the piston moves up for compression. Just bring the piston up to TDC and mark your harmonic balancer.
I will check all that thanks boss
Old November 30th, 2023, 07:24 PM

because when you live so high above sea level it takes longer for fuel to burn which is why these old cars need 14 degrees out here.
As discussed above, altitude is a factor.
Old December 1st, 2023, 08:19 AM
Phantom Phixer

ok all great info to know which I did not do thank you. However I’m not sure if someone over the years replaced the bottom pulley or what but mine has no marks of any kind, I have looked for that notch before and it’s not there but I’ve seen in it on a different motor same 324 so I know what it looks like and mine looks different from that so I’m stumped
If you have no timing marks, try this.
Get a vacuum gauge and hook it up to manifold vacuum.
Start the engine, and turn the distributor one way or the other until you get the highest vacuum reading.
Clamp the distributor down, and test drive it.
If it doesn't "ping" under load, you're good.
If it does ping, back off on the timing a little bit.