YASBT Yet Another Sway Bar Thread

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2022, 08:31 AM

YASBT Yet Another Sway Bar Thread

Found this on eBay, decided to give it a chance.
Sway Bar by PST on eBay

Looks like I can box in the bottom of the lower control arms to make them stronger.
Don't have to but it's a "might as well" to borrow one of Chris Witt's favorite lines... RIP, Chris!
Anywho, thought I'd share if anyone looking to put a bar under their wagon too.
Hope it fits! The standard montra for aftermarket parts!
Old April 30th, 2022, 02:23 PM

The sway bar came today. Taking a look at how it fits, looks like there is no way it will fit!!!

The bar will require to take up well an inch not including clearance between the mount and the shock.
I suppose if a spacer was used to move the shock forward, that may provide enough clearance... maybe.
On a positive note, the 1/4 drive 13 mm socket I thought was lost forever was stuck in a suspension pocket and I was able to retrieve it. Fantastic!
Old April 30th, 2022, 06:13 PM
72 Olds CS

Unfortunate, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old April 30th, 2022, 07:34 PM
Banned

What The 🤬 is YASBT??
Old May 1st, 2022, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
What The 🤬 is YASBT??
it’s right in the title.
Yet Another Sway Bar Thread
Old May 1st, 2022, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Unfortunate, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
So true!
Now have to repackage, get a return authorization and take time to deliver to shipping. Hopefully, don’t have to fight on return shipping. I’m super busy right now with house stuff, car stuff, job stuff, etc.
Old May 1st, 2022, 08:02 AM

Does the sway bar fit inside the control arm?there are two stiles 64 to 72 and 73 and up
Alain red W-31
Old May 1st, 2022, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by alain
Does the sway bar fit inside the control arm?there are two stiles 64 to 72 and 73 and up
Alain red W-31
Fits to the inside of the control arm. They have spacers that go to the inside, the bolt runs through everything.
The bar would need to run through that V section in my picture. I'm not sure if it wouldn't interfere with the shock mount but I think it would.
It looks like the bar, the shock and the shock mount all would occupy the same space.
Old May 1st, 2022, 10:46 AM

Can you post an inside pic of the control arm from where it mounts to the chassis to where it mounts to the rear axle? IOW, a full side shot of the control arm taken from the middle of the car.
Old May 1st, 2022, 12:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

The listing in the link you provided claims that the bar fits every full size GM from 1965 to 1996, including mid-70s Toronados. I find that hard to believe, given the differences in tread width, suspension geometry, etc.

And then, there's this (which contradicts the list right below this statement). Sorry, but this does not build confidence.

Old May 1st, 2022, 01:31 PM

You could try it nothing ventured nothing gained
But Mr Padavano has a good point
Alain red W-31
Old May 1st, 2022, 01:41 PM
Running On Empty

I don't have much good to say about many (in particular) automotive parts/supplies websites. What many (often) don't know is the reason poor information is handed out may (or may not) be the result of the coding of the web page itself. When I first viewed the same link (URL) as Joe, I received the exact same response (Joe's image above). I changed the attributes i.e. I purposefully selected the "Check Fitment". The web page loaded with a different result (see my image below). I'm going to perform a slight maneuvering test to see just how badly that web page is rendered (more to follow).

Old May 1st, 2022, 02:04 PM
Running On Empty

I cleared my Browser of cookies & site data, returned to the original link (URL) and the original (first post - as per Joe and my first attempts) rendered the page as Your Selected Vehicle Does Not Fit. I then instantiated (clicked on) the Check Fitment icon - I received results (2nd image below) as Your Selected Vehicle Does Fit. But, it's even better, the rendered page isn't the same as the first rendered page I posted in Post #12.

When you call these guys (whoever that may be), you might mention their advertising is whacked. I have other things to do, but that URL is nothing at all similar to the default eBay listings URL.

I'm done - that web page is beyond hope. I reviewed several active elements on the web page and it's listed search criteria (Google Bot) is "handlebars". I am not digging deeper. You get what you pay for - in this case nothing - poor web design.

Old May 1st, 2022, 03:52 PM

So we are getting nowhere on this issue
Maybe try G body rear sway bar? just an idea?
Alain red W-31
Old May 1st, 2022, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 72455
Can you post an inside pic of the control arm from where it mounts to the chassis to where it mounts to the rear axle? IOW, a full side shot of the control arm taken from the middle of the car.
Probably a moot point but per the request, here are a couple of pics.

Old May 1st, 2022, 07:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

The 1977-1996 B-body wagons didn't come with rear sway bars from the factory. The rear axle and suspension arms are different than those on the sedans. This was done to allow enough room between the rear inner wheelhouses to carry a sheet of plywood flat in the back of the car. Consider trying a 1973-77 A-body rear bar, which fits to plates on the bottom of the lower control arms instead of the inside vertical surfaces. That should clear your shocks. I wasn't aware that the shocks were staggered on the whale body cars. My 1980s wagons had both shocks on the backside of the axle housing. Alternately, get an aftermarket bar that clamps to the bottom of the axle tubes and runs links to the frame instead of bolting to the LCAs. That should also clear your shocks. The 1992-up Crown Vic rear bar and mounting hardware has been used on these B-body wagons, as an example. Aadco sells a 1" bar for this application.

Old May 1st, 2022, 11:23 PM

That is an interesting aftermarket concept there. I don't know whether to be impressed or to start whistling "Ghetto Superstar."
Old May 2nd, 2022, 05:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
That is an interesting aftermarket concept there. I don't know whether to be impressed or to start whistling "Ghetto Superstar."
If you're talking about the Crown Vic bar, that's how the factory attached it to the CV. Lots of aftermarket rear bars use the same clamp-on mounting. I agree, as an engineer I'm not thrilled with the clamp-on concept, but it's been used a lot.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 05:45 AM

The Crown Vic bars have been used for years on the wagons. I find that they are a little too close to the tank for my liking.

The rear arms of the wagons are the same as the ones on the sedans, but the axle is 2 inches wider, and the arms are correspondingly moved out the same amount, so the sedan bar will not fit the wagon. There are inserts that are bolted into the arms at the two sets of holes on the sides, and the bar is then bolted to the bottom of the inserts. Some make a plate that protrudes to the inside of the arm, and is bolted to the sedan bar. You may have to leave a space below the arm to accomodate the nut for the bar, or use a countersunk flathead machine screw, and put the nut on the bottom. It is not a bad idea to box the arms, especially if you are road racing, because the bar puts a lot of strain on the arms when twisted, and can bend the arms.

There is an bar made for the wagon,
Option 1: Ford Crown Vic swaybar
Making a sedan rear swaybar fit
Other discussion
Yet another discussion
Old May 2nd, 2022, 05:12 PM

Thank You all for the comments and insights on the topic. I sent pictures to PST's Engineering Tech to discuss, so I'll entertain that for a bit. The initial response was "Did you read the instructions?". I snorted my soda a little bit at that comment... like this was my first rodeo on the topic. Will keep the group in the loop, I will want to get this issue resolved first be fore I move on to a different design. Have some reading to do! Thanks for everyone's input!
For your viewing pleasure here are the custom lower arms and the beefy bar that was under my 11 second 1987 Custom Cruiser:

Old May 2nd, 2022, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If you're talking about the Crown Vic bar, that's how the factory attached it to the CV. Lots of aftermarket rear bars use the same clamp-on mounting. I agree, as an engineer I'm not thrilled with the clamp-on concept, but it's been used a lot.
Oh. Yes. Yes, I was. Ok, I guess it's proven.

Old May 5th, 2022, 05:07 PM

This just got more interesting. They sent me a new bar and instructions....