Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Olds SI vs. Buick Ralley wheel

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Olds SI vs. Buick Ralley wheel

Hey,
I'm new to the Olds venue and cannot see the difference between the SI and the Buick Ralley wheel. Can anyone point out the differences if any? Does anyone know if the caps are interchangeable between the two? Thanks, Mike
Old November 18th, 2010, 11:40 AM

The Buick wheels have a slight dish/slope to the spokes for one.
Old November 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Olds fanatic

A pic is worth a thousand words. As Oldsmaniac pointed out, you can see the slope or curve of the Buick rim as opposed to the straight spoke on the Olds rim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
spareTires 002.jpg (65.4 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg
buick rally wheel.jpg (85.6 KB, 187 views)
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Are the Chevelle SS396 wheels the same as the Olds SSI? I realize they have different center caps and finishes. I think Motor Wheel Corp made both of them. Not sure who made the Buick wheel.
Old November 19th, 2010, 06:33 AM

Yep, the pictures say it all. I imagine anyone putting Buick wheels on a Cutlass would be flogged so I will stay away from them. Thanks
Old November 19th, 2010, 07:10 AM

I agree with 6inarow. The Chevelle SS wheels do look identical. Has anyone used these for an Olds application?
Old November 19th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Measure the lug bolt pattern. I just sold a set of mid-70's Buick Ralley rims with tires because they would not fit on my '68 due to the lug pattern.
Old November 19th, 2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I agree with 6inarow. The Chevelle SS wheels do look identical. Has anyone used these for an Olds application?
From what I understand the Chevy, Ford, Chrysler 'Magnum' wheels all used the same wheel centers (Kelsey-Hayes, IIRC) as the Olds SS1. The most discerning difference was the Olds has polished spokes whereas the others were painted Silver.
Old November 19th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Motor Wheel Corporation

Check this link http://www.dantiques2.com/automobilia/m500/index.htm for some additional information on the history of the Mag 500/SSI rims.

Last edited by scott_442; November 19th, 2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old November 19th, 2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mike H.
Hey,
I'm new to the Olds venue and cannot see the difference between the SI and the Buick Ralley wheel. Can anyone point out the differences if any? Does anyone know if the caps are interchangeable between the two? Thanks, Mike
The SSI wheels have satin chrome spokes that are wider on their outer edges and narrow as the go towards the center and the rest of the wheel is black. The Buick wheels are usually all chrome with only black in the insert area and the spokes are thin from end to end. Caps are interchangeable but you will have to use longer bolts to put the Olds cap on the Buick wheel.

Originally Posted by kpl70sx
A pic is worth a thousand words. As Oldsmaniac pointed out, you can see the slope or curve of the Buick rim as opposed to the straight spoke on the Olds rim.
Originally Posted by 6inarow
Are the Chevelle SS396 wheels the same as the Olds SSI? I realize they have different center caps and finishes. I think Motor Wheel Corp made both of them. Not sure who made the Buick wheel.
Yes, they are exactly the same as far as the metal stamping but the Chevy coded wheels are worth a lot more.

Originally Posted by Atdog
Measure the lug bolt pattern. I just sold a set of mid-70's Buick Ralley rims with tires because they would not fit on my '68 due to the lug pattern.
The Riviera wheels look almost the same as the A-body wheels but are a bit different in appearance and they are 5x5 bolt pattern.

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
From what I understand the Chevy, Ford, Chrysler 'Magnum' wheels all used the same wheel centers (Kelsey-Hayes, IIRC) as the Olds SS1. The most discerning difference was the Olds has polished spokes whereas the others were painted Silver.
And, obviously the bolt pattern is different and many of the Mopar and Ford versions were full chrome like the 69 and back 14x6 and the one year 14x7(1971) Olds SSI was as well.
Old November 20th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Atdog
Buick sport wheels were made in both the 5 x 4.75" and the 5 x 5" bolt circles. The SSI wheels (and the Chevy versions) were only made in the 5 x 4.75" bolt circle, however the similar Magnum 500 wheels WERE made in the 5 x 4.5" bolt circle for Ford and Chrysler.
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by orange442
Yes, they are exactly the same as far as the metal stamping but the Chevy coded wheels are worth a lot more.
Can you give me the idea of the value of a set of original Chevy coded wheels off a 1970 Chevelle SS? I know someone selling a set that I may want to pick up for my 71 Cutlass since they're essentially the same and I like the look of the SS1s. Curious to know how much the Chevys are worth vs Olds as this is the first time I've heard they're more valuable.

Thanks!

Last edited by TenMidgets; October 25th, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old October 25th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
The most discerning difference was the Olds has polished spokes whereas the others were painted Silver.
No, the Olds spokes are not polished, they are satin finished. Except for some very early '66 ones. Before they discovered the black paint was not sticking to the centers, so they started bead-blasting the centers so the paint would stick.

Originally Posted by scott_442
Check this link http://www.dantiques2.com/automobilia/m500/index.htm for some additional information on the history of the Mag 500/SSI rims.
Except (not surprisingly) it is not accurate for Olds at all, so I wouldn't trust it for anything.
The 795 SSI was '66-'67 and most of the year '69, but in April '69 they came out with the 810 SSI that fit disc brakes too. (Yes, I know some early '68s got the SSIs., but it was not a '68 wheel.) The '70 SSI was 7" and entirely different.
Old October 26th, 2012, 09:04 AM

I just pulled the trigger on a set of SS1 wheels and tires from a 70 Chevelle! Can't wait to prep them and get them on my Cutlass to see how they look. I suppose if I miss the SSIIs I can always put them back on, but I think the black inner area of the wheels will set it off well and not as much blue since my interior and top are also black.
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM
delete

I think they'll look nice. What did you end up picking them up for?
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:53 PM

I hope so. The set is complete w/ center caps and radials that have a lot of life left. Just need the rocket decals...price $350.