Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

opinions on Super Stock I (SSI) center caps

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2011, 03:09 PM

opinions on Super Stock I (SSI) center caps

I recently purchased some SSI rims from Specialty Wheel and am now chasing down center caps for them. I'm seeking feedback from anyone who has bought caps from the following vendors:
  • motorcitysupercars (eBay)
    • pricey at $34.95 each; no retainer nor bolts
  • The Parts Place
    • $94.00 for complete set - caps, retainers, bolts
  • Tamraz (eBay)
    • $79.95 for complete set - caps, retainers, bolts
  • Fusick
    • $34.50 each; includes retainer and bolts
  • Original Parts Group
    • $186.95 for set - caps and retainers (no bolts)
If there are other vendors out there please reply with those as well. Thanks
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:43 PM

There was somebody on Ebay selling NOS caps a while back for $40/each. Supposedly they had bought out a dealership and had a bunch of the caps but I haven't seen the ad in a while so maybe they sold out.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Thornton Reproductions http://thorntonmusclecars.com/CAPS (same people making everybody happy with the hoods) is now selling caps. They also had an ad on Ebay a while back..something like $140 for 5 caps complete with retainers, emblems, etc. I have been planning to buy a set from them but haven't gotten around to it.

Just make sure the caps you buy have the ridge around the outer edge or somebody will point that out at a car show !

Let us know what you eventually buy and how they work out...Thanks.

Last edited by scott_442; September 14th, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM

I just got the "embossed" ones from tamraz. I'm happy, look really nice especially for the money. Keep in mind, they don't have the little should around the bottom like the orig olds caps have. These are flat like the chevelle center cap.
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by scott_442
There was somebody on Ebay selling NOS caps a while back for $40/each. Supposedly they had bought out a dealership and had a bunch of the caps but I haven't seen the ad in a while so maybe they sold out.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Thornton Reproductions (same people making everybody happy with the hoods) is now selling caps. They also had an ad on Ebay a while back..something like $140 for 5 caps complete with retainers, emblems, etc. I have been planning to buy a set from them but haven't gotten around to it.
I did happen to follow the auction for the NOS caps, but didn't want to spring the big bucks on them. In the end the cost would be around $200 for caps, retainers/bolts (from another vendor) plus shipping. Too much for me.

In regard to Thorntons, I almost listed them above, but couldn't find the pricing. Thanks for bringing attention to them.
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by chuck_royle
I just got the "embossed" ones from tamraz. I'm happy, look really nice especially for the money. Keep in mind, they don't have the little should around the bottom like the orig olds caps have. These are flat like the chevelle center cap.
Thanks for sharing the info.
Old September 15th, 2011, 04:59 AM

I bought the Thorntons ones about a year ago and was very happy. They look like originals. Got 5 with everything for $125. I also bought some other stuff thou. Give them a call.
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Nothing beats NOS caps
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by scott_442

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Thornton Reproductions http://thorntonmusclecars.com/CAPS (same people making everybody happy with the hoods) is now selling caps. They also had an ad on Ebay a while back..something like $140 for 5 caps complete with retainers, emblems, etc. I have been planning to buy a set from them but haven't gotten around to it.

Just make sure the caps you buy have the ridge around the outer edge or somebody will point that out at a car show !

Let us know what you eventually buy and how they work out...Thanks.
Well, I decided on the Thornton caps. They cost me $158 shipped (was ticked off I had to pay a few extra dollars to deliver to residential address). The total included the retainers and bolts + insurance.

center cap w retainer.JPG center cap side shot.JPG

To the naked eye they look identical to factory caps (which are on my Supreme); however, feel slightly lighter by weight. I'm going off memory on the weight comparison. Only time will tell if the quality is top-notch, but I'm happy overall.
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:27 PM

SS1 original wheels

I have 5 original SS1 wheels on my 1970 442, 14"x7" I'm trying to find out if anyone here can steer me in the right direction, I'm looking for someone to re- chrome the spokes. or re-chrome and restore the wheelsto return them to the original state. I live in New Jersey, for a starting location............

Thanks

Joe