after a good cleaning my cylinders look bad, going .060 over...

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:14 PM

after a good cleaning my cylinders look bad, going .060 over...

opinions on quality and price on these ebay items:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/L-K-B...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...Q5fAccessories

i was not looking to shell out for machining and new pistons, was trying to keep this a simple budget build for my first attempt so looking to save a few bucks, but not end up with junk.

any other advice for cheap but good .060 over pistons?

69 455 block, now .030 over but going to be .060 over
stock crank -mains .020 under rods .010 under
new extra quart pan+ melling hv oil pump
hei distributor
edelbrock performer 2151 intake
edelbrock carb- i have 3 in good shape(scored FREE) not sure what they
are yet but will most likely rebuild one of these
J heads(ya i know) may upgrade if i score a deal
new valve covers, air cleaner, fuel pump, water pump, plugs, wires, stat, the usual stuff

havent made my decision on cam yet but would like to get a "kit" with the springs-clips-seals-lifters-pushrods-etc
recommendations welcome here!

going in front of a th375(also be getting some work) with a factory peg-leg rearend(for now) in a 72 delta royale conv.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:29 PM

First of all I'd take it to a machine shop to see if it would clean up at .040. Why go .060 if you don't have to. Normally they can just hone it to that size from .030, might save you a buck or two.

That second set of pistons look real cheap, in quality that is. Look like Badgers or another real cheap cast piston. May as well go with a little less dish if you're going to get new ones. You can probably get a set of KB' s Hypereutectics for about the same as those and they're a better piston, and come in .040 over too.

Can you be more specific on what you're looking for on a cam, I can help.

Last edited by cutlassefi; March 3rd, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:34 PM

I have a good set on large valve E heads off of a 70 Toro in good shape I'll let go for $200.00 and I live in Bothell, WA so you could come by and pick them up. PM me if you are interested. I also have a set of Ga heads small valve in good shape. I wolud also not go over .40 if I did not have to

The first ad is not a great deal at all. Check Summit and other sources to confirm pricing e-bay deals are not always good deals
I would not go with the cast no-name pistons in the second ad
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I have a good set on large valve E heads off of a 70 Toro in good shape I'll let go for $200.00 and I live in Bothell, WA so you could come by and pick them up. PM me if you are interested. I also have a set of Ga heads small valve in good shape. I wolud also not go over .40 if I did not have to

Sounds like a plan. With a KB 277 .040 and a .020 deck, based on a 80 cc head you'd have about 9.7:1 compression. Pretty good in my book.

The first ad is not a great deal at all. Check Summit and other sources to confirm pricing e-bay deals are not always good deals
I would not go with the cast no-name pistons in the second ad
Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:35 PM

i am looking for good torque and power from idle up. id like my power band broad and early, i drive this car A LOT and only having power after 3k doesnt do anything for a street car. id like as much power as possible but not cost too much. after all a delta conv is never going to be a racecar lol

you can hone a cylinder from .030 to .040? is this something i can do myself? i have a 120grit hone and a 240grit hone, bought yesterday. it was after passing it through the cylinders for 30-40 seconds and cleaning them that i was able to assess my situation. there was one cylinder that sat with some water in it and has some corrosion, a couple with vertical grooves and a few with very minor marks at the top of the cylinders, and a couple that looked just fine afterwards. im not sure what is to be expected, or what is acceptable to put it back together but ill have a shop look at it tommorrow. as you guys cant drag your fingernails over a photo theres probably not any point of posting photos of them
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:32 AM

I should let a shop do the honing between .30-.40 (with a torque plate if possible)otherwise u can end up with oval cylinders ,been there done that
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:23 AM

If you bought a set of hones and want to do the work yourself I suggest you buy a set of pistons that will match your current bore and install them, either that or use your current pistons. I commented on your other thread that the TRW 2323F pistons are reasonably priced; however, after reading your comments it seems you want to do this yourself on a budget. There is nothing wrong with that. Anything that you do to the engine will be an improvement over doing nothing.
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:36 PM

after having the machinist check it out he doesnt think going another .010 will clean the problems up well enough so looks like ill end up with .060 over stock cyl diameter. now for the piston hunt....
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:10 PM

I didn't see it but I'm surprised. Must be some pretty deep scratches.

There are other pistons out there, SRP, Probe, Speed Pro. But being on a budget I'd still take a hard look at the KB 277's.
Old March 5th, 2010, 04:37 AM

doesnt think going another .010 will clean the problems up well enough so looks like ill end up with .060 over stock cyl diameter.
Did your machinist think going .030 over would be an option? It is always a good idea to do as little boring as possible so you have an opportunity to bore again down the road if needed.
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I didn't see it but I'm surprised. Must be some pretty deep scratches.

There are other pistons out there, SRP, Probe, Speed Pro. But being on a budget I'd still take a hard look at the KB 277's.
X2

I have the KB 277's in my 57 Olds 455 and they worked out great
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:52 AM

well my block is starting out at .030 over so my choices now are .040 and .060..... kinda stuck with the .060 looks like, but i see the point in saving some cylinder wall for later on down the road.

after doing some looking around i have indeed decided on the kieth black 277-060 pistons and summit(hastings) rings.

that just leaves my head and cam choice. i have the "J"s but might as well go with a better head