Noise from valve train when cold - need help

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2012, 10:35 AM

Noise from valve train when cold - need help

Hello,

I have a 1964 Oldsmobile 98. I bought the car a few months ago and have not driven it much. When i bought the car i drove it 3 to 4 times for about 30 minutes and the engine was super smooth without any noises at any time.

I am in the process of redoing the interior and fixing many things, so the car has sat in my driveway for about 3 weeks without being started. A couple of days ago I started the car and I hearing a tapping/ticking sound that seem to come from the driver head. After about 2 minutes the noise gets reduced significantly to the point that with the hood closed you can not hear it.

This is the first classic car i have worked on and I was planning to take the motor out to change all the gaskets (except for head gasket) and clean the exterior of the engine and repaint the valve covers. I am now afraid that there could be something major going wrong with the engine.

Can any one provide any advice on what that sound could be? it seems to be related to the fact that the car sat there for a few weeks, also why would the noise almost go completley away after warmup.

The car has an oil pressure gauge, and it shows 50 PSI at startup then it works is way down to about 25. Any help would be appreciated.

Also if I do need to change parts on the valve train, what book or source of reliable information would you recommend?

Last edited by fv64olds98; October 29th, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Mr. Johnson

If you think you have it pinned down to one side. Pull the valve cover on that side remove the dist. and prime it a few times with a drill. Make sure to see if all the rods are pushing oil up to the arms. Could also be a stuck lifter. or if you have and old valve cover cut the middle out to make a window and run the engine and inspect.
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:00 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Sounds like it's just a lifter, always let it "pump up" and let the engine get to operating temp before driving. If the lifter doesn't "pump up" and keeps tapping after warm up, then I would dig into it otherwise it's fairly common.
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Hello rjohnson442 ,

Thanks for the tips. I was wondering what do you mena by prime it with a drill. Do you mean to turn the motor?

Would i be able to achieve the same thing by turning the motor with the starter with the battery disconnected?

Thanks for your help
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:33 AM

Hello rjohnson442 ,

Thanks for the tips. I was wondering what do you mena by prime it with a drill. Do you mean to turn the motor?

Would i be able to achieve the same thing by turning the motor with the starter with the battery disconnected?

Thanks for your help
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:35 PM

I think he meant pull out the distributor and use a drill with an extension to turn the oil pump (which is located below the bottom of the dist). This will force oil in to the passages and pump up the lifters, which then pumps oil thru the push rods and to the rocker arms. (that is how the rockers get oil). You may have a rocker arm that has come a bit loose, but that is not common. IMO, if the sound goes away after just a short warmup, I would agree it is lifter clatter. Very common with older lifters, and no need to worry about it. If it doesn't quiet down almost all the way, then it probably bears more looking in to. Maybe check if you have a dry rocker arm. That could point to a bad lifter or a clogged oil passage.
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Thank you RandyS
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Administrator

When was your oil changed last? If it has not been changed in a while you can add a qt of Rislone, Marvel Mystery oil, trans fluid, etc... to free up a sticky lifter. Drive it for 1000 miles and then change your oil.
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Mr. Johnson

Exactly what Randy said. You can do it with the starter but then everything is moving and harder to see. with the drill method the valvetrain is not moving and easier to see the oil coming up through the rods to the rocker arms and oil doesn't splash and fly everywhere. If it ticked all the time I'd start tearing it apart. I know how noises are and they drive me nuts too.
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Mr. Johnson

If you do use the drill. it's ccw to prime and make SURE you tape or get a locking extension for the socket. You don't want to drop that down the hole! I think it's a 5/16" socket (Correct?)