applying W30 stencils?

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2012, 04:59 AM

applying W30 stencils?

My brother just painted my 70 442 convertible and the paint looks great. I tried to put on one of the hood stencils from the parts place and ruined it. Once it sticks, you cant correct for mis alignment. Is there any product out there for floating the stencil around to get it positioned ? This type of stencil uses 3 M backing. You pull the paper backing off, apply the stencil, then pull the top paper off to expose the tape. Any advice would be greatfully appreciated!
Old September 1st, 2012, 08:03 AM
Shoveling Snow

Use a solution of a couple of drops of dish soap to a gallon of water. Use a spray bottle to apply to the paint and run your hand over the solution to get rid of the bubbles. Use a squeegee to push the solution out from under the stencil. Let the stencil dry for a little while before removing the transfer paper.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
Use a solution of a couple of drops of dish soap to a gallon of water. Use a spray bottle to apply to the paint and run your hand over the solution to get rid of the bubbles. Use a squeegee to push the solution out from under the stencil. Let the stencil dry for a little while before removing the transfer paper.
Somebody I know mentioned soap water. I was afraid the soap water would damage the adhesion of the tape to the body. Have you ever tried this? Thanks!
Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
Shoveling Snow

The trick is to use just a couple of drops of dish soap to a gallon of water. I use this solution all the time when putting a mask on my glass when sandblasting and other decals. The trick is squeeging the water out without damaging the vinyl. Be gentle!
Old September 2nd, 2012, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
The trick is to use just a couple of drops of dish soap to a gallon of water. I use this solution all the time when putting a mask on my glass when sandblasting and other decals. The trick is squeeging the water out without damaging the vinyl. Be gentle!
I'll give it a try. THANKS!!!
Old September 4th, 2012, 06:17 AM

these stencil kits work great for the hood but you will have to play with them or even customize them to get them to work proerly around the wheel wells,
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:28 AM
72 Olds CS

windex works good too for aligning decals and emblems and squeeging out bubbles etc