Vista Cruiser Replacement Door Seals

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2023, 02:35 PM

Vista Cruiser Replacement Door Seals

Hi All, in addition to the tailgate sash issues I just posted about, I've decided to replace the door seals. The front ones are definitely shot and I might as well do the back too. There are plenty of good posts on this site on the subject, and as the preferred maker seems to Steele Rubber, I will go with them. However I do have a couple of other questions.

1) Do the both front and rear seals fasten with pegs? The pics and description for the Steele website show and mention these pegs for the rear seal, but not the fronts. On the other hand the Metro website shows both front and rear door seals with fitted pegs.
2) My car has additional rubber strips on the inside of the A pillars (picture below). I don't see replacements listed on the Metro or Steele sites - were these original equipment?

Thanks! Robert

Old October 6th, 2023, 09:55 AM

The seals pictured are original equipment (my car has them as well). However, I do not think anyone sells those new. The front and rear seals both use pins around the door jamb area.
Old October 6th, 2023, 11:53 AM

Thanks Tom! I was able to speak to Steele today and they confirmed that their front seals do actually come with pins (which can be seen on the site pics, but only if you zoom in.

The front pillar seals are just straight strips so I guess can be replicated easily by cutting new seals once I locate a compatible replacement strip. Still there are a lot of A Bodies out there so surprising someone hasn't plugged the gap! (So to speak)

Robert
Old October 6th, 2023, 01:19 PM

I have not seen those on anything other than my vista. They may not have been used on all A-bodies.
Old October 7th, 2023, 09:47 AM
4R5

I don't have those on my '71 VC. Robert or Tom, are they screwed in top & bottom, or tucked under the A pilar moulding?

Last edited by 4R5; October 7th, 2023 at 09:54 AM.
Old October 7th, 2023, 09:54 AM
4R5

I also searched the parts book to see if I could find it, but nothing turned up.
Old October 7th, 2023, 11:42 AM

They are not screwed in, they have a molded in C channel that slips over the edge of the A-pillar cover.

And a few others from across the internet:

Old October 7th, 2023, 01:52 PM
Past Administrator

Interesting that they were deemed necessary on Vista Cruisers but not used on Cutlasses. The door seals on my Vista are really old and messed up and the previous owner applied some generic black foam door seal on those areas, the wind noise is very loud and I figured new seals all around would fix the problem but I will not be aware to get those repalced as well.
Old October 7th, 2023, 02:02 PM
4R5

Thanks Tom for the info & pictures. Based on the door panel design in the pictures it looks like this was a '72 thing.
Old October 7th, 2023, 02:59 PM

Thanks all, very interesting and a bit of a mystery. My Assembly Manual doesn't have a section on interior trim (other than the dash), and reference pictures of pillared cars are relatively rare on Hemmings etc. I have seen pics for a few 2 door pillared coupes and they don't appear to have those strips. My strips are not screwed in - it looks as if they are retained by the A pillar trim. Close up below! Robert