1970 Toronado..need drum brake parts

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2010, 06:38 AM

1970 Toronado..need drum brake parts

hey there,

in the attechement u see the parts i need...any idea where i can get them?

i've checked rockauto already...but they dont have that stuff...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Scan1.JPG (71.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg
Scan2.JPG (60.8 KB, 14 views)
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:01 AM

http://www.kanter.com///home.aspx?Tg...t=0&MSb=0&Prc=

Try Kanter Auto Products. Not sure they have the individual parts but you may get them as a kit. Love the Toronado btw.
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:14 AM

In your second attachment, brake hose should be available at any auto parts store. They're pretty universal, and if there isn't one available in the size you need, you can probably get one made. As far as the little clips that hold the metal line to the axle, again, most anything would probably work for that. Heck, the metal clips you can find to hold coaxial cable TV cable in place would probably work.

Your first picture, though, is a different story. The things you circled are all the parts that are normally NOT included in a brake hardware rebuild kit, and I've never found them sold in the aftermarket. But they're also parts that don't generally wear out. Unless you have a car that has no brakes on it at all, why can't you re-use these parts from your current brakes?

If for whatever reason you don't have them, you'll have to find a junkyard car and take them off of it. I would think that Oldsmobile's rear drum brakes were pretty much the same across the board every year, so if you can't find a '70 Toronado to take the brake parts off of, maybe parts off of an 88 or a 98, assuming the brakes are the same diameter, will work.
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:35 AM

thx for ur answers...indeed, i have a car without brakes...i only have the front rotors and the rear drums... i found the front disc brake calipers on a junkyard and bought some new brake pads..so the front brakes are complete now..

damn rear brakes
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:22 AM

hey there, i found some of the parts at inlinetube...but mostly for the 9 1/2" brake drum..seems the toronado needs 11"

is there any difference in the size of the parts except the drum itself? (and the shoes)
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:20 PM

I had the same problem with my '70 Cutlass. When I got it one front wheel just had the backing plate and drum, but no hardware. Try posting in the parts wanted section to see if anyone has some left over parts from a disk conversion or a parts car. Some of those brackets aren't reproduced anywhere that I could find.
Old September 28th, 2010, 01:45 AM

is that 11" brake so damn rare??

i know that the caddillac eldorado had the 11" brake too...so do u guys know any other cars to interchange parts?