Brakes will put me through the window!

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2007, 06:31 PM

Brakes will put me through the window!

Not quite sure if this is even a "problem" but the brakes on my 63' dynamic 88 are very efficent......to say the least. I have to slowly and carefully ease into the pedal or it literally stops on a dime. I was going down the road a few weeks ago going maybe 15 mph and i went to stop at a stop sign and and i almost hit the windshield it stopped so hard. Are these brakes just built like that because this is a huge car or is there something more to the puzzle im not seeing? Im almost afraid to drive it too fast because i know if i hit the brakes even a tiny bit too hard i know itll lock em up and that would not be good Just curious if anyone had info on it id appreciate it.
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:43 PM

All 4 or have you tried adjusting the rear up?
Old November 1st, 2007, 03:57 AM

I havent done anything to them but im pretty sure its all four, but it feels like predominatly the front brakes are doing most of the stopping.
Old November 1st, 2007, 04:54 AM
Past Administrator

Front brakes DO do most of the stopping. But you might want to adjust them a little so they don't engage so quickly.
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:25 AM

Thanks oldsguy, ill do that. Its not really a problem but its kind of annoying when you hit them a tad to hard and you fly forward. Although if i ever want to brake check a friend in the passenger side itll be awesome
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM

my '63 98 has some damn powerful brakes also! That's with a dying booster, a starting to leak MC and all four wheels with way too much slack in the adjustment. Remember when these cars were new, power brakes and steering were still a relatively new thing. Customers wanted that "overpowered feel" so that they could prove to themselves that these options were worth the added expense. Take for example automatic transmissions. Engineers work for years to develop the smoothest shifting trans possible, or even a shiftless trans like Buick's Dyna flow.
You should try a Chrysler product from the late 50's to early 60's, they could put four flat spots on your tires real quick!
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM

I agree with the above consensus. My 64 98 has strong brakes with the power assist. However, you should definitely take the hubs off and do an inspection. You can adjust the shoes, spray the hardware with brake clean and make sure everything is working ok. Drum brakes are pretty simple and you should be able to identify anything that is obviously wrong with the setup.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 09:03 AM

Sounds like you might have some foreing material on the lining such as brake fluid or oil. The orginal brake linings had asbestos but that's been discontinued for some time. As a last resort I'd find out who the lining mfr. was and see if you could get some specs. as to the composition.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:28 AM

Brake fluid or oil, would have the opposite effect.

Norm
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:48 PM

If you find that your brake shoes are worn or the linings have foreign material in them then you can always have the shoes re-lined. There should be a shop in your local phone book that does this (as long as you don't live in the middle of nowhere). Don't forget to have your drums turned if you replace your brake shoes.
Old November 12th, 2007, 04:54 PM

you should be able to get shoes from NAPA real easy. I purchased a set for mine after I smacked the old one with a hammer while rebuilding the front end. Cracked that sucker good too! I called Booster Dewey and asked about my hissing non pedal returning booster, he said that the typical cause for that is a leaking master cylinder. Sure enough it leaked a good 4 to 6 Oz of fluid in the booster. Real nasty rusty goo! I sent it in and should have it back in a week.
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:33 PM

You know, I wonder if my master cylinder is leaking. When I got my car out of storage the master cylinder resivoir was empty and there wasn't any nastiness behind the slave cylinders. I refilled the resivoir and bled the brakes and it has been working fine since. Hmmm...
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
You know, I wonder if my master cylinder is leaking. When I got my car out of storage the master cylinder resivoir was empty and there wasn't any nastiness behind the slave cylinders. I refilled the resivoir and bled the brakes and it has been working fine since. Hmmm...

Yes, mine was doing the same thing, always loosing fluid but no leakage at the wheel cylinders. The seal between the master and booster is real tight, so it's unlikely you would see it leaking. Most everything on my car is original and after 45 years, they're starting to go bad. A modern car wouldn't last 45 years with the same parts on it.