Converting single to dual master cylinder (1966)

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM

Converting single to dual master cylinder (1966)

Was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on converting power single master cyl brakes to a double master cyl on my 66 f85 coupe. Want to do this just for safety reasons and was wondering what needs to be done to the dist block and or proportioning valve. Also does anyone have a part number for a good master cyl that will work with a 66 setup (booster) Thanks everyone.
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Ben

drum brakes?

Call Right stuff detailing. They sell a 67 style distribution block that will bolt right up to your existing rear, and front lower brake lines in the factory 66/67 location on the frame rail.

Then call your local parts store and order a MC for a 67 cutlass (or chevlle, or gto) it will be the dual pot style.

Right stuff also sells lines to go from the MC down to the distribution block. They will likely need minor tweaking, but much easier than making your own.

I'm sure right stuff also probably sells the MC's as well... make it one easy order.

only thing of note- i'm not sure the 66 booster will work with the 67 dual pot MC. maybe someone else can answer that one.
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:34 PM

RAMBOW. Thanks for the usefull info. I will def look into Right Stuff Detailing. My wife will occasionally take this car out and I want peace of mind. Us scruff and tough Olds Guys know how to downshift and play with the E-Brake, but the wives well, they know how to put it in drive and thats about it.
Old August 7th, 2011, 08:52 AM

I know you have power brakes, but I am adding this post for those who want manual brakes. No distribution block is needed for front/rear, as the rear line can be plumbed right into the master cylinder. You need a block for LF and RF from the line coming out of the master cylinder. You also need the cup type retainer for the back of the cylinder to retain the pushrod going to the pedal arm. That retainer isn't repoduced afaik; perhaps one from an S10 pickup would work. Any manual brake 67-72 A body uses the cup shaped retainer.
Old August 7th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

If you have power brakes, the dual circuit master cylinder will NOT work with the 1966 brake booster. The pushrod on the booster is too long. You either need to cut the pushrod or use a 1967-style booster.
Old August 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Do you guys feel this upgrade is worth the hassle. I dont want to worry about busting a line and having no brakes at 60 mph especially if my wife wants tot ake the cruiser out for a quick stroll.
Old August 7th, 2011, 05:15 PM

My car's sheet metal and my body parts are discontinued. To protect them, I always use a dual master cylinder.