looing for 1978 Olds 98 DIESEL

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM

looing for 1978 Olds 98 DIESEL

Looking for a 1978 oldsmobile 98 Regency (4-Door) DIESEL.
Hoping to find one that is White with red, blue, green interior. If you have a 1979 that would be good too. Hoping to find one with original engine (5.7L DIESEL).

Or if you have a 1978 Olds Delta 88 Royal DIESEL I would be interested in that as well.

Contact me.

Mark.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:30 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

There's one out west of here here for 600 bucks, but it's a 2 door diesel 78 delta and doesn't run.
It's in Sycamore IL.
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:16 AM

my dad has a couple but they are 83s i think. they have both hit a deer and have front end damage. if it is something you may want let me know. i think he would sell cheep but i will have to talk to him.
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:14 AM

Here is a later model diesel.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/1489074151.html
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
There's one out west of here here for 600 bucks, but it's a 2 door diesel 78 delta and doesn't run.
It's in Sycamore IL.
What color is it, and what kind of shape?? Why isn't it running? head? or?
I'm in Nashville, TN. I don't have anyway to get it from there if its not running. I'm hoping to find something running.
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I have no idea why it doesn't run, it's at a salvage yard, and it was black. I didn't bother checking it out because the guy told me 600. I was thinking more like 300.
They try selling the cars to the local dirt track/derby guys before sending them out back to be dismantled by yardgoers.
I like the concept, but wish the cars were cheaper. I can't bring myself to spend 600 bucks on a car that I'm going to gut and smash to bits especially when they got them for the price tow truck gas money and an hour's pay.
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Yea, I know what you mean. On a road trip from Tn to Teledo, OH My engine blew on me at night when it had just started snowing on I-75. The blasted Tow truck places up there are "Road-Scavengers". Thats how I lost my '78 Delta 88 back in 2001. That car had been with me for 16 years it was a good car. I had no way to tow it out of there back home.
I really need to keep looking for something driveable. I had always wanted a 98 olds 4dr. during that same year and make as my Delta 88.
I sorta know how those salvage people can be. They get something for practically free, and then want a few bills for it. Usually, they have taken advantage of someone else in order to have gotten it.
I've worked on these Diesels before. I've done 2 head jobs in the past on one, timming chain, fuel system, glow plugs, and all sorts of other misc. things on them.
I'm looking for the earlier ones with the Pencil injectors.
If you see anything else let me know..

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I have no idea why it doesn't run, it's at a salvage yard, and it was black. I didn't bother checking it out because the guy told me 600. I was thinking more like 300.
They try selling the cars to the local dirt track/derby guys before sending them out back to be dismantled by yardgoers.
I like the concept, but wish the cars were cheaper. I can't bring myself to spend 600 bucks on a car that I'm going to gut and smash to bits especially when they got them for the price tow truck gas money and an hour's pay.
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by microfish7
Yea, I know what you mean. On a road trip from Tn to Teledo, OH My engine blew on me at night when it had just started snowing on I-75. The blasted Tow truck places up there are "Road-Scavengers". Thats how I lost my '78 Delta 88 back in 2001. That car had been with me for 16 years it was a good car. I had no way to tow it out of there back home.
You rent a U-Haul truck and tow dolly and drag it home. I did that with my Crew Cab Chevy when the engine blew 1200 miles from home. Total cost of the rental, and initial tow/3 days storage was $700.

A lot cheaper than losing the vehicle.
Old July 19th, 2012, 01:07 AM

too expensive at the time.

Originally Posted by turbobill
You rent a U-Haul truck and tow dolly and drag it home. I did that with my Crew Cab Chevy when the engine blew 1200 miles from home. Total cost of the rental, and initial tow/3 days storage was $700.

A lot cheaper than losing the vehicle.
I checked at that time.... I called all over Teledo checking U-Haul for the pricing on that very suggestion. I called on the truck with the tow attachment you are referring to etc. and they priced it all to me at 1,200.00 ! from OH, back to Tennessee. Which just happened to be the price almost exactly of what the garage was pricing me to put in a used motor back into the car that had blown. which he was pricing at 1450.00 to install an engine with only a 30 day garanntee..
The whole town was a racket. I called an attorney 5 weeks later in that area of telodo, and even the attorney told me that it was a racket up there what they had going on!! Its like the mafia what happens in that town when someone breaks down or gets stranded. All the garages and tow places are in cahots with everyone on the "Scam"...
the best thing I could have done in hind sight was to have had them throw me the keys hand I coud have pushed the car out on the side of the street, got out of their clutches, whistled up some kids from the hood!! sold the car for a quick 250.00 bucks if possible, signed the title over to them, it would have made their day to had a boom wagon hoodmobile to put on chrome wheels to work on,,, and I would have had the satifaction to have known that I bet the SCAM machine in Teledo, OH...
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Here's an 82:
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/3102918712.html