? on new body mounts for 68 442

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2023, 01:14 PM

? on new body mounts for 68 442

Started to remove the passenger side body bushings/mounts yesterday. I got them all out except one directly back of right rear tire. The bolt cracked despite best efforts to keep it intact. It is possible to lift the body now, cut/remove that specific bushing, PB blast it, get a vice grip or channel lock on the bolt to get it off once the body is lifted enough to get the bushings out?

Also are the radiator bushings suppose to be square? The bushings Fusick sent me were all round. The three center OEM bushing don't have any fasteners....while all the Fusick ones have holes and bolts. Not sure if some years Oldsmobile used more bolts to fasten the body down (under the doors and passenger compartment area specifically

?).

Any expertise is appreciated!

Thanks,
Chad
Old February 7th, 2023, 05:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yes, the core support bushings are square. Fusick incorrectly sells the cheaper Chevelle bushings. Inline has the correct ones, and probably a better body mount kit also. Your broken bolts are a bad sign. Expect the cage nuts in the floor pan to spin, which means you'll need to cut them out from the top and weld in new cage nuts. These are available repro.

Old February 7th, 2023, 07:41 AM

The PIM tells you exactly which mounts have bolts and which ones are just pucks

Old February 7th, 2023, 08:52 PM

Thanks Joe...Should have followed my instinct and purchased the the Inline tube ones. Their stuff seems to be better quality and historically correct...
Old February 11th, 2023, 11:49 PM

For those looking for accuracy, don' t buy Fusick Automotive for body mounts. They sent me 16 body mounts with hardware. (holes in every body mount). 1968 442s have three puck style mounts (no bolt hole) and three bolted body mounts. 1 at the front of the cabin, and two behind the rear wheel. https://www.thorntonmusclecars.com and https://www.supercarsunlimited.com seem to have the most accurate body mounts for 1968 442. Troy from Thornton Muscle Cars spoke with me for 10 minutes...and adjusted the body mounts for the 68 so they were accurate to include radiator mounts. Props to Thornton Muscle Cars for their expertise and making sure their stuff is correct! Their stuff is alway correct and proper. Their shorty headers are meticulous!

Last edited by rippinbyu; February 11th, 2023 at 11:55 PM.