Rear hood molding attachment to fiberglass hood

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:06 PM
72 Olds CS

Rear hood molding attachment to fiberglass hood

Ive read on others threads that the rear hood molding wont fit on the aftermarket w-25 fiberglass hoods.

I can see the original steel hood has a ~1/8" (3mm) spot where the molding was and the fiber hood is more like 3/8" in the same location

What modifications have you done to fit the trim on your fiber hood ? I dont think you can just open up the gap because the bend in the molding wont allow it

So far I think my best bet is to relieve the back of the molding at the curve so i can open it up to fit...im not sure that will work tho so Im hoping to see what others have done

Ill post some pics later showing what Im talking about
Old March 15th, 2012, 03:50 PM
72 Olds CS

heres a couple pictures showing the rear of the hood where the molding mounts and the molding

the other pics show the width of the molding channel and the width of the rear of the hood where the molding goes

Im looking for ideas and what others have done to mount this piece
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hood rear molding sm.jpg (33.0 KB, 66 views)
hood rear molding width.jpg (46.9 KB, 61 views)
Old March 15th, 2012, 04:35 PM

i have wondered the same thing. several years ago i had a W car missing that molding and found a NOS one in the trunk. i couldn't figure out how to get it on either. i thought i could spread one side out enough to get it on and then work across to the other side but give up on it. i just took one from another OAI hood i had at the time and used it. i will like to know also.
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:18 AM
72 Olds CS

I PMd a couple folks who have gone thru this

one reply stated "it takes trimming the hood and all. You can spread the trim a little, but really only enough to make it a tight fit. Most of the work is trimming and sanding the hood rear lip where it mounts"

so maybe Im looking at the wrong end of the problem its the hood I have to change to work not the trim
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:44 AM

i was able to attach the chrome piece to the back of the hood by opening it up just a little enough to fit and just kind of push it down.Its been on for over 1 year. it sits a little higher on the fiber glass hood than on the stock one. The fiberglass hood back piece is a little longer than the stock one
Old March 16th, 2012, 08:29 PM

Hey retro i just trimmed the rear of the hood down and tapped or pounded with the palm of my hand and it slid right into place? It is a very tight fit though? hope this helps.
Old March 17th, 2012, 11:19 AM

I got here as fast as I could! Do not trim the hood! Even the factory W-25 hoods were thicker than the steel counterparts. You have to open the trim up a little and then use a rubber mallet or a dead blow (I used dead blow) to gently seat the trim onto the back of the hood.

Open the trim up by using a small piece of wood 1"X1/4", and angle cut the end of it. With a helper, place the trim on a flat surface (workbench) and then starting at one end tap the tapered piece of wood into it and work your way to the other end. All you want to do is open the trim up enough to get it started on the edge of the hood...no more. If you open it up too much it will be loose on the hood.

This is the same method the factory used to get the trim piece on the hood...again, DO NOT TRIM THE HOOD! You will make the edge flimsy and have trouble keeping the trim on straight...

Steve
Old September 21st, 2012, 06:53 PM

Hey just puttin in my two cent lol i just purchased a ramair hood from the partplace and the molding was a big issue with alot of people cause the new molds they make are much more molding friendly mines sliped right on as if it was made for that hood there are so many companies making these repro hoods there are some crappy ones out there i heared horror stories luckly i found a nice one fits perfect.
Attached Images
cuttyhodd2.jpg (29.2 KB, 41 views)
cuttyhood.jpg (28.5 KB, 40 views)
cuttyhood3.jpg (31.0 KB, 38 views)
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:59 PM

Did you know that periods, commas, and capitalization all help people to understand the written word? Without those things, sentences can mean many different things.

"and the molding was a big issue with alot of people cause the new molds they make are much more molding friendly mines sliped right on as if it was made for that hood" - WTF?
Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:08 AM

Come on now...he has all the spaces in the right place!!!
Old September 22nd, 2012, 05:32 PM
72 Olds CS

hmmm thats interesting mines a parts place hood too ! I still havent put that rear molding on yet. my axle needed my immediate attention the hood works fine without the molding (so far )
Old September 22nd, 2012, 06:12 PM

When you do put the molding on follow my advice above and you will have no problem...it goes on like a glove