What windshield should choose?

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2024, 01:02 PM

What windshield should choose?

Hi guys.

I have to change the front windshield on my '71 olds 442.
I'm going to start the process with the insurance, but I would like to know which of the ones you indicate the car came from the factory with, since they give me 3 options, green, somewhat darkened with the gray bezel, and clear.
I'll tell you where I've seen them: https://www.opgi.com/window/glass/wi...t-ch27021.html
These would be to send to Miami and from there to Spain.
If you know of any other website where the price and quality improves, tell me, since I don't know many websites of this type.
I was reading, and for the trim to fit correctly it would be important to buy a glass with the thickness as close as possible to the original so that the trims fit perfectly.
Thanks.

Regards
Old March 26th, 2024, 06:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

None of the repro glass is the same thickness as OEM. If you install it with urethane as per the OEM process (as opposed to butyl tape) then you can vary the height of the glass in the pinchweld using glass setting blocks to ensure the trim fits correctly. Also, I would suggest getting glass from Auto City Classic.
Old March 26th, 2024, 07:59 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

https://www.pilkington.com/en/us/aut...automotive-agr

Color is your choice.
If its a factory A/C car the green with blue shade was mandatory, part of the A02 glass package
Otherwise a tinted windshield by its self would be an option (A01).
Base equipment was clear. Dont think smoke was a 71 option.
What color is the windshield now?

As Joe mentioned make sure which ever installation method is used the overall height stacks up correctly so the trim installs at the correct height.
Measure the height now before you remove the windshield.

Once the windshield is removed carefully inspect the the windshield channel and cowl under the wiper arm stainless trim.
Fix any rust before re-installation of the new windshield.If not it will leak.Do not rely on the glass shop to fix rust holes.They will just fill it with calk....not correct.

Purchase a trim clip kit. Nice to have on hand as some will be broken or already missing.
https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts...?number=WMC682
Old March 29th, 2024, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
None of the repro glass is the same thickness as OEM. If you install it with urethane as per the OEM process (as opposed to butyl tape) then you can vary the height of the glass in the pinchweld using glass setting blocks to ensure the trim fits correctly. Also, I would suggest getting glass from Auto City Classic.
Hello.

Thanks for your comment Joe. I'm looking at the website you recommend, it seems that the windshield comes with the integrated antenna, which is what I'm looking for.
Do you think that the windshields that this page has are better than the one I have checked on opgi?
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Old March 29th, 2024, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
https://www.pilkington.com/en/us/aut...automotive-agr

Color is your choice.
If its a factory A/C car the green with blue shade was mandatory, part of the A02 glass package
Otherwise a tinted windshield by its self would be an option (A01).
Base equipment was clear. Dont think smoke was a 71 option.
What color is the windshield now?

As Joe mentioned make sure which ever installation method is used the overall height stacks up correctly so the trim installs at the correct height.
Measure the height now before you remove the windshield.

Once the windshield is removed carefully inspect the the windshield channel and cowl under the wiper arm stainless trim.
Fix any rust before re-installation of the new windshield.If not it will leak.Do not rely on the glass shop to fix rust holes.They will just fill it with calk....not correct.

Purchase a trim clip kit. Nice to have on hand as some will be broken or already missing.
https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts...?number=WMC682
Thank you for your advice, I will take it into account when I remove the windshield, it gives me the feeling that it is the original factory of the car, although it is glued with polyurethane so at some point the car had to be removed.
I couldn't tell you what color it is, the top bezel seems brown but it may have lost color over the years, I'll leave you some photos to see what you think.

Regards

Old March 30th, 2024, 09:26 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Why are you replacing it? I dont see cracks. I do see wiper scratches. A good glass shop can buff those out if not too deep.
Eastwood makes a glass polish kit.
The browning is normal aging. It was once a shade of blue. Likely the OEM windshield. Can you see the DOT date code?
Old March 30th, 2024, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by keyboard
Hello.

Thanks for your comment Joe. I'm looking at the website you recommend, it seems that the windshield comes with the integrated antenna, which is what I'm looking for.
Do you think that the windshields that this page has are better than the one I have checked on opgi?
Thanks in advance.

Regards
You'll be waiting for months and months for one from OPGI they just drop ship from the manufacturer and don't stock much of anything.. shipping is also VERY expensive ... despite cheap price in their catalogue...
Old March 31st, 2024, 05:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

All of the repro parts vendors like OPGI or Year One or even Fusick are simply resellers. This is why I get weatherstripping from Steele and glass from Auto City Classic.
Old March 31st, 2024, 09:17 AM
Rodney

After a foolish attempt to buff out scratches in my door glass (which resulted in damage far worse than the original scratches) I bought new door and quarter glass from Auto City Classic. I was very satisfied with the quality of the glass and everything seems to fit well. For my windshield I decided to let my local glass installer source the glass and install it. I too have the tinted band with in-glass antenna; the part number for the windshield they provided is DW00752GBNNCOM, i'm not sure of the manufacturer name.

Rodney
Old April 2nd, 2024, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Why are you replacing it? I dont see cracks. I do see wiper scratches. A good glass shop can buff those out if not too deep.
Eastwood makes a glass polish kit.
The browning is normal aging. It was once a shade of blue. Likely the OEM windshield. Can you see the DOT date code?
Hello.

I tell you.
I was going to clean up some areas under the windshield, and I also wanted to polish it because it has a lot of pits. When I took it to a workshop specialized in glass, they told me that those pits are very deep and could not be removed with polishing, so they recommended replacing it.
Honestly, when I have the sun in front of me it is difficult for me to see correctly because of those peaks.
I'll add a photo of the only silkscreen I've seen. What you see in the image is not dust, it is the pitting that I have mentioned, the entire windshield is practically the same.

Regards

Old April 2nd, 2024, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by FStanley
You'll be waiting for months and months for one from OPGI they just drop ship from the manufacturer and don't stock much of anything.. shipping is also VERY expensive ... despite cheap price in their catalogue...
I just checked it, I had not seen the shipping price, just as you say, shipping is more expensive than the windshiel itself, incredible!!
Old April 2nd, 2024, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
All of the repro parts vendors like OPGI or Year One or even Fusick are simply resellers. This is why I get weatherstripping from Steele and glass from Auto City Classic.
Thanks for your clarification Joe, I may ask for it from there.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by cdrod
Después de un tonto intento de pulir los rayones en el vidrio de mi puerta (lo que resultó en daños mucho peores que los rayones originales), compré puertas y cuartos de vidrio nuevos en Auto City Classic. Quedé muy satisfecho con la calidad del vidrio y todo parece encajar bien. Para mi parabrisas, decidí dejar que mi instalador de vidrio local obtuviera el vidrio y lo instalara. Yo también tengo la banda teñida con antena de cristal; El número de pieza del parabrisas que proporcionaron es DW00752GBNNCOM, no estoy seguro del nombre del fabricante.

Rodney
hahaha, I see how stupid there are everywhere then.
As I mentioned, I may have bought it at Auto City Classic, if it has worked well for you it should work well for me.
I will tell you as soon as I place the order and receive the windshield, I hope there are no problems on the way
Thanks
Old April 3rd, 2024, 09:48 AM

Auto City can also provide glass with original style "LOF" etched markings if you're interested in preserving that detail.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 03:23 PM

That windshield is SHOT. Does the car warrant a “authentic” repo printed windshield? More importantly, does it matter to you? Unless I had a car that was “show quality,” nut & bolt resto, I would just have a glass guy come & remove the windshield & inspect the channels. If they’re good, have him install the new glass, if channels need work, leave it at calling him back when you’re ready for install.

I have seen so many broken windshields when boxes get opened it’s sickening. Glass guy simply goes to local warehouse, opens the box before he loads it in his van & neither of you have to deal with “SUPPLIZE(!)” when the box is opened. No damage claims, no returns, no repeats in the second round of the process.

Just my $.02.

​​​​​​….
Old April 3rd, 2024, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by bccan
That windshield is SHOT. Does the car warrant a “authentic” repo printed windshield? More importantly, does it matter to you? Unless I had a car that was “show quality,” nut & bolt resto, I would just have a glass guy come & remove the windshield & inspect the channels. If they’re good, have him install the new glass, if channels need work, leave it at calling him back when you’re ready for install.

I have seen so many broken windshields when boxes get opened it’s sickening. Glass guy simply goes to local warehouse, opens the box before he loads it in his van & neither of you have to deal with “SUPPLIZE(!)” when the box is opened. No damage claims, no returns, no repeats in the second round of the process.

Just my $.02.

​​​​​​….
Auto City Classic has EXCELLENT customer service in this regard. I bought a windshield from them 2 months ago. The windshield was $199 and shipping was $99 so $298 total. The windsheild was delivered when I was not home, so I did not sign for it. When I opened the box, it was shattered. I called them. They had me email some pics, and I had a new one at my door a few days later. Absolutely no trouble from them. If you can find a local supplier to instal a windshield for for a reasonable price that is great, but you will likely pay more than $350 just for the glass from a local installer before removal or installation.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 05:57 PM

Y’all keep in mind the OP is in Europe and any glass will likely need to be shipped there.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Y’all keep in mind the OP is in Europe and any glass will likely need to be shipped there.
Ooops, I missed that. Not sure what availability is like there for international shipping or from local installers.
Old April 5th, 2024, 10:57 AM

Normally, companies that supply windshield do so only to the US, maybe Canada too, to send it to Europe I have spoken with a company to have it mounted in a maritime container, it is more tedious and there is a greater chance of having some mishap, but it is the only thing I can do.
Under the windshield I have to clean up the sheet metal, so I will surely have to remove it to get to the affected area. At the same time, since the windshield is uninstalled, we will clean up the dashboard so that it is in good shape for another 50 years.
Old April 6th, 2024, 11:02 AM

Hi guys.

I have been looking and it is possible that I will also add the rear windshield, I am not sure if I will need it or not, but since I am going to check the condition of the sheet metal under the front one I am also going to do it on the rear one.
I'm going to show you the two links for both products, let's see if you give me the ok, since I'm not sure if the rear is correct, the photo looks like the hardtop and not the windshield of the coupe, my 442 is a holiday coupe 1971.
Forward: https://www.autocityclassic.com/1968...tiac-2-door-ha
Rear: https://www.autocityclassic.com/1970...k-glass-b3998/
Thanks.

Regards
Old April 18th, 2024, 02:22 PM

Hi guys.

I have just placed the order for the front and rear windshield, I will receive them in approximately a couple of months in Spain since the rear windshield is not in stock for another month, so I will have to mount it in the container in a month and approximately half.
I'll let you know when I receive it.

Regards