The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Getting rid of cable and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2024, 11:41 AM

Getting rid of cable and have a few questions

We're in the process of getting rid of Spectrum cable! There are a bazillion shows and most of them we don't watch. It's very expensive. First thing we got a ROKU and hooked it up and found quite a few of the shows we do watch there so we're happy with the ROKU. Next, I hooked my TV up to the digital antennae that is up near the roof. I did an OTA TV channel scan and came up with 55 channels. Quite a few dupes but it gives us local stations and show we like to see. We will drop the cable later this week. There are a few shows that we watch that we can't get for free but none of them will be missed so no apps or pay channels that I see we need. We'll save quite a bit of cash and only be paying for the internet and Wi-Fi!

One thing I used to have when we were only OTA TV before we thought we needed cable was an over-the-air DVR! Back then I had a Channel Master OTA DVR and it worked great and in conjunction with the internet it even had a menu for all the channels and we could record things and watch them later. I save the old Channel Master but can't seem to find it. Well, in searching the internet for information that Channel Master no longer supports it anyway! So, I'll have to but a new unit for that!

The new ones run between $100.00 and $500.00! My question is, does anyone here have one or know information about the best one to buy? I'd really like to buy one, hook one up and be happy with it. I don't like to eff up and need to buy another one!

Any info appreciated.

OLE442

Last edited by OLE442; April 2nd, 2024 at 07:45 AM.
Old April 1st, 2024, 02:00 PM
Administrator

We cut the cable 5 years ago and never looked back. We use free/cheap streaming services and save a considerable amount of money. The only problem we run into is the internet isn't the most reliable here in the boonies like it would be in a major city. We are too far out for over the air tv.
Old April 1st, 2024, 02:14 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

To clarify, are you getting rid of the cable boxes, but retaining Internet access with Spectrum? If so, be aware that Spectrum will soak it to you on your Internet access now that you have cut the fat from their bill. Our Internet access went from $59/month to $109.99/month, an 86% increase, after we returned the boxes, still cheaper to stream though.
Old April 1st, 2024, 03:22 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
We cut the cable 5 years ago and never looked back.
^^x2^^ I have a perfect picture 40" diagonal CRT TV, one WiFi Roku box & one subscription to Netflix via Spectrum ISP. I own my own Motorola Cable/WiFi modem & configure my own firewall UDP/IP port traffic.
Old April 1st, 2024, 07:11 PM
Past Administrator

We recently cut the cable and instead pay for YouTube TV because my wife did not want to give up the menu features and recording capabilities that come with cable services. We pay $78.00 a month, the DVR is in the cloud with unlimited storage and they have a pretty good UI. MIght work for you as well.
Old April 1st, 2024, 08:02 PM

Just give it all up. Haven’t watched TV since George Bush took our rabbit ears away. For awhile would watch it while staying at a hotel but last few times rather keep it off. Would probably shoot the TV if I had to watch what’s on now days.
Dustin
Old April 1st, 2024, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Post70
Would probably shoot the TV if I had to watch what’s on now days.
Oh yeah, the thought has crossed my mind more than once.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 06:19 AM
Gary

Just give it all up. Haven’t watched TV since George Bush took our rabbit ears away.
Ditto.

It's interesting to look back to see what themes were promoted by movies and media in different time-frames. They seem to foretell the future.

Without media in your life, it's easier to read, think, and form your own opinions rather than receiving programming in both senses of the word.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 06:50 AM

Seriously looked into cutting the cord a few years ago, but I wouldn't have really saved any money if I did.

Where I'm living at an HD-Antenna only gives us 1 steady network channel and the other 3 are really glitchy. I really don't care about the other 40 channels that I'm getting OTA. Game show channel...kinda fun to watch someone win a '73 Pinto from Monte Hall and actually be excited about it, but everything else is pretty blah. Who needs 4 PBS channels!

We're spending $200 a month for cable. If I cut the cord, I still have to spend $100 a month for internet and find an OTA DVR somewhere. The streaming packages are all raising their rates. U-Tube TV and a few of the other streamers that promise live network programming are $80+. Netflix, Paramount +, Disney +, etc... who cares. For me it's minimally more expensive and less of a hassle to keep the cord in place for now.

Plus, I don't have any small children to adjust the foil covered rabbit ears like we used to have to do.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 08:14 AM

There’s other benefits of giving up television other than monetary. Your furniture last longer. You are more productive and can spend more time on your vehicles or house projects. You spend more quality time with others. You feel better not sitting around, hips, knees and other joints limber up when moving around. It’s like eating, what you eat has a huge part in your health. There’s probably some shows that are healthy for your mind but most don’t help increase IQ numbers.
Dustin
Old April 3rd, 2024, 03:12 PM

There’s probably some shows that are healthy for your mind but most don’t help increase IQ numbers.
Ain’t that the truth. I can’t count the number of times my wife was watching a show that was so dumb that I went and did ANYTHING else.
Old April 4th, 2024, 06:15 AM
Past Administrator

^^^X2^^^
I hate "The masked singer" such a ridiculous show.
Old April 4th, 2024, 06:29 AM

We still have Amazon and Netflix and our daughters love YouTube. We have so many DVDs though, I hate seeing ads.
Old April 4th, 2024, 09:32 AM
Administrator

We have Prime, and Netflix, Hulu, and apple tv are provided through Tmobile. We currently use Tmobile's wireless internet for $50mo, it's not 100% reliable yet around here but better than the alternatives.
Old April 4th, 2024, 03:37 PM

When we got rid of cable, we installed this and now we have more channels than we know what to do with. It's been 10 years now and absolutely no regrets. I will let you figure out the savings.
Old April 4th, 2024, 04:04 PM

That antenna is very similar to the one on my home. Pulls in OTA stations real well!
Old April 4th, 2024, 05:01 PM
72Cutlass S

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
^^^X2^^^
I hate "The masked singer" such a ridiculous show.
what is the masked singer?
Old April 4th, 2024, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I hate seeing ads.
I do as well. Our cable (have it only because the wife’s business needed fast uploads of large video files, so it’s a writeoff) allows pausing and rewinding, so I take advantage of commercial breaks to lot the dogs out. Pause the show, go out with the dogs, hit the head myself, then sit down and fast forward to the show. I very rarely ever actually see commercials.
Old April 16th, 2024, 04:50 PM

I cut the cord a few years ago. Still have ATT for Internet but I own the modem. I shut off the ATT Wi-Fi and bought a better TP-Link router and some extenders for faster/better coverage.

I have a Fire TV Stick and pay for Paramount+ and Disney+ for about $20 per month for both.

There are tons of free apps to watch shows, most also have commercials, but it usually isn't as bad as cable or OTA is for commercials.

I don't have a DVR, but I know people that have built their own DVR from an old PC and a honkin large hard drive. So low/no cost DVR. If I recall correctly you can get "channel" guides off the Internet.
Old April 17th, 2024, 07:52 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by gs72
what is the masked singer?
Be glad that you don't know of it. Every time my wife is watching it and I walk through the living room I can't get out of there fast enough, Hate it!
Old April 20th, 2024, 03:22 AM

So far, we have installed a ROKU and it has some great content. I also bought a TABLO over-the-air DVR to record local channel content for later viewing (wife likes local national news, I like some PBS content like Finding Your Roots and some of the science shows). We had the TABLO working and recording but a lot of it was pixilated and freezing! The outdoor antennae works fine when direct connected to the TV but when used through the TABLO it wasn't very good. I'm working on a solution with their tech support. We shall see. Yesterday, we took the cable box back to Spectrum and dropped all but the wi-fi internet. Just doing that felt great. Most programs we liked on cable have other options for viewing the programs. We are still looking at other options for the internet wi-fi at this time. We are saving $140.00 per month so far and are not paying any monthly fees for other content so far.