The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

You bet it's cold

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2024, 11:24 PM

When I first started working in the Monkey Wards auto center we used to re-stud snow tires the tool looked much like a rivet gun , ahh the good ol days !!!!
Old January 22nd, 2024, 07:31 AM
Oldsdruid

If the weather prophets are right we in southern Vajenya will be out of subfreezing temps today and near 70° by end of the week.

Nearly 40 years of trying to keep a powerplant running in cold weather really soured me on winter. Older I get the more I hate it. Just glad we don't get it like some of you do.
Old January 23rd, 2024, 09:58 AM

It is moved from Cold to Wet here in the Evil.
Old January 23rd, 2024, 10:26 AM

Does anyone use tire chains on their daily driver?

2 or 3 times every year here in OK it ices enough to make roads treacherous. The white knuckle driving I did yesterday made me think I should get a set of chains for my truck. Then again, I bet there are laws restricting their use.
Old January 23rd, 2024, 05:48 PM

I have on a few occasions had a 4x4 with all fours chained when we received a load of snow(4 feet or more), believe me your tires never see the pavement, and you are lucky to get to the plowed road 100 yards away. I had two other 4x4s stuck in my yard for over a week...Tedd

Just the beginning, it snowed another three feet that night.
Old January 23rd, 2024, 06:21 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Olds64
2 or 3 times every year here in OK it ices enough to make roads treacherous. The white knuckle driving I did yesterday made me think I should get a set of chains for my truck. Then again, I bet there are laws restricting their use.
When I was Norman from Norman residing in Norman, OK (1984-1988) I could get onto the I-35 Northbound On ramp hit the brakes & slide the 20 miles into downtown OKC on ice.
Old January 23rd, 2024, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I have on a few occasions had a 4x4 with all fours chained when we received a load of snow(4 feet or more), believe me your tires never see the pavement, and you are lucky to get to the plowed road 100 yards away. I had two other 4x4s stuck in my yard for over a week...Tedd

Just the beginning, it snowed another three feet that night.
Absolutely one of THE best vehicles Ever made. Anyone that talks smack any early Landcruiser has no clue. I love them. Ask Jack Hanna...
Old January 24th, 2024, 12:53 AM
GCH

Last weekend we had -13 F here and -45 F in north of the the country , now we have melting snow and 38 F
Glad we have tractors for snow moving , one of the piles :

Old January 24th, 2024, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I have on a few occasions had a 4x4 with all fours chained when we received a load of snow(4 feet or more), believe me your tires never see the pavement, and you are lucky to get to the plowed road 100 yards away.
4' of snow ain't no joke!

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I could get onto the I-35 Northbound On ramp hit the brakes & slide the 20 miles into downtown OKC on ice.
Yeah, the 2 30 year old ice trucks OK has have trouble keeping up.
Old January 24th, 2024, 07:28 AM
Oldsdruid

Reminds me of the time some years ago when Eastern Virginia (which hardly ever sees a snowflake) got socked with a winter storm while the rest of Virginia didn't get anything. VDOT was sending snowplows and drivers from all over the Commonwealth because not only were there no snowplows in Tidewater, there wasn't anybody who knew how to plow snow.

An inch of snow would paralyze that area. They never saw snow, didn't know how to drive in it, and had no snow removal equipment to speak of.

Then there was the year the local Sears got in a snowblower, think 1995 since it was around same time I had bought a lawnmower. Someone finally bought it on clearance. There was a snowblower advertised in the local shopper paper last year. I wondered if it was the same one.

Them that love winter and snow can have my share of it. I understand completely why people move South to get away from it. Several years ago a family from upstate Pennsylvania moved here in part to get away from northern winters. The second year they were here we had a 14" snowstorm. The lady told me "we didn't move far enough South!"
Old January 24th, 2024, 10:13 AM

My sister got bombed last week on her first day of her new job in Nashville. I was there for the last big snow, which was 20+ years ago. An inch of snow murders that town, and they had a lot more, both times.

Here in the Evil, we seem to get 1 Big Snow Event about now or in the next few weeks, along with a 1/4 inch of ice. I go home, and stay home. My driveway is a hill, and I already have to get the truck rolling to get it in gear with the engine on (clutch hydraulics are dying; ) I don't want to add tobogganing to the mix.
Old January 24th, 2024, 02:51 PM

About 20 years ago I worked with a guy that was getting ready to retire. Someone asked him what he planned to do with his retirement years. He said he planned to get a snow shovel and start walking south. He said when people started to ask what he was carrying, he figured he had gone far enough.

I don’t mind the snow, back when I had disposable income I use to go on big weeklong snowmobile trips. I figured I could be like many other people and hate the snow and be miserable all winter, or I could find something about it to enjoy.

What I don’t like is bitter cold!
Old January 24th, 2024, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
About 20 years ago I worked with a guy that was getting ready to retire. Someone asked him what he planned to do with his retirement years. He said he planned to get a snow shovel and start walking south. He said when people started to ask what he was carrying, he figured he had gone far enough.

I don’t mind the snow, back when I had disposable income I use to go on big weeklong snowmobile trips. I figured I could be like many other people and hate the snow and be miserable all winter, or I could find something about it to enjoy.

What I don’t like is bitter cold!
He was an educated man.
Old January 24th, 2024, 04:13 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by matt69olds
...a guy...planned to get a snow shovel and start walking south. He said when people started to ask what he was carrying, he figured he had gone far enough.
My lab partner at the University of Minnesota said something similar 60 years ago. He was from northern Minnesota and had, like most of us, a block heater in his car--the cord hanging out the grille for easy hookup. He said that, after graduation, he would drive south until someone asked what the cord was for.

He stopped in Brownwood Texas (central Texas, but it still gets snow and 10° weather) and now lives in Victoria Texas (south Texas near the Gulf--much warmer than Brownwood).

My first job after graduation put me in Kenedy Texas in the first year; the company I worked for transferred me there from Minnesota. Kenedy is in the Coastal Plain, and it didn't get below freezing for the years I lived there. Although, a 33° day with torrential rain got me colder than I had been in my life. The heat not working in my rent house may have had something to do with that.
Old January 25th, 2024, 06:31 AM

Winter can get cold. Dressing in layers does make a difference, although you aren't as flexible. I recall a couple places I worked outside in the winter. One job, they cancelled work for the day if it was going to get -10 or below.
That job was installing a steel billet casting line in a new 200 foot wide addition on the north end of the plant and the whole north wall was wide open. That wind would blow through pretty good. It wasn't near as bad if you could work with your back to the wind.

Another job I worked in the winter was working on cooling towers at power plants. We were 40 feet up (stairs with 56 steps to the top). Changing electric motors and drive shafts was cold if you were on the north side of the shroud that housed the gearbox and 18 foot diameter fan. The worst part was if there was a layer of ice on the deck and there always was.

The snow and cold can get to you after a while. But labor saving devices like an ATV with a snow blade can minimize the amount of time outside. I guess I never gave a thought to "escaping winter". Its just another season.
Old January 25th, 2024, 07:30 AM

Moved to Dallas in the early 70's from Milwaukee and never looked back. I only go up North to visit family in the summer.
Old January 25th, 2024, 08:30 AM
Oldsdruid

It is raining and a balmy 65 degrees here in Southside Vajenya today.🙂😎
Old January 25th, 2024, 08:49 AM

It was -39 at my house on the 13th. My gas meter on the outside of my house froze so no boiler and no heat. Poor energy guy took 2 hours to repair because he had to keep going back to his truck to warm up. Last weekend it was 40 above. So in less then a week we had a 80 degree swing.
Old January 25th, 2024, 12:36 PM

The 4" of snow we got 3 weeks ago in central Mn is on its way out.
50's by next week.
Weird winter.
Maybe it will happen in June this year.
Old January 26th, 2024, 09:57 AM

Couple days ago it was 4, yesterday 60.

Just another day in Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia.

Mader

Old January 26th, 2024, 09:59 AM

The problem with winter weather in WV is that state is 90% hills. The one winter I was there, I got lucky, and only had two problem commutes.