Advice on 4spd Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:40 PM

Advice on 4spd Transmissions

Hey guys, sorry for bringing such a small detail up, I dont know where to look for this information so i was hoping one of you would know. Im going to convert my 69 cutlass 4-door over to a 4spd. I highly douby i will have the money to buy an actual 4spd from a 69 cutlass, so i was wondering what transmissions would cross over ? i was thinking about just swapping out the rear end with just a GM 12 bolt or something to make up for the rear gears, and if i have to make an adapter plate to bolt the transmission up. I dont think it would hurt anything, because i need to get the special pilot bearing in order to get the 4spd to bolt up. So what transmissions could i use ? and if you have any leads on ones in good condition that would be great. thanks again

Ok looking back on that it didnt really make sense, let me rephrase, i want to use an M20 in my 4sp swap, almost all the muscle cars came with M20's lol. So what splines do i need on the input shaft and the output shaft ? And if i cant find an oldsmobile bellhousing to put on it, what would work with mild modification ? thanks

Last edited by The_Jeremiah; January 23rd, 2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Poor Explanation LOL
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah

Ok looking back on that it didnt really make sense, let me rephrase, i want to use an M20 in my 4sp swap, almost all the muscle cars came with M20's lol. So what splines do i need on the input shaft and the output shaft ? And if i cant find an oldsmobile bellhousing to put on it, what would work with mild modification ? thanks
Buick/Olds/Pontiac bellhousings are all pretty much the same. So long as it has the right trans bolt pattern, it should work. BOP bellhousings sell for $25 and up on ebay.

There are three different Muncie transmissions - M20, M21, and M22. Prices on all have been driven through the roof by restorers. An option is a Borg Warner T10.
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM

I would probably go with a borg warner T10 then. Are they all the same ? if not what splines do i need on each end ? thanks again
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:18 AM

hmm

Ok i think the borg warner T10 is a good candidate to go with, but i was wondering if i could shove a saginaw under there ? they look almost identical. What do you guys think ? also i cant find anywhere the splines i need on each end. what do you guys think ? thanks again