Rear diff control arm bushing remover tool

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2009, 08:38 AM

Rear diff control arm bushing remover tool

Does anybody know where I could buy a tool that would be able to remove then rep[lace this contorl arm bushing? There is a nice tool in my olds mechanical manual but I am sure it is not available anymore.

Thanks
Tim
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tim72
Does anybody know where I could buy a tool that would be able to remove then rep[lace this contorl arm bushing? There is a nice tool in my olds mechanical manual but I am sure it is not available anymore.

Thanks
Tim
I do my part to contribute to global warming by using the "burn 'em out" method. Burn the rubber out, collapse the remaining steel sleeve, and out they fall. A propane torch works; a cutting torch works faster. This is a smoky, smelly mess, so do it outside, preferably over a metal tray. While I have not tried it, others have apparently had success drilling the rubber out. Certainly less messy.

Installation uses an appropriately sized section of pipe or large diameter socket and a BFH. Use wheel bearing grease on the outside of the bushing shell. Be sure there are no burrs on the inside of the ears on the axle housing. Be sure the pipe bears only on the flange of the bushing shell and not on the rubber.
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:21 AM
car guy

I've done the burn method and the drill method. Drill is faster and much less mess. Drill 5-6 large holes around the bushing and then go back in and rock the drill back and forth to sort of mill it out between the holes with the side of the bit. Carefully air chisle the shell out.
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:18 PM

hole saw

I saw one member mention he used a hole saw! that was like a revelation LOL... makes perfect sence after somebody thought of it , certainly less messy then burning... I would think a rotozip could hog it out pretty quick too...

I was happy for the good suggestions i need to replace mine too...

Last edited by gearheads78; March 31st, 2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Call me a caveman, but I just collapsed the shell with a hammer and a cold chisel by hand. Just taco it in all around the shell on the back side, and push it out. It should look like a torx when you're ready to pound it out.
I reinstalled with my ball joint press.
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:55 PM
Registered

I use an upper control arm bushing service set, did them on the car.
If the bushing is too large for the receiver cup when removing I have a chain link fence post fitting and a piece of plate for the top, piece of pipe would work. I did my Vista Cruiser and have done other car's front and rear bushings and pressed ball joints with the tool, just need spacers to keep from collapsing the control arms when pressing the bushings in and out. I use sockets and washers, wood blocks, whatever works. That hole saw deal sounds cool, may be easier than pressing them out, I don't have a fire wrench.

Here's a place with one for reference, parts stores may loan or rent them, mine is old and different...like me.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/asthan14.html
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM

Thanks guys for all your help! I ended up drilling the rubber out. After that was removed with a socket and sledge I heated up the sleeve. I Then mushroomed the sleeve with a chisel and it popped right out. Well it was still warm I put a little grease on the mew bushing and found the correct size socket 2inch or so. I lushed it against the bushiung and pounded it in with the sledge against the end of the socket. It went way to easy for some reason. I am not going to complain though. lol!!!!

Thanks again

Tim
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:43 AM

It went way to easy for some reason. I am not going to complain though. lol!!!!
Thats funny, I always think I messed something up when a pain in the @zz job goes too smooth.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:40 PM

Anyways,
I got the rear end back in no sweat by myself with two jacks and a couple blocks of wood. Sure would have been nice to have had some help. If somebody could fined a way to strap the correct tool to our body's some where they would be a millionaire. I must have got up and down 50 times to get a different size socket or extension. Broke both my wooden creepers too. Well I guess sears is calling again and so is weight watchers!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:00 AM

Anyways,
If somebody could fined a way to strap the correct tool to our body's some where they would be a millionaire.
God has done that for us!! but he don't need the dough

oh you meant for working on the bushings Gotcha never mind LOL...

J/K glad it worked out, I pulled my 4 speed out to change the clutch once lying on my back , had the tranny sitting on my chest and was trying to figure out how to gently slide it to the side without dropping it LOL... man guys with car buddies and or lifts have it made....