brake lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2007, 06:11 PM

brake lights stay on

Help: I have a 1991 eighty-eight. when i turn off the ignition, the brake lights all stay on. Checked the light switch on the panel, and it working. any ideas?
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:45 PM

brake lights

Adjust the brake light switch ,Also make shure the Hazard button is off
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM

thank you

Thank you. I know this is a dumb question, but where is the brake light switch located and what does it look like?

Originally Posted by ozoneblue
Adjust the brake light switch ,Also make shure the Hazard button is off
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by allthumbs
Thank you. I know this is a dumb question, but where is the brake light switch located and what does it look like?
The brake light switch is at the brake peddle. I had the same problem. The button that the brake peddle puches on and releases maybe stuck or not moving smoothly. All I did was spray on some WD40 or a silcone on it, solved the problem or the switch maybe defective etc.
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM

exactly. the brake switch is basically the only thing that can cause that other than something somehow cutting through both wires to the switch and making them contact each other. the swith basically completes the circuit for the brake lites . when you push the pedal, the switch arm comes out, allowing the contacts inside to touch, thereby letting power pass through to the taillights. sometimes they can come loose. most just push into a bracket. try pushing the swith hard toward where it contacts the pedal.then pull the pedal back easily until it hits the switch. put just a little pressure on it to make sure the pedal is coming back all the way.no tools are required. also, this switch costs probably 2 bucks at any autoparts store. better of putting in a new one. often, the switch isnt bad, but the plastic case wears out from vibration over time and wont stay exactly in place. a new one will solve this. good luck
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM

oops, i forgot. crawl uner your steering wheel. look at yur brake pedal,.follow the mounting arm of your pedal up to where it mounts to the car.near the top, you will see the switch with 2 or 3 wires . it will be mounted up against the brake arm at the very top and is about 1 1/2 long and half nch around.