Where to find (buy) warning buzzer connector

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2011, 10:09 PM

Where to find (buy) warning buzzer connector

Hi Guys,

One of the chuckleheads who owned my 70W decided the warning buzzer that comes on when you insert the key into the steering column had to go. So he cut off the warning buzzer connector from the wiring harness under the hood. The connector is attached to a small pink wire with a black stripe and plugs into the horn relay on the driver's side fender. Luckily said chucklehead cut the connector off right at the connector, so he left enough wire for me to add a new connector and make the repair invisible.....if I had a connector.

So does anyone know where I can buy a new warning buzzer connector? Do the guys who make reproduction harnesses sell individual connectors....or will they tell me to take a hike if I call them?

thanks,
bob
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Far as I know, that's just a standard 1/4" Packard 56 connector.

If you REALLY want to hook that thing back up, you could use a normal 1/4" spade conector and nobody would ever know. On the other hand, that chucklehead did you a favor as far as I'm concerned - I've been pulling those plugs off the horn relay since I started driving in the '70's.

- Eric
Old July 10th, 2011, 06:04 AM

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can find a "Packard 56" connector on the web. No doubt the buzzer is a pain in the ****, but for originality purposes why didn't the guy just simply unplug the connector at the relay and leave the connector on the wire? He must have really hated that buzzer.

Eric...thanks again,
bob
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by bobb
... why didn't the guy just simply unplug the connector at the relay and leave the connector on the wire?
Yeah, Bob, I don't get that either.
Every older GM car I've ever owned, I've just opened the hood and pulled the plug first thing when I got it, but there's no reason to cut it.
Pain in the behind if you're doing a real restoration.

- Eric
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:15 AM

Bob, I'm pretty sure I have one of those connectors and wll look today. If I do, I'll ask you to PM me your address and I'll mail it to you. Mine will be used but I'll find you a nice one.
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:58 PM

Bob, I have a nice used one that I removed from an old harness. And it was the connector on that horn buzzer wire. I have 2 junk harnesses that are used for situations like this and a new repro one and all of the connectors for this pink/black wire were the same. Mine are from 69 Cutlass cars but I'm sure they are the same for the later ones. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.
Brian
Attached Images
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Waytek Wire is but one source of Packard 56 (and 59) series connectors and terminals.

http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/...55A072+M50+ENG
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

My question, Joe, is do you know of any places that sell them cheaper, in bulk.

17¢ a terminal isn't terrible, but I like to buy things like this in bags of 100, and would hope to get a price somewhere under a dime a piece for that. I've looked, and I haven't found any (plus I'm cheap), so I reuse and recycle .

- Eric
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
My question, Joe, is do you know of any places that sell them cheaper, in bulk.

17¢ a terminal isn't terrible, but I like to buy things like this in bags of 100, and would hope to get a price somewhere under a dime a piece for that. I've looked, and I haven't found any (plus I'm cheap), so I reuse and recycle .

- Eric
Waytek sells the Packard 56 terminals in bulk, but they don't list the plastic connector bodies. You might contact them to see if there's a quantity discount.
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks!