Wipers Won't Park

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2024, 07:00 AM
Rodney

Wipers Won't Park

I just replaced the wiper motor and the washer pump on my 72 442 convertible project. I had issues with the factory style mechanical washer pump so I replaced it with an electric pump from Trico that isn't mechanically driven by the wiper motor. Everything worked well after reinstalling the wiper motor with the new Trico pump, but now (out of the blue) the wipers won't park and the washer motor runs all the time. I'm looking for troubleshooting suggestions; is this a grounding issue? could it be the dash switch?. I think I can hear a faint clicking sound when the switch is in the off position (i.e. wipers should be parking) so maybe it's a mechanical problem in the wiper motor. Don't understand how that could be related to the washer pump running all the time.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Rodney
Old March 2nd, 2024, 07:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

I had this problem as well with that Trico pump. I'm disappointed with it to say the least. There's apparently some electrical sneak circuit that is keeping the park relay from opening or a mechanical obstruction that prevents the park pawl from engaging. I bandaided it by putting a switch in the wire that controlled the relay to de-energize it, which allows the park pawl to catch and park the wipers. I fixed it permanently when I found an NOS wiper motor (with washer pump).