General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1971 Olds 442 fuel and vapor lines

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2020, 11:42 PM

1971 Olds 442 fuel and vapor lines

I have a 1971 Olds 442. I did not take it apart and it was returned to me mid-restoration in hundreds of pieces. So I don't have reference photos other than the Service, Assembly and Body manuals. My issue is that I have 3 fuel and vapor lines running along the passenger side of the vehicle. I believe that means there is a 3/8 fuel line, a 5/16 vapor line and a 1/4 in fuel return line. Per the service manual some of the A body cars do not have a fuel line return. I notice that my fuel tank which is not currently mounted in the car only has ONE 3/8 tube coming out of the sending unit and does not have a fuel line pipe directly next to it. Therefore there is no fuel line return into the gas tank. So I don't know if the guy that was restoring my car for me either put in a fuel line return on the chassis by mistake or gave me back a gas tank that was not originally in my car. My questions are as follows:

1. Which A Body cars have the fuel line return? Which A body Cars do not? Does this fuel tank & sending unit belong in a Cutlass not a 442?

2. There are 3 vapor lines coming off the Stand Pipe located behind the Rear seat. When I got the car back, they were cut off at the rubber that goes to the gas tank. (Probably to remove them from the gas tank before the frame off restoration). There is only one "squeeze clamp" on each piece of rubber located on the pipe side of the rubber. Should there also be a squeeze clamp on the gas tank side, or should I just push it on as far as it goes there by allowing the ability to remove the pipes without lowering the gas tank?

3. Before mounting the fuel tank, I wanted to change the vapor tubes that attach to the Stand Pipe because they are all rusty so I pulled out the Stand Pipe. I notice that the rubber hose between the Stand Pipe and the vapor pipes does not have clamps. This actually looks like there never were any clamps on these hoses because there are no clamp impressions on the rubber. Is this correct?

Photo before removing Stand Pipe and vapor tubes. Does the Stainless tube on the left go to the 3/8 fuel tube on the fuel tank sending unit? Is the one next to it a 1/4 fuel return line. The Stainless pipe to the far right appears to attach to the rubber hose on the Stand Pipe? Is this correct?

This stainless tube appears to attach to cut off rubber hose attached to the Stand Pipe. Should there be a clamp on it?

This the Stand Pipe taken out of the car to clean it up. There are no clamps on these rubber hoses. Is this correct?

There is a squeeze clamp attached to each of these vapor lines that come off the Stand Pipe. They go to the fuel tank. Was there also a clamp on the fuel tank side of the rubber hose before it was cut off?

Photo of the 3 pipes that run along the Passenger side of the chassis from the gas tank area all the way up to the engine compartment.

4. Does anyone have any photos of the bottom of a 442 fuel tank / Stand Pipe area to show me what it should look like?

5. Does anyone put tar paper or any other material between the fuel tank and bottom of the car to reduce noise of the tank rubbing against the body?

Many Thanks,
Nunzio

Last edited by surfer455; December 20th, 2020 at 12:13 AM.
Old December 20th, 2020, 07:20 AM

70Post on here sells a quality fuel tank to body insulation material.
I’ll try to take pics of my fuel lines,
Old December 20th, 2020, 10:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

All this information is in the Cutlass Assembly Manual. Mine is 72, but basically the same as 71. Only difference with the return line is yours will go to the fuel sender.

Original lines, restored. The lines to the cannister are all friction fit

Comparison fuel senders Left - Fuel Return. Note: repro ground straps too short and face wrong direction. Right - OEM non Fuel return (typical 350)

I did install one of Patton's (70Post on this site) gas tank pads. They were never installed on 71/72 cars but I wanted it in there. It fits very well and I recommend his product.

Old December 20th, 2020, 12:06 PM
Rodney

Here is a diagram of the vapor and fuel return line routing for '72 Cutlass/442.

Old December 20th, 2020, 04:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I should have noted the 71 442 is automatically a BBO so it needs the return fuel line from the fuel pump to sender. Other than that there's really no difference in the tubing or clamps. The 71/72 fuel tank is a GM34R with 3 vents to the cannister.
Old December 20th, 2020, 04:31 PM

Is your fuel pump set up for the return fuel line.

Someone posted a table here that showed which cars had the return and which ones did not in 1971. I snagged it off the post and here it is:

Old December 21st, 2020, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
70Post on here sells a quality fuel tank to body insulation material.
I’ll try to take pics of my fuel lines,
@ dc2x4drvr - Do you have a phone number, website or email address to order the fuel tank to body insulation material.
Many Thanks, Nunzio

Last edited by surfer455; December 21st, 2020 at 12:34 AM.
Old December 21st, 2020, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
All this information is in the Cutlass Assembly Manual. Mine is 72, but basically the same as 71. Only difference with the return line is yours will go to the fuel sender.

Original lines, restored. The lines to the cannister are all friction fit

Comparison fuel senders Left - Fuel Return. Note: repro ground straps too short and face wrong direction. Right - OEM non Fuel return (typical 350)

I did install one of Patton's (70Post on this site) gas tank pads. They were never installed on 71/72 cars but I wanted it in there. It fits very well and I recommend his product.
@Allan R - Thanks for your message! I have a 442 with a 455 cu in motor. So it appears from this chart and your message that my fuel tank/sending unit should have a fuel line return and I probably got the wrong tank back. So where do I buy one that will have the electrical leads long enough. Can I use the fuel tank or is it okay to buy an $80 after market fuel tank? Any suggestions on the fuel tank and sending unit and wire will be greatly appreciated.

How did you clean up your tubes. Mine look really corroded on both the inside and outside and was thinking just buying new ones.

What about the stand pipe? If I clean up the outside am I good to go? Or do you think the inside could be corroded.

Many Thanks,
Nunzio
Old December 21st, 2020, 02:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Nunzio,
After I posted I realized it was a 71 442 so it automatically had to be a 455 so yes your fuel pump and sending unit should have a fuel return line. I need to ask you about your comment on the fuel tank. Are you referring to using the one the car was built with? If yes, look closely at the exterior of the tank for any signs of corrosion (pin holes or perforation). If none, check inside for rust. If there's rust you could likely clean it out but to be honest, the effort to do that is huge and a new reproduction tank is likely the best bet. If the tank is good I'd keep it and maybe paint it. Mine was leaking from the seams and had already been patched once which is why I replaced it. The best aftermarket tank I know of is Spectra Premium GM34RFI at RockAuto. They also have the Spectra Premium sender FG91D that fits your car. I don't know any company that sells an $80 replacement tank for your car and I'd be suspicious of it too. The SP tanks come coated with a waxy/oily preservative on the exterior which I left on. BTW if you look at your tank you'll also see some numbers stamped into it. That is the ordinal date it was stamped. When I found that on my car at first I thought it was the part number but one of our members here identified it properly for me.

The tubes on my car were on the car since day one and never off but they had been sprayed with and undercoating solution that preserved them really well. I used a wire wheel to clean them up before coating them with silver paint. If yours are badly corroded, I'd just buy new ones. Inline tube sells them as a 3 piece set (PLF7103 page 176 of the online catalogue) at a reasonable price too.

As far as the standpipe I have no idea what condition it's in. But if its crusty it can be replaced, usually through a boneyard search. These standpipes were used in all the GM A bodies (Cutlass, Skylark, Lemans, Chevelle- 2 or 4 door regardless of small or big block - from 1971/72 so there's a lot of options and most boneyards probably will have them. I looked at DVAP Desert Valley Auto Parts and they have likely got what you want in spades.
Old December 21st, 2020, 02:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sorry, I forgot to link you to Patton Glade (70Post on this site) You can PM him with this link Patton Glade PM Here is the thread he started on these pads Gas Tank Pads --- Restoration Item

Second thing I forgot - if the sender wire is too short it's easy to add to it. Hardly anything to worry about.

Here's a picture of his tank pad on my tank just prior to installation

Installed. Can't even tell it's there and there's no problem snugging down the tank strap bolts either

All hardware on bumper is either fully restored or NOS replacement. Prior to getting the trumpet exhaust installed.

Old December 21st, 2020, 11:30 PM

Allan R - Thanks for the reply and for the photos of the tank pad. I'm going to clean up the Stand Pipe and buy new vapor lines. It appears from your photo that there are no clamps on the hoses in between the Stand Pipe and the Vapor tubes going to the fuel tank. Should there be 2 clamps on each of the 3 short hoses connecting the fuel tank vapor tubes to the long tubes running to the Stand Pipe. (One on the fuel tank side and one on the vapor pipe side?

Regarding the fuel tank: The tank that was returned to me as "mine" is obviously not. There are no stamps on it because the guy painted it. From your info I realize it is out of a Cutlass 350 not my 442. I will open it up and see if it is clean of rust inside and check for pitting.

BTW: Your photos are awesome! Do you have a wider shot looking under the car that shows the fuel lines connecting from the fuel line to the gas tank?

Many Thanks,
Nunzio
Old December 22nd, 2020, 10:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by surfer455
I'm going to clean up the Stand Pipe and buy new vapor lines. It appears from your photo that there are no clamps on the hoses in between the Stand Pipe and the Vapor tubes going to the fuel tank. Should there be 2 clamps on each of the 3 short hoses connecting the fuel tank vapor tubes to the long tubes running to the Stand Pipe. (One on the fuel tank side and one on the vapor pipe side?
No, the connections on the stand pipe didn't have any on them when I removed the tank, and that's also evident in the Assembly Manual diagram in Rodney's post. There isn't any pressure in those lines and they're a snug fit. A trick I learned from a mechanic friend is to use some Vaseline inside the tubing and on the metal tube. Makes the insert a little easier. Also remember that gravity works so anything in the standpipe will drain to the tank. There are clamps on the end of the lines attached to the tank. I'll try and find some for you.

I pre-staged the small rubber connections and fitted them with the original clamps that I painted original yellow

Regarding the fuel tank: The tank that was returned to me as "mine" is obviously not. There are no stamps on it because the guy painted it. From your info I realize it is out of a Cutlass 350 not my 442. I will open it up and see if it is clean of rust inside and check for pitting.
Does the tank have 3 vents on it? I'll get you a picture to compare. My info was only related to the fuel sending unit. If the one you have only has one outlet, yes it came from a 350 (non ac) car. BUT, the tank is exactly the same for all models, just the sender changes.

Do you have a wider shot looking under the car that shows the fuel lines connecting from the fuel line to the gas tank?
No, unfortunately it gets pretty cramped in there when the tank is installed. If I had taken the pictures before I re-installed the rear axles... I guess hind sight is 2020. Have this though if it helps

Left side looking in

Right side looking in.

Old December 23rd, 2020, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
No, the connections on the stand pipe didn't have any on them when I removed the tank, and that's also evident in the Assembly Manual diagram in Rodney's post. There isn't any pressure in those lines and they're a snug fit. A trick I learned from a mechanic friend is to use some Vaseline inside the tubing and on the metal tube. Makes the insert a little easier. Also remember that gravity works so anything in the standpipe will drain to the tank. There are clamps on the end of the lines attached to the tank. I'll try and find some for you.

I pre-staged the small rubber connections and fitted them with the original clamps that I painted original yellow

Does the tank have 3 vents on it? I'll get you a picture to compare. My info was only related to the fuel sending unit. If the one you have only has one outlet, yes it came from a 350 (non ac) car. BUT, the tank is exactly the same for all models, just the sender changes.

No, unfortunately it gets pretty cramped in there when the tank is installed. If I had taken the pictures before I re-installed the rear axles... I guess hind sight is 2020. Have this though if it helps

Left side looking in

Right side looking in.
Allan R - Thank you for the photos and all the information! The yellow clamp photos show exactly what I needed to know on connecting the vapor clamps at the fuel tank side. Do you recall if the vapor hose which I think is about a foot long that comes off of the stand pipe has a clamp on it on the side that connects to the 5/16 line that runs from the back of the car to the front of the car? I realize the Stand Pipe side is "pressure fitted.

Many Thanks,
Nunzio
Old December 23rd, 2020, 12:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

... Do you recall if the vapor hose which I think is about a foot long that comes off of the stand pipe has a clamp on it on the side that connects to the 5/16 line that runs from the back of the car to the front of the car? I realize the Stand Pipe side is "pressure fitted.
That line is an emissions line and has no clamp, just pressure fit. It's not under any pressure at all.
Old January 5th, 2021, 11:35 PM

Allan R - Thank you for your reply. I cleaned up the stand pipe, reinstalled it and attached the vapor pipes that go to the gas tank. Here is a photo.
Do you recall if the 1 foot piece of 5/16" vapor hose that you mentioned in your last reply should be routed below the three pipes as they are in my photo or should they go above the 3 pipes and be wedged against the trunk floor board? Many Thanks for you help. Best, Nunzio

Old January 6th, 2021, 04:46 AM

Allan R - Thank you for your reply. I cleaned up the stand pipe, reinstalled it and attached the vapor pipes that go to the gas tank. Here is a photo.
Do you recall if the 1 foot piece of 5/16" vapor hose that you mentioned in your last reply should be routed below the three pipes as they are in my photo or should they go above the 3 pipes and be wedged against the trunk floor board? Many Thanks for you help. Best, Nunzio
One of the previous posts with the page out of the assembly manual shows it between the trunk pan and the three vapor hoses.
Old January 7th, 2021, 12:14 AM

Thanks for the reply! I rerouted the hose. From looking at the previous assembly manual photo I think this is now correct. Do you know if the 1/4" and 3/8" fuel lines are in the correct position in relation to the Passenger side vapor line? The fuel lines have the red caps on them and the vapor line has the gray cap on it. Here are a couple of photos. Thanks!

Old January 9th, 2022, 03:45 PM

Thanks for your previous help. I found a Dorman Fuel Tank and Sending Unit with fuel line return. My fuel lines coming out of the sending unit point slightly (about 15 degrees) toward the passenger side of the car. I am wondering if this is correct. The only reference I have is an original single line sending unit like your photo on the right. That one would go straight out the tank. I found a Spectra Premium sending unit and that one goes straight out the tank with the fuel line return pointing slightly toward the drivers side. However, the Spectra Premium sending unit is a toy in comparison to the Dorman Sending unit. The Spectra unit has a filter tube where the Dorman has a filter sock like the original design. The Spectra unit has a thin internal wire where the Dorman unit as a flat wide black wire strap just like the original. The Spectra unit has the ground going straight up in the air where The Dorman points forward. I just don't know if these pipes coming off my Dorman unit are correct and point in the correct direction. When I go to connect the rubber hoses to them it makes a tight bend. I did another post on December 19, 2021 titled "1971 Olds 442 fuel and vapor lines." With photos that show this situation. Would you please take a look at it and let me know what you think. Many Thanks, Nunzio