General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Battery Disconnect Switch

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM

Battery Disconnect Switch

You guys use one or not. Good or bad. With battery tender or not. What do you think.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:49 AM

I shall contribute my 2 cents:

I do not use one. I do use battery tenders; 3 of 'em.

I think they are indeed a good thing. Especially when one sees/hears about mysterious car fires caused by shorted wiring!

Now, if a car has an onboard computer that gets erased because of a a battery disconnect, then they are not a good thing, IMHO.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:24 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

To add my two cents to this discussion. First answer is yes good. Second answer is buy a high quality one not the $10 junk...Read on...Beware there are at least three versions (quality) of said disconnect switch on the market maybe more. Stay clear of the chineasium china-freight junk, been on that band wagon for years. Read the labels people then put it back on the shelf its the only way retailers will stop putting it on the shelf.
Belden, Packard, Bussmann, Flamingriver etc...offers the higher quality part at least they did. Call and ask. Search around for the better one. The higher quality unit will be $10-20 more than the $10 overpriced china, taiwaneasium junk. Some of the higher end ones even come OSHA 1910.147 compliant but usually that's reserved for the NHRA approved race stuff. NAPA carried both qualities last time I purchased one about 2 years ago. Also seek out the Corvette suppliers and Marine dealers. Some of the Marine parts comes USCG (coast guard) Mil Spec.
Additionally proper battery maintenance is a must with any vehicle. Clean neutralize and apply protectant regularly to all batteries.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:34 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I never fully "put away" my car for the year, and it has a digital stereo, so I leave it connected and put a Battery Tender on it from time to time.
I also do all wiring myself, with everything soldered and shrink-tubed, and have been through essentially every foot of wiring in the car.

My old man has a few old cars, and he just pulls off a battery terminal when he puts them in the garage, which is a good $20 cheaper than buying a quality disconnect switch, and actually faster than unscrewing those screw-down switches.

- Eric
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:39 AM

I have a disconnect on all the vehicles I work on. It just makes shutting off the battery easier when doing mods/maintenence.
I've got a Walmart auto 1.5 amp charger that I can move between vehicles by plugging in the cigarette lighter.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
jfb

I use a dissconect and have had no problems it is a very good quality one though about 35 bucks new and i have had it for 7 years usa made plus i charge my battery fully 2 times a year and switch off thru the winter no drain and no problems also.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:56 PM
Administrator

I leave mine connected all the time cause I drive it everyday. Also, I do just like Eric's dad, I remove the battery terminal if I need to disconnect the battery. I don't like battery tenders, seen too many of them overcharge the battery and leak acid all over the place.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:43 PM
72 Olds CS

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post461807

Here's my story made in USA and reasonable price

Last edited by RetroRanger; February 23rd, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:22 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I dont like the on/off with the cables. The spring rings stretch and wear out quickly so will standard nut & bolt clamps. I dont take this one off the road during the salt months I just use the disconnect with a tender. It has a 10 year old DieHard Gold in it!...knock on wood!!!The disconnect can act as another form of theft deterrent as well. When I take er out and cant keep a full line of sight on it Ill actually take the green wheel off and put it in my pocket. Along with a few other tricks. If they want it they'll need a flatbed and its not ever out of sight that long, oh and I DONT CALL 911!