General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need advice! 1969 cutlass convertible

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2017, 04:29 PM

Need advice! 1968 cutlass convertible

Hello,
I was given this 1968 cutlass convertible. The car has been sitting in the garage for 30 yrs. She told me I could have it if I got it out of the garage. Her son started the project 30 yrs ago . He pulled the body off , sandblasted the chassis painted , installed new brakes , lines , and suspension. Installed new floor but did not finish the job. It looks like a quarter panel was patched then banged up . THe other was cut along with some of the inner wheel well. I can install parts and get running but can't weld quarters or body and paint. I don't have slot of extra time or money . Should I sell as is ? What is it worth as it sits? Should i get quarters installed and wrench in free time. I don't need a show car but a driver . What cost should I expect to get body and paint finished?

Thanks for you input!

Last edited by Mattb; May 13th, 2017 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Wrong year in title
Old May 13th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Old School Olds

Cool project. I have a 69 in about as good shape. (pieces) If you can get it back together
and running that would be good but as parts there is some money to be made as well.
Good luck with the decision whatever you decide. Free is always good. Your ahead in the game.
Welcome to CO. Great bunch of fellas here.

Last edited by tru-blue 442; May 13th, 2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old May 13th, 2017, 05:45 PM

Mine was way worse than yours when I started
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
orig lt front.jpg.JPG (60.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN1966small.JPG (192.8 KB, 20 views)
Old May 13th, 2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mattb
I don't have slot of extra time or money .
Well, it looks as if a significant amount of both of those will be required just to get that car reassembled into driving condition. It can be spread out over a looooong time as many of us who don't have lots of money/time to expend all at once have done.
Good luck with it.
Old May 13th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Administrator

If you don't have a lot of time and money all you will get out of this is frustration. What makes this even harder is the fact its a convertible. In addition the worst part of this project is the body which you don't have the skill to do anything about and is the most expensive issue at hand. Your best bet is to find another body or sell.
Old May 13th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the site... Based on your lack of time, money, & experience you will most likely do better by selling what you have and investing in a more complete running project...
Old May 14th, 2017, 04:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Your biggest problem is that is NOT a convertible frame. It's an open channel hardtop frame is is neither correct nor stiff enough for use under a convertible. Convertible frames are fully boxed. Apparently the P.O. gave up on the rusted original frame and got this one instead.

Bodywork and paint will likely cost more than the car would be worth completed.
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:37 AM

Welcome. Depending on where you live and the quality of work done, I'd say a round about estimate on the body work would be between 8 to 15K. The top about $1,500. The chassis, unfortunately, is your main obstacle right now. Without the proper one the project is at a stand still. You can certainly get another one but at what cost? I have to agree with the others, by the time you put this car together you will have double if not triple into what it's worth. It all depends on what it means to you. Do you want a project? Is this your outlet from life's BS? Then it could be a yes. If it's an investment then forget it. You will get all fired up then it will sit then you will get motivated again. The cycle will continue throughout the project. As far as money and time, unless you hit lotto you will never have enough of each. I think I speak for most when I say if you are making the money you don't have the time and if you have the time you don't have the money. Come to think of it that should be the Auto hobbies "Murphy's Law #1". Good luck to you either way.
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:43 PM

Thanks guys! The frame being wrong is a killer. I am going to sell. What should I ask for all of it? I would prefer to sell it all in one shot.
Thanks
Old May 14th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

You'll get twice as much if you part it separately. A rust-free 68 hood is worth at least $350. A HT frame, maybe $700, Doors about $150 each. Good core support about the same, etc, etc. Selling it all at once, you likely won't get $750.
Old May 14th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Rocket Renegade!

As usual, Joe's advice is the best. If your wife complains about the clutter from parting the car out, just point out to her how much extra money you stand to make doing it that way.

The good part is the disassembly is already done.
Old May 14th, 2017, 05:15 PM
72 Olds CS

True you'll get more parting it, but it's at least twice as much work, multiple trips to the shipper crating parts etc.

As a whole you might find a buyer at 2-2500 maybe a little more but projects can be a tough seller especially in thus condition, I put a rougher 71 vert out there for 1500 and was happy to get 1000 for it.
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
As usual, Joe's advice is the best. If your wife complains about the clutter from parting the car out, just point out to her how much extra money you stand to make doing it that way.

The good part is the disassembly is already done.
Tell her nothing or she will figure out a way to get a majority of the cut?
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:57 PM

Yup, if you have the time part it out, way more bucks...