General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:37 AM

need some advice...

Ok I have a 69 Cutlass that came with a 350, 2bbl, 4 speed and 3.08 posi rear, I have since built a 455, the motor is number matching to the car, tranny etc, now it does have number 5 heads, crank drilled for 4 speed, yada yada yada, I always thought I would save the original motor with the car, as with all the other parts I have changed (drums, spindles, backing plate, original boxed trailing arms, etc etc) to give to the buyer if i ever sold the car.

1. My first question is this, is it worth holding onto this stuff? I mean do you think anyone will ever want to restore this car to an original odd ball cutlass S?

2. If I decided to sell the motor what is it worth, it has NEVER been outside since I removed it from the car, it has 100K miles on it, but except for a little start up smoke ran flawlessly and strong, no knocks, tics, or tocs etc etc etc, but has not been started since around 1994, it does spin freely.

thanks for any help, I only have a single car garage and I would love to free up some space if it makes $en$e
Old May 18th, 2012, 12:10 PM

Keep it. clean it up pickle it. and set it aside . TMO
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

The reality is that a 350 2bbl car, even a manual trans, is never going to be a high dollar collectible where people care about it being numbers matching.
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The reality is that a 350 2bbl car, even a manual trans, is never going to be a high dollar collectible where people care about it being numbers matching.
Ditto! However, to return the car to the condition to where the fun pedal is actually fun, priceless! I would do a light rebuild on it and put it back in the car and thoroughly enjoy it! Sell the 350!
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:54 PM
"Car"mudgeon

I guess it depends on what you call high dollar. The car is over 40 years old and they ain't turning them out anymore. Maybe not as desirable as say a 4bbl big block car, but I would keep the original stuff to stay with the car just my little $0.02
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:07 PM

done....

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Ditto! However, to return the car to the condition to where the fun pedal is actually fun, priceless! I would do a light rebuild on it and put it back in the car and thoroughly enjoy it! Sell the 350!
The 455 is done already details in my major builds thread, car has also been converted to 4 wheel disc tranny is done diff is done, :-)

What is a good core 350 worth?
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:31 PM

Just DONT SELL IT
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
I guess it depends on what you call high dollar. The car is over 40 years old and they ain't turning them out anymore. Maybe not as desirable as say a 4bbl big block car, but I would keep the original stuff to stay with the car just my little $0.02
x2

bill
Old May 19th, 2012, 06:26 AM

thanks fellas

That makes the decision a little easier

I have the car more than 30 years and I have the 350 on the engine stand for more than 10 years I guess I can hold on to it as the money for it won't b much and maybe 1 day I find another project (oh lawdy another 20 year project lol) it was always my thought to hold it for the next guy so i will stay the course:-)
Old May 19th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Sorry, I was confused as to which fun pump was in it. If it were me, I would just sell the old stuff and make room for new junk to take its place!
Old May 19th, 2012, 08:13 AM

The engine's probably not worth much, but if in running condition, maybe worth holding onto. You can buy or build an engine storage cradle on rolling casters, and with the carb and dizzy removed, put a piece of wood on it for a rolling storage shelf. Maybe put your garbage can on it. Done this more than once, and beats tying up the engine stand, and garage space it takes.