General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Replacing fuel line

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2021, 02:42 PM

Replacing fuel line

This is a 1960 Olds Dynamic 88 with about 75,000 original miles. There are two fuel lines in the engine compartment. One brings gas from the tank and the other is a return line. There is a crack in the rubber fuel hose that brings gas from the tank. That hose originates at a steel fuel line coming out of the gas tank, and terminates in the engine compartment. I cannot run the engine until I replace at least part of the fuel hose. I am hoping someone has had experience dealing with this issue, and I am looking for answers to these questions:

1. Does the fuel line go all the way back to the gas tank inside the frame rail?

2. Is the entire length of this fuel line a rubber hose?

3. I see what appears to be a fastener where the fuel hose emerges from the frame rail in the front. Is there another fastener elsewhere ?

4. What is the correct method for removing the old fuel line?

5. What is the correct method for inserting a new fuel hose?

The option for putting the car up on a lift is out of the question at this time. Thanks in advance for any information about this.
Old June 20th, 2021, 03:04 PM

From the description it sounds like only the rubber section of hose needs to be replaced. The hose terminates where you see the clamp and transitions to the steel line. The rubber does not run all the way back to the tank. The hoses at the tank at the other end of the steel line fail and are often overlooked, inspect them.

To replace the hose, get new hose rated for gasoline, clamps, remove the clamps, remove the hose, replace the hose and tighten the clamps and check for leaks. Remember you are working with gasoline, NO heat, open flames or sparks allowed!

Good luck!!!
Old June 20th, 2021, 03:18 PM

Suggest you use a replacement hose that is made to withstand ethanol blend fuels. I’m not sure if that is all new hoses these days as a standard or not, but ethanol is reported to soften and disintegrate rubber over time.

If you’re replacing one flexible hose, you might as well do the others as well just so you know the entire system has been gone through and is sound. One less thing to worry about once it’s done completely. Also it’s possible all your flexible hoses are approximately the same age, it would be a shame to fix one, then have another one go.

You may want to consider extra well built fuel injection hose as well. It’s made to handle much, much more PSI in the line than mechanical fuel pumps and carbs need, but for a few extra dollars, why not go for something safer/better?
Old June 20th, 2021, 03:22 PM

Good advice, if you can get fuel injection hose of the correct size go for it. Use fuel injection clamps if available. Snug the clamps well but don't tighten them to the point of cutting the hose.
Old June 20th, 2021, 03:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

The factory used metal hard line along the inside of the frame rail. There is a short section of rubber hose connecting the tank sending unit to the back end of this line (you can see it in above the rear axle under the car) and another section of hose that connects the front of the hard line to the pump. The hose is about two feet long, maybe less, with a clamp on each end. This is a suction hose, so don't let the auto parts store tell you that you need to use the high pressure fuel injection hose.
Old June 20th, 2021, 03:27 PM

Anyone know what hose ID the OP will need? 3 feet of each should be plenty.
Old June 20th, 2021, 04:14 PM

While we’re on fuel line hose, as a topic, do all the new lines made for fuel — injection or not — handle today’s ethanol blended fuels?

I could see where it would be a sensible national safety standard, or a risk we’re all bearing unknowingly.

Old June 20th, 2021, 04:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cfair
While we’re on fuel line hose, as a topic, do all the new lines made for fuel — injection or not — handle today’s ethanol blended fuels?
Yes. So do new fuel pumps, carb kits, etc.
Old June 20th, 2021, 05:30 PM

Thank you Sugar Bear, cfare, and Joe Padavano for your helpful information.
Old June 20th, 2021, 07:22 PM
Oldsdruid

If you don't have a 1960 factory service manual, make getting one a priority.

If the Sixty is like my 64s, the rubber fuel line runs thru the frame rail from just behind right front wheel to the fuel pump. Get your new fuel line (probably 3/8" ID) and then securely tie it to the old fuel line somehow. Then pull the old fuel line out of the frame rail, pulling the new one along with it. Pulling from either end will work; I've always found it easier to pull from the back.

Suggest getting a 10-12' roll of both supply and return hose. That way you know you'll have enough.

Last edited by rocketraider; June 20th, 2021 at 07:26 PM.