General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Starfire sighting

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 03:20 PM

Starfire sighting

I saw this thread on OldsPower. After reading it, you really gotta feel for someone who has never seen a Starfire.

yea this is a long lil rant.... This is a in my life Well i was out on the end of the dirveway smokin a cancer stick earlier today. WE live on a busy 4 lane road about a block from the local high school This is right around the time school got out, and there was kids and traffic everywhere, the usual after school comotion.

Anyways I happen to look up the street cuz something caught my eye..A lil flash of chrome amid all the new plastic rolling around. Looked like it might be a 62 or 63 impala headlights from the distance, then thought to myself noooo thats not right i been around impalas my whole life and this wasnt one..then i thought...continental? (the one with the suicide rear doors)..nope..well by this time the car made it through traffic and had travelled the 2 or 3 blocks and was passin my house.. I flick the cig butt and look at the hood..still couldnt make out the letters but what other company had a name long enough to stretch across the whole front lip of the hood, and i knew it wasnt chevrolet. It gets closer and i watch the chrome O L D S M O B I L E letters slide past like I knew it was a starfire. what else would it be at that size??? Then it slides by and i hear the rumble of the engine and see the tail lights and the word starfire scripted on the side..

Anyways i about had a heart attack ive NEVER seen a starfire in my life before, except on the internet. Made me feel like some explorer re-discovering a long lost species thought to have been extinct for a million years..Ive been to carhows all across LA, orange county ( home ) and san diego, both lowrider and hot rod shows. NEVER saw one. Then the navy puts me in some lil sh!thole of a town, and i see one right in front of me.

Also saw a 64 cutlass scream by the other night. couldnt even hear my sister on the phone over the engine from a block away...

I want em both

I think the Impala just got replaced as one of my fav cars

Ight im done writin this novel

Old October 1st, 2009, 03:45 PM

Proves, Who could love still love a chebby after seeing a starfire
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM

I saw a Starfire once. I sold it so I could keep my W
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
442PICS_0002.jpg (63.5 KB, 22 views)
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:36 PM

someday I'll have a 62 starfire.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:03 AM

Thumbs up Touchdown

Chequenman is just about ready to drop his SF body back onto the frame after twenty or so years hanging in the air!!! so keep an eye out for his posting possibly late next week...

Last edited by Yellowstatue; October 3rd, 2009 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Discovered hands were jammed on clock!!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:38 AM

There was three around Hardin co. Kentucky where I live about 15-20 years ago. The last time I saw one was about 10 years ago. It's a real same they where great cars. My dad owned one in the late 60's and but that was before I was born so I guess I missed out.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:29 AM

Ya gotta get to an Olds show, so you can see more Starfires, and all the rest of the lineup! I'm lucky that I'm about 110 miles from Lansing, Mi. and Homecoming, and therefore get to see plenty, but I go to as many car shows during the summer months in W. Michigan as I can, and more and more of the large Olds are showing up.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM

I have to admit I am hot for one of these myself. So much so I am off the Toro gig and now in the Starfire groove.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would love to have a 62 Starfire. It would have to be black so all the chrome an stainless stands out. IMO it has to be one of the prettiest Oldsmobiles ever made. Same year GM came out with the Buick Wildcat and the Pontiac Grand Prix. What great cars. GM knew what they were doing back then.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:53 PM

I almost bought a triple black 64 hardtop and passed, should have, and passed on a triple black 62 GP h/t. Stupid.
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Captain of my ship

Old October 4th, 2009, 09:03 AM

I like my 64 Starfire due to the fact that there aren't too many around. My Starfire was the first one that I had ever seen before I bought it a couple of years ago.
Now I can't go to a car show without trying to find another Starfire.