General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What is the Best Fires Extinguisher to use on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2014, 11:23 AM

It’s easier to say which ones are the worst.
I went to a fire safety training recently. We all got a chance to play with several types of fire Extinguisher and put out several controlled fires with real fire Extinguisher. We had to put out Paper Fires and Oil Fires, with several types of extinguishers, Dry-chemical, CO2, Water, etc.

We were told that Dry-Chemical was one of the best to use to put out a car engine fire. We were also told that the Dry-Chemical Extinguisher will also destroy the car too. It seems the dry power will eat away at your metal and electronics similar to the way Road salt will eat your car.
I did little researched on the Dry-Chemical corrosion theory and found the same thing over and over again; Dry-Chemical Extinguisher will eat your electronics. The Dry-Chemicals will also collect in between metal panels joints and speed up corrosion.

Since you should not use the most common and the least expensive Dry-chemical, what should you use?

Halon is the best if you can still find them.
New Halon is not sold to the public. If you can find a full old one, you can still use it legally.
The next best two are CO2 and Haltron.
The CO2 Extinguisher are usually sold in sizes starting at 5 pounds and cost $80 – $150.
The Haltron Extinguisher comes in sizes as small as 1.5 pounds, with the 2.5 pound being a more practical size for $90 - $150

My setup:
My cutlass never leaves my driveway without a Halon in the trunk. To project the Extinguisher from accidental discharge, I keep it in a dedicated labeled tool box, with padding to prevent it from banging round. Soon I will add a backup box with a 5 pound CO2 handheld system. And I will replace my Garage Dry-Chemical extinguisher with a 5 Lb CO2.

I recommend you always have two fire extinguishers handy at all times. The reason is twofold:
1. Most of you have never used a fire extinguisher before and you will miss the first time.
2. Panic and excitement caused you to miss the target the first time, now with the second extinguisher you can calm down and concentrate, then hit your target successfully.
Safety Caution: No matter what type of extinguisher you are using, try to stand up wind and do not breathe in the chemicals.
Good luck and let’s hope you never have to use a fire extinguisher.
Old March 24th, 2014, 12:06 PM

Good info and thanks for posting. I have always been leery of using a dry chemical extinguisher on a vehicle for just the reasons you posted. I have a Halon extinguisher in the Cutlass and a CO2 in the garage. Dry chemical is in the kitchen and I sure hope I never have to use it (or clean up the mess afterwards).
Old March 24th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Shoveling Snow

Get the extinguisher out of the trunk and into the cabin!
Velcro it to the carpet someplace.
Old March 24th, 2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds

x2.....lol
Old March 24th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Administrator

I keep plenty of insurance on the car and home for such catastrophes.
Old March 24th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Old School Olds

Right...Mine stays right behind the driver's
seat in the floorboard.
Old March 24th, 2014, 05:57 PM

I have my car insured for 20K if it catches on fire I'll let it burn, for other peoples fires I have a reg old chemical fire extinguisher.
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:35 PM

This is for sure and keep a good one in the garage! I had the misfortune of an underhood fire in October here is my story. A beautiful fall Sunday afternoon, Ill take the cutlass out for a cruise. I started it up, a slight backfire through the carb, left it running in the driveway to warm up, and walked into the garage. I turned and glanced back and saw a little smoke drifting from the cowl vents, as I walked towards the car I see the paint on the hood starting to bubble! I popped the hood, flames shot out, the engine was engulfed in flames from the carb back to the entire firewall. I killed the ignition, ran into the garage, grabbed the extinguisher, pulled the pin and shot it into my engine compartment, NOTHING the damn thing was empty. sent my son to the kitchen to get that one, one shot smothered the flames for 20 seconds and it flared right back up. I ran back into the garage grabbed a fire blanket that a neighbor had given me and threw it over the fire finally we got it extinguished. I too have insurance and am still working out the repairs with them but I never want to see my car self destructing and feeling totally defenseless!
Old March 27th, 2014, 05:55 AM
morgan

always remember R.A.C.E and P.A.S.S in a fire emergency

Rescue,Alarm,Contain,Escape
Pull,Aim,Squeeze,Sweep
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:47 PM

Question

Originally Posted by Miles71
The Haltron Extinguisher comes in sizes as small as 1.5 pounds, with the 2.5 pound being a more practical size for $90 - $150
Why is that? Is 1.5 lbs. not sufficient to put out a small car fire?

Is Haltron common enough that a local fire extinguisher place would be able to recharge in a couple of years, or is it a specialty item?

Was looking at these:
http://www.h3rperformance.com/hg100r.htm
http://www.h3rperformance.com/hg250r.htm
(they also come in chrome and black - very nice looking, IMO)
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:23 PM

Don't put a CO2 extinguisher in the cabin - CO2 isn't a noble gas, and most CO2 extinguishers will reach 190 bar at 55 degrees C/ 131 F, which isn't unheard of inside a car. At that point it'll vent the CO2.
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:02 PM

Been my personal experience that if a gas fire gets going in the engine compartment for more than 30-40 seconds and the plastic fenders and other plastic get a started you will not put it out with a small extinguisher.My old Bronco 2 burned to the ground while a bunch of bystanders used up 14 extinguishers trying to get it out. It took a 2 inch foam hose from the fire dept. to hose down what was left. I made the mistake of trying to save a bag of valuables in a locked glove box instead of grabbing the extinguisher first. live and learn...Tedd
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:08 PM

That's good info. I always have an ABC fire extinguisher handy. They are a wise investment.
Old May 12th, 2014, 09:13 AM

OK, the bigger one it is.

Still would love to hear if folks had any experience getting Haltron recharge...
Old May 12th, 2014, 09:24 AM

I found that a couple of leaves afire in the far recesses of the Toronado [parts car] should be put out right away, because they don't just go out, and fire spreads way more rapidly than you might think. Tend to it right away. While it's small.
Old May 12th, 2014, 03:19 PM

Found this about Halotron:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ex...carbon_dioxide

Halocarbon replacements, HCFC Blend B ( Halotron I, American Pacific Corporation), HFC-227ea (FM-200, Great Lakes Chemicals Corporation), and HFC-236fa (FE-36, DuPont), have been approved by the FAA for use in aircraft cabins in 2010.[15] Considerations for halon replacement include human toxicity when used in confined spaces, ozone depleting potential, and greenhouse warming potential. The three recommended agents meet minimum performance standards, but uptake has been slow because of disadvantages. Specifically, they require two to three times the concentration to extinguish a fire compared with Halon 1211.[16] They are heavier than halon, require a larger bottle because they are less effective, and have greenhouse gas potential.[17] Research continues to find better alternatives.
Sounds like it might not be the solution (to less mess and damage from a small fire)

Last edited by ddd777; May 12th, 2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: URL added