General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Window weather stripping/felt

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2013, 03:09 PM

Window weather stripping/felt

Quick question if there is such a thing. I have a 72 cutlass supreme convertible and I have replaced all the weatherstripping with the exception of the felt along the windows. A friend of mine who had a 2 door hardtop and sold it had an extra pack of the weather felts in his garage which he gave to me. The box says 2 door hardtop. Will it also work on the convertible? Thanks
Old July 14th, 2013, 03:54 PM

Although the door pieces fit, the rear quarter windows use different pieces. Also, the inner chrome bead on the convertible is flat and I believe the hardtop is round. Some aftermarkets are correct but others use a round bead like the hardtops.
Old July 14th, 2013, 04:13 PM

Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case and my luck the rear quarter is most worn on mine. Appreciate the response.
Old July 14th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

These pieces are often referred to as 'window fuzzies' or 'window sweeps'. You'll have to remove the inner door panels to replace the ones mounted on them. To do the outer sweeps though, the door glass and quarter windows have to come out to access the screws that can't be reached any other way....You can get 2 of the 3 screws on the door, but the one in the middle is blocked by the glass.

Have fun with this. Hint: take good pics of the way the glass was secured before you try removing it. Makes the install and replacement of the guides go much better.

Last edited by Allan R; July 15th, 2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: add info
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:55 AM

I replaced the window felts on my 71 98. You can order replacements from aftermarket suppliers. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I ordered mine. I know I still have the receipt at home.

When I replaced mine I removed all of the glass from the doors. Once I installed the window felts I installed the weather stripping and the glass and took my car to a local window shop to align the glass. I have a 4 door hartop so I knew I couldn't do it myself. I paid $300 and the guy aligned the glass and took all of the window motors and lift mechanisms out of the doors and bead blasted, cleaned, and lubed everything. The glass fits together nicely now!
Old July 15th, 2013, 12:38 PM

you dont have to take your glass out. just move the window stop down a little to make the window go down a little further and once the new window sweeps are in, roll the window back up and put the lower stop back to its original position. thanks brandon reynolds