General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

'55 Rocket 88 window weather stripping Question

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2015, 10:40 AM

'55 Rocket 88 window weather stripping Question

Good morning gentlemen,

So my dads 1955 Rocket 88 (two door Holiday) is missing the weather stripping that surrounds the roll-up driver / passenger windows. The window "rattles around" when the door closes and opens and I could use some advice from someone whose car is in better shape than mine.

1. What kind of weather stripping is used on the door for the roll-up window?
2. Is it just on the outside, inside, both?
3. How is it held in place?

My dads car should be out of the shop soon, and this really bothers me that every time I open and close the door the window shakes back and forth. This will be my first project when it comes back to me and any assistance is GREATLY appreciated......and any pictures you could provide would put you in my will!

My sincere appreciation,
Ned
Old March 5th, 2015, 11:40 AM

If I understand ,your front door glass is held in tightly by the glass channel(with Felt lining) at both the front and rear of the door glass. Replacing those sihould take the slack up unless you have some problem inside the door (bolts loose or something broke) where the window regulator fastens in. Look when the window is down ,and see if the felt portion is worn out ,or missing!Should be able to find these online under "window felt". Larry
Old March 5th, 2015, 11:57 AM

Thanks for your reply Larry.

Actually I'm not even sure the glass is channeled properly - it wobbles pretty good. Someone did a "quick" restoration, and the weatherstripping was never finished.

I think I need (from Fusick) "Window Channel kit CK400"
but I'm more concerned with rain getting in between the window and door frame. There is nothing between the glass and outside / inside of door...so if it rains, water slips down the glass and into the door. That's my real concern. and I'm not sure what those are called. That's what I'm really trying to figure out.
Old March 5th, 2015, 12:51 PM

There should be a rubber piece that fits in the rear (Quarter)glass to fill the space between the front glass and the rear (Quarter) glass. It slides up from the bottom (in a channel) on the front of the rear (Quarter)glass. 2dr. hardtop or convertible should fit.I think that Chev. Buick or Pontiac would work as long as it is a 2 dr. Hardtop or convertible. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; March 5th, 2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Correction
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:04 PM

Ebay has them '55 Chevrolet hardtop rear window rubber seals $9.95 a pair .Says ,stops rain from coming in between front and rear window! Your front glass actually uses these as a guide when rolling up front glass when rear glass is up? Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; March 5th, 2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Add
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the help Larry....I'm so sorry, and I really appreciate your help...I think I'm describing the problem wrong. In the hopes of not pissing you off I'll try again, because I really appreciate your patience and willingness to help me.

When the side windows are rolled up there is no rubber snugged up to the entire width of the glass (at the base of the glass) to prevent the water from running into the door. (not between the front and rear glass)

There is nothing on either the inside or outside of the door where the window rolls up or down, just a big gap in the door. So if it rained, or washing the car water would run down the side windows right into the door panel. There is nothing there to keep the water out of the door.

I REALLY appreciate your time on this. I'd take a picture, but car is still in shop with radiator issues.

Ned
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:24 PM

so as the window goes up and down, I'm looking for the rubber that stays in contact with the glass....that fits into the door panel.

is this what I'm looking for? Just dont want to spend the money on something that's wrong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-1960-Bu...9d1b4c&vxp=mtr
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:32 PM

Yes, that should should stop any water from coming between the front and rear glass.My post above has them for half the price. Please read my post I Sent @ 1:04.

Last edited by Rocketowner; March 5th, 2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Correction
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:40 PM

OK I think I see what I'm missing in our dialogue.

By "front and rear" glass....are you referring to the SAME piece of glass?
Im talking about the Inside and outside of the same piece of glass -

I think you are referring to the front roll up window and the rear "quarter"window (two different windows)
(I think my link above separates the front and rear glass too)

Last edited by Vanguard83; March 5th, 2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old March 5th, 2015, 06:30 PM

The 2 door hardtop door weatherstripping for each door comes with a wider moulded piece at the rear of each door ,that has a notch that fits at the lower edge of front door glass .It covers the open space at the bottom rear edge of the door glass,that would otherwise,let water go down into the front door. Stock interiors.com has the door weatherstripping for $101 for the pair,and they have them pictured ,where maybe you can tell if that will be what you are needing. To my knowledge,there are only 3 pieces of weatherstripping that could keep water from getting in around the door, those being the door weatherstrip, the rear window rubber seals,and the "J channel " that goes on the upper part of the front door just below the vent wing. Hope this helps, Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; March 5th, 2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Addition
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:18 AM

Gotcha! Thanks for all of your time on this, I'm kinda just getting into the "classic car" thing as a tribute to my folks, so I'm not the most Savvy when it comes to things under the hood.....weatherstripping......interior.....electr ical.......

Appreciate all your time Larry
Old March 6th, 2015, 12:45 PM

If you don't have a 1955 Olds Shop (or Service) manual you need one. eBay has them on CD or Book version .the book version is better ,because you can have it beside you while working on a project and easier analyze your problems. It contains info about Door glass with pictures. The book version is on EBay now for $40-45 . It will cover all aspects of the car ! Also ,when you get the car back ,you may want to take it somewhere that installs auto glass and they can tell you what is needed. Larry
Old March 6th, 2015, 12:52 PM

Yes - I've got a shop manual in the car, hopefully get the car back today.
(new brakes, radiator, tranny gaskets, belts)
I left it with my mechanic...figured he may need it more than I.

I cannot thank you enough for all your help Larry - Deepest thanks.