To paint or keep original.

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2023, 01:51 AM

To paint or keep original.

I love my 83. Think the weather here in hawaii makes the car run different. So I'll tune it up. But have a question. So my 83s paint is in decent shape. Paint is showing signs of age, but still has the shine. Debating to keep it like that or repaint. I plan to keep my ride stock as much as possible. I'll share Pics tomorrow. I'll take her out for a photo shoot
Old May 4th, 2023, 02:28 AM
Lansing built

Yes the mid eighties factory paint jobs were not so great with time. My dads 84 Caprice was very thin on the deck lid from new. Paint jobs are not cheap and I would assume in Hawaii it's even worse. Special request on the photo shoot. Sunset in the back ground with the parking lamps on. Nothing better for my sweet tooth for my two favorite things, Olds and Hawaii!

Pat
Old May 4th, 2023, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Yes the mid eighties factory paint jobs were not so great with time. My dads 84 Caprice was very thin on the deck lid from new. Paint jobs are not cheap and I would assume in Hawaii it's even worse. Special request on the photo shoot. Sunset in the back ground with the parking lamps on. Nothing better for my sweet tooth for my two favorite things, Olds and Hawaii!

Pat
thanks for the reply. I'll do my best to get the sunset. It's a little cloudy here so I'll do my best. I'll try to take it to ala Moana Beach or so.
Old May 4th, 2023, 05:09 AM

The car is only original once. Not only are paint jobs quite expensive, but you'll pay more if you want OE style single stage paint. Acrylic enamel or lacquer I believe.
Old May 4th, 2023, 05:54 AM
Rocket Renegade!

If you think it still presents well, just leave it. Make sure you keep the car in a dehumidified garage though, otherwise that humid salt air will make short work of it.
Old May 4th, 2023, 09:41 AM

AFAIK, all 83 H/Os were lacquer paint. Looks pretty, has its own patina, easy to correct, and when polished up, looks sharp.

That said, the base/clear is the only way to go if you are going to invest in a new paint job. Better shine and holds up better over time, IMO. This is assuming the surface preparation and product application are properly done. Your choice, obviously.

TIP: Before taking off any of the stripes where it meets the bottom silver paint, measure to the middle of the stripe and average the measurements so you can get a clean paint break measurement from the bottom body break line. The factory did a very crappy job in taping off the black to apply the silver, but did a good job putting the stripes on to cover it. The factory did all the paintwork and striping to the body proper. C&C just added the rest of the major junk like spoiler, air dam and hood scoop to the outside of the car. Shifter inside, and maybe air shocks under the car if that option was ordered. The bottom stripe was wide enough to cover most of the wavy mask lines. Masking quality for the paint was not in a straight line most of the time. You'll see it if you ever repaint it and take the stripes off. And take lots of pics of the original with as many measurement pics of the paint lines as possible. You'll forget the details later down the road if you don't.

When I got my 84 repainted, the painter used a 3/4" (I think, don't quote me on this) wide masking tape from the body break line between the wheel wells. Then ran another masking tape line butted on top of it to make two tape lines, then he removed the bottom tape to give it the proper gap for painting the bottom section. He used the same tape sequence around the wheel wells too from the edge so as to get the right clearances for that. The front and rearmost fenders would effectively split the marker lamp holes right across the center. When I applied the decals, everything lined right up nicely. Anyway, measure the silver to the bottom of your stripes, then split the width of the stripe and add it to your silver. If that makes sense. This way, the paint line should be right in the center of the stripe. If your paint guy is good at two-toning, he'll know what to do.

Old May 4th, 2023, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
AFAIK, all 83 H/Os were lacquer paint. Looks pretty, has its own patina, easy to correct, and when polished up, looks sharp.

That said, the base/clear is the only way to go if you are going to invest in a new paint job. Better shine and holds up better over time, IMO. This is assuming the surface preparation and product application are properly done. Your choice, obviously.

TIP: Before taking off any of the stripes where it meets the bottom silver paint, measure to the middle of the stripe and average the measurements so you can get a clean paint break measurement from the bottom body break line. The factory did a very crappy job in taping off the black to apply the silver, but did a good job putting the stripes on to cover it. The factory did all the paintwork and striping to the body proper. C&C just added the rest of the major junk like spoiler, air dam and hood scoop to the outside of the car. Shifter inside, and maybe air shocks under the car if that option was ordered. The bottom stripe was wide enough to cover most of the wavy mask lines. Masking quality for the paint was not in a straight line most of the time. You'll see it if you ever repaint it and take the stripes off. And take lots of pics of the original with as many measurement pics of the paint lines as possible. You'll forget the details later down the road if you don't.

When I got my 84 repainted, the painter used a 3/4" (I think, don't quote me on this) wide masking tape from the body break line between the wheel wells. Then ran another masking tape line butted on top of it to make two tape lines, then he removed the bottom tape to give it the proper gap for painting the bottom section. He used the same tape sequence around the wheel wells too from the edge so as to get the right clearances for that. The front and rearmost fenders would effectively split the marker lamp holes right across the center. When I applied the decals, everything lined right up nicely. Anyway, measure the silver to the bottom of your stripes, then split the width of the stripe and add it to your silver. If that makes sense. This way, the paint line should be right in the center of the stripe. If your paint guy is good at two-toning, he'll know what to do.
wow. Thank you hurst ohana for your input. I'll keep it the way it is. Matson dented my car so I hope the shop don't need to repaint it. Looks like it can be massaged our. My 84 has been repainted.
have a great day ohana
Old August 4th, 2023, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jusrushem
wow. Thank you hurst ohana for your input. I'll keep it the way it is. Matson dented my car so I hope the shop don't need to repaint it. Looks like it can be massaged our. My 84 has been repainted.
have a great day ohana
Well. My paint is checking. At least i got clear coat yet. I finally get the dentist out next week. I hope they get it out. Then I only have to worry bout the scratches. I'm sure I can get it out. Have a great weekend everyone

Old August 4th, 2023, 03:00 AM

That's a bummer that your Oldsmobile was dented.
Old August 6th, 2023, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
That's a bummer that your Oldsmobile was dented.
yes sir. Don't use minteaymontway transportation they suck.
Old August 6th, 2023, 05:20 AM

I would drive it like it is. Still looks nice to me
Old August 6th, 2023, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I am enjoying it. Wed they will pull the demt out.
Old August 6th, 2023, 06:35 PM

I've got 2 day to decide. I tried to Buff out the scratch but that scratch is deep.

this is a tough choice. Ruin that quarter panel from original paint to repaint or leave the scratches.
Old August 6th, 2023, 07:45 PM

Have it fixed. This is an 83 H/O. Original paint does not influence value on those.
Old August 6th, 2023, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Have it fixed. This is an 83 H/O. Original paint does not influence value on those.
yes. That's True. When I have enough money I'll repaint the whole car. Only problem is hawaii doesn't have shops like the mainland that works on older cars.
Old August 7th, 2023, 10:28 AM
Rocket Renegade!

yes. That's True. When I have enough money I'll repaint the whole car. Only problem is hawaii doesn't have shops like the mainland that works on older cars.
Not just Hawaii. Shops like that are disappearing all over the mainland too.
Old August 7th, 2023, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Not just Hawaii. Shops like that are disappearing all over the mainland too.
true. But in hawaii it's like finding gold. Ive asked 10 places if they would repeat my car. They said no. Even if my car has 0 damage or rust. Unreal.
Old August 8th, 2023, 04:33 AM

Is there a local community college or vo-tech that offers evening auto body classes? You could either do the work yourself or let the students repaint it.
Old August 8th, 2023, 02:31 PM

Is there a local community college or vo-tech that offers evening auto body classes? You could either do the work yourself or let the students repaint it.
that's ok. I'll let the professionals fix it. I plan to keep it forever so mighsoas well make it nice. Maybe someday I'll repaint the whole car.
Old August 8th, 2023, 02:34 PM

true. But in hawaii it's like finding gold. Ive asked 10 places if they would repeat my car. They said no. Even if my car has 0 damage or rust. Unreal.
Are you going to ship your Oldsmobile to the continental US and have the fender fixed? I thought you said there weren't any body shops in Hawaii that were interested in doing it?
Old August 8th, 2023, 02:36 PM

Are you going to ship your Oldsmobile to the continental US and have the fender fixed? I thought you said there weren't any body shops in Hawaii that were interested in doing it?
there is a shop who has done all my cars. Newer ones. They fixed my lexus gsf to perfection. I'm hoping they do this one right. It's not a big area. Pointless said no guarantee on the fix Casuse it's in a bad spot.i am trying to polish the scratches off. If those deep ones comes out maybe I'll not fix it and wait.
Old August 8th, 2023, 03:17 PM

Painting a car usually sucks the fun right out of it. Live with it as long as you can.
Old August 8th, 2023, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 66_Jetstar
Painting a car usually sucks the fun right out of it. Live with it as long as you can.
very true. But at least I have a guarantee of the job. Geico has a 100% guarantee of repair work. This is my dream car. I want to keep it as nice as I can keep it like my Lexus
Old August 8th, 2023, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 66_Jetstar
To each his own.... I heartily disagree! I love to get down to bare metal, and make it right from the steel right up to the finish coat! Now, waxing I have issues with, LOL!
Old August 9th, 2023, 06:32 PM

That’s a beautiful car you have! It had me drooling at age 15 when it came out. I can’t tell how deep the scratches are but I have a 72 with 30 year old black paint. It has its character marks but I decided to try a wax made for black paint. The wax itself is black. I don’t remember the brand but there seem to be at least a few out there. It did seem to help tone down some of the age showing in the paint and helped a bit with fine scratches. If yours is more like an abrasion from a limb it could possibly help. These waxes may all be a gimmick but for a few bucks if it helps even a little it may be worth a shot.
Old August 10th, 2023, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by 72442TwiceOwned
That’s a beautiful car you have! It had me drooling at age 15 when it came out. I can’t tell how deep the scratches are but I have a 72 with 30 year old black paint. It has its character marks but I decided to try a wax made for black paint. The wax itself is black. I don’t remember the brand but there seem to be at least a few out there. It did seem to help tone down some of the age showing in the paint and helped a bit with fine scratches. If yours is more like an abrasion from a limb it could possibly help. These waxes may all be a gimmick but for a few bucks if it helps even a little it may be worth a shot.
thanks for the tip boss. I'll get it fixed. I can't stand that dent n wrinkle on my car. Makes me more mad at montway.
Old August 10th, 2023, 04:50 AM

Is the body shop going to be able to repair the fender with OE style paint, or is the repair going to be a modern urethane BC/CC?
Old August 10th, 2023, 09:25 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Is the body shop going to be able to repair the fender with OE style paint, or is the repair going to be a modern urethane BC/CC?
I would think that any meat and potatoes body shop is going to be working pretty much exclusively in base/clear these days.
Old August 10th, 2023, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
I would think that any meat and potatoes body shop is going to be working pretty much exclusively in base/clear these days.
This. I've got a mismatched paint job on my Chevy from a repair. I was punished at a car show 18 years ago by saying I was in the (now defunct) all original category. I think the car got 56 out of 100 points, including 0 of 5 for trunk equipment on a car that still has the inner tube piece holding the tire iron from shaking against the bumper jack beam. My friend opined maybe it would have been better to leave the car wrecked for that show. I am glad I couldn't find the judge after the awards; I would've been tempted to apply a Greene County Beatdown on him.
Old August 11th, 2023, 02:44 AM

no. They said i need to see a restoration shop. If they fix the dent they couldn't match the rest since the cars paint is checking away. I'll leave it alone. Maybe one day I'll repaint the car with today's newer paint. I don't plan on selling it so I'll b happy. Maybe the pointless can get most of the wrinkle out. Thanks guys for all your support
Old January 14th, 2024, 09:31 PM

Pat
here is your request. I funally got to go out and drive it. Enjoy

Old January 15th, 2024, 05:18 PM
Lansing built

Hey thanks for the pics! Timing was perfect. Negative 3 without the windchill. I will share a nice sunrise of my Olds.

Old January 15th, 2024, 10:43 PM

Hey thanks for the pics! Timing was perfect. Negative 3 without the windchill. I will share a nice sunrise of my Olds.

oh my!! That's beautiful!!! Thanks for the pictures.
Old January 16th, 2024, 02:18 AM
Lansing built

FYI that paint still looks great in my opinion. I have a black 91 Z34 that has paint on the top surfaces that getting weak. What color are the seats? Maple or Sand. Mahalo for the pics again!

Pat
Old January 16th, 2024, 03:37 AM

Lookin' good!
Old January 16th, 2024, 02:46 PM

Update on my wifes car. It is going to have to stay original paint because we spent all our money on another house we will be renting out. I will be doing a really big cleanup and servicing on it and get it reliable for the road again. We will be driving it on the last three days of Power Tour.
Old January 16th, 2024, 11:18 PM

Update on my wifes car. It is going to have to stay original paint because we spent all our money on another house we will be renting out. I will be doing a really big cleanup and servicing on it and get it reliable for the road again. We will be driving it on the last three days of Power Tour.
it's ok. It's still a beautiful car!!! Proud to be a Oldsmobile owner!