Latest Info/Opinions on Seat Foam Please

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM

Latest Info/Opinions on Seat Foam Please

Hi Guys,

I've picked up a nice set of "take-off" Legendary seat covers for my beater 70W that are in excellent shape, but I need to replace the foam in both seats when I install them. I've searched this forum for seat foam info, and what there is is a few years old. So I'd like your latest and greates take on what to use.

I think everyone still agrees that ACI is the best foam to use. Or has the PUI stuff gotten better?

I've looked at both websites and I have to say I'm confused. PUI simply lists BUN6670 as the correct seat foam for all 70 A-body. Over at the ACI site they list two, GMA6670 (caption in the pic says 66-70 A-Body, and caption below pic says 66-67), and GMA71-72 (caption in the pic says 71-72 A-Body, and cation below pic says 68-72 442). So you can see where I'm confused.

The PUI foams have a flat back on the upper, as do the GMA7172 from ACI. The GMA6670 from Legendary has two vertical channels in the seat back.

I know you guys are going to say just call them both and see what they say......but I trust you guys more than I trust them. So what do you guys think?

Looking at the Legendary site for 70 Chevelle foams is also as complicated.........and I thought all 68-72 A-body Strato-Buckets were the same except for the patterns on the covers.

Can anyone point this lost soul in the proper direction???

thanks,
bob
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:07 AM

I've never tested out PUI. I put ACI in my 69, I am very pleased with them.
Here is a link to the pics of them before and after install.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-projects.html
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:41 PM

ACI. Don't know who makes PUI's foams? (If it's Saguaro then the answer would be a big NO!!).

On a '70 442 style bucket cover THE BOTTOM covers each have two runs of "listing" that get pulled down through the seat foams (that's why they have two channels in the bottom of each bucket seat foam for a '70 car...not sure about earlier years). These listing runs run front to back and pull the cover down into the channel (you hog ring them from below after you pull the listing down through the channels). The two listing runs are under the smooth part of the vinyl on the seat bottoms...the first seam in from each outside edge.....where your top thighs/butt would rest approximately. They should be on your new covers.

I don't think the 71 and later bucket seat bottom covers had this feature from the factory (eliminates a labor step when installing them).

I don't think the '70 bucket seat BACK/UPRIGHT cover portions have this listing attached so there's no need for the channel in that part.

BUT...I'd err on the side of getting them from Legendary and specify ACI (I think they still sell both Saguaro and ACI...of course the ACI runs more but it's WELL WORTH IT).

Order them specifically for your model.......that way you should get the proper configuration.

Last edited by 70Post; July 3rd, 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:28 PM
Ben

ACI hands down.