Legendary troubles.

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Legendary troubles.

I was under the impression that Legendary was the best...Now I'm not so sure.
The upholstry on a 71 442 has buttons that are slightly resessed into the foam a little. The Legendary covers use a surface mounted button that is very vulnerable to snagging a belt or part of a pocket as you slide down the seat. Also the factory buttons are probably 20% larger than the repopped Legendary cover. The first time I sat in my bucket seat one of the heads popped off the buttons. I would think for close to $500.00 they would be a little better. I may give them a call tomorrow and let them know what happened. I'll keep you posted.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM

My '68 seats are great. Look almost exactly like the originals.

If I were you, I'd definitely call them and express not only your issue, but also your displeasure. They seem to be very good at trying to remedy situations or at least acknowledge what has happened and try to make it right.
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Definetely send them some pictures of how it looks now and how the originals looked. They should send a new set of covers. Be patient and kind and all should work out.
Too bad they were installed already...
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Update on the Legendary interior

The Legendary seat covers for the 71 442 are very poor. The buttons are 30% smaller and 30% taller. The factory buttons are wide and flat AND COUNTERSUNK INTO THE MATERIAL. The new buttons are on the suface and catch your clothing as you slide into the seat. I have lost 6 buttons on my 71 442 seat covers in one month. I called Legendary and told them of the trouble I am having with the buttons on my seats and they sent me out another set of buttons. The bad news is that they expect me to just remove the seats and then the upholstery, install new buttons, then reuse the covers and reinstall the seats with no hard feelings, which I was willing to do. But the really bad news is they sent out the exact same buttons and I grabbed one and flicked the top off with my thumb. I am still waiting for a return phone call.
I'll keep you posted.
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Geezer

Correct size upholstery buttons is not exactly rocket science nor should there be any difficulty in obtaining the correct diameter and button height.

I don't know what color your seats are but here is a link to an example of a correct button.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-NE...spagenameZWD1V

If you have no luck any local upholstery shop (automotive or furniture) probably has or can get the correct buttons with backs, all they need to make up the right button would be the matching material for your seats.
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:38 AM

That is troubling, I have had stuff from PUI and I thought is was not that high quality. I thought if I were to buy interior pieces ever again, Legendary would be the one's to use. Keep us posted and maybe post some pix.
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:51 AM

Legendary troubles

The 1971 factory Olds buttons fit into a concave holder that held the button below the surface to prevent snagging clothes and belts as you slid down the seat. Legendary gave me a 2nd set of buttons that you poke through the material and spread out the tabs and look just like the original set and the 2nd set. The problem still exists. The buttons are still on the surface and the tabs loosen with every slight snag from a pair of pants. If that is the best they can do I would look elsewhere for any seat covers that have buttons. I used a set of Legenday covers on a 67 442 and they worked out very nice. The 71 covers are for show only and I would be very careful getting in and out of the car if you have a set of covers with buttons. The after the sale service has been fair, sometimes they answer the phone and at other times they never call back. They have been polite and nice to deal with but in all honesty I would love to get my money back and look elsewhere for covers.
Dave
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Well, at least on '70 442 seat covers, Legendary has the most accurate look. Have you considered using some type of good glue to reattach them after the pop off...a good epoxy. I know, I know....you shouldn't have to be doing this,etc, etc.

But...a good epoxy on CLEAN surfaces will probably do wonders and keep them from popping off. The quality of their covers, in my mind, still outweighs the button problem...that can be dealt with. When it comes to door panels, forget it.....nothing but Legendary.
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM

Update on the Legendary interior

I was told by a legendary rep that there was no way the buttons would pull out of the seats. I politely told him I can send pics that prove otherwise. I sent the pics and finally got ahold of a different rep. He said he has seen the trouble before and it does happen. We were very friendly to each other and I told him I always buy Legendary interior and was surprised this hasn't been a bigger issue with others. He told me to use a concaved washer behind the buttons to help recess them from the surface or use the originals. I told him I had planned on using washers because the original buttons used that system but mine were gone. He asked what I would like him to do? I said When the buttons were pulled out it damaged the cover slightly so he offered to make a new seat bottom. I told him that I don't want to be a big pain in the rear but it's a big job to remove the covers and change all the buttons and the car will be down for a while. He said how about a new set of front seat covers so you can maybe put them on a different set of buckets and do a quick change. I said sounds good. I then ordered a new foam set which he gave me a good price on and it is a done deal.
They will be getting my money again in the future.
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Glad it had a happy ending! I kinda knew they would come through eventually.
keep us posted with your progress!