Window Squawking

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2024, 02:39 PM

Window Squawking

Hi guys,
While replacing the door panel carpet I got a case of MAW and decided to grease the moving parts of the window; tracks, bar, etc., which was working perfectly fine, I might add But now it squawks like crazy and I feel some resistance in the window crank. I've tried several different greases (cleaning between) but no help. Is this rubber guide supposed to stay bone dry? Because it sure seems like it's the culprit.
Thanks

Old March 10th, 2024, 03:56 PM

I found some graphite powder. I wonder if that would work.
Old March 11th, 2024, 06:35 AM
Art S

Looks like you are missing hardware and causing it to bind. Check the other ones to see if they are loose.
Old March 11th, 2024, 06:42 AM

Oh wow, thanks Art. I would not have known this. Weird though, I checked the bottom of the door to see if anything had fallen apart and there's nothing down there.
I assume the missing stud is supposed to go through the glass
Old March 11th, 2024, 07:43 AM
Art S

I'm just a casual observer and I'm not in there looking so I don't know what is on the other side. It just looks like it's missing. Just be careful moving anything, these can become a nightmare getting them correct again.
Have you tried using silicone spray where it slides on the pole and on the pole?
Old March 11th, 2024, 08:41 AM

Yeah, I was just out there looking and neither door has that particular bolt, and neither looks like they ever did. Like I said, it was working fine and quiet before I lubed it. Where was that 15 minute time machine yesterday?!

I've tried every lube I have except for the graphite, including silicone gel and spray. I haven't loosened anything yet, so thanks for the heads-up. I may just douse the entire mechanism with brake cleaner, let it dry, and try some of the goo that's collected on the other door's mechanism. But I will say that the mechanism in the other door, that I haven't messed with, the vertical pipe in the pic feels bone dry, and works fine and quiet.
Old March 11th, 2024, 10:56 AM

There may not be a nut or stud in that circled location. I don't see any witness marks.
Old March 11th, 2024, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
There may not be a nut or stud in that circled location. I don't see any witness marks.
Agreed. And there isn't one in the passenger door, either.
Old March 11th, 2024, 12:30 PM
Art S

Correct, but it wouldn't be the first time a part was missed on the assembly line, especially if it was built on a Monday,
Old March 11th, 2024, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Supernice88
Correct, but it wouldn't be the first time a part was missed on the assembly line, especially if it was built on a Monday,
Or a Friday?
Somewhere buried, I have a pic of the beer can I found in my door when I first took the panels off some 8 years ago

Door panel carpeting replaced. Just waiting on the new armrest pads from Fusick. Their carpet was "okay", not perfect, but no worse than the factory. Not quite finished in the pic.

Old March 11th, 2024, 05:14 PM
Art S

Looking good!
Back in the early 70's my brother in law bought a used 67 Fleetwood Caddilac that was immaculate. He said the guy he bought it from told him that when he ordered the car from GM he told them he wanted to be there when it got built and made sure it was built on a Wednesday. He said Mondays were no good because the workers were just getting back from parting all weekend. Tuesdays were no good because they were still getting the clouds out of their heads. Thursdays were no good because they were now getting anxious for their paychecks and their minds were wandering of what they'd be spending it on. Fridays were no good because they were biting at the bit wanting to get out the door and get wasted again. So Wednesdays were best because they were rested up with clear heads and not thinking about the rest of the week.
He was right because that car was absolutely beautiful in every way. For the years he had it he never had any mechanical problems. He sold it because he wanted a newer model.
If you need to touch up the chrome trim pieces on the dash board I found a chrome pen that you can get at the hobby shops. You push in on the tip and the paint soaks the tip and it reflects really nice almost mirror like.
Old March 12th, 2024, 09:25 AM

Oh, the good ol' days of car manufacturing..? Lol. At least they got a decent wage back then.

I must have the same pen. I used it back when I painted ("dyed") my dash black. Still looks really good.

Old March 12th, 2024, 09:29 AM

So, funny thing, the other door glass mechanism is now squawking, and I didn't touch that one! I guess 53 years old is the expiration on the original grease? She was born in April
Old March 12th, 2024, 02:53 PM

Okay, so......the window squawking issue is fixed. Wish I could say how, for sure, but it's fixed. I did two things....
1. I used this very old lithium crayon, but just a little. It has the same consistency as what was on there...the little I came across. And I'm sure after 53 years it had solidified a bit. But even after the lithium it still squawked quite a bit.

2. I put the door panel back on. That's it! That was the trick. I'm not going to question why, I'm just going with it

Problem solved. Moving on. Thanks for the input, fellas.

Last edited by Macadoo; March 12th, 2024 at 04:48 PM.
Old March 12th, 2024, 06:19 PM
Art S

I had an old lady like that once, she'd be squawking away and I'd just put my ear plugs in and the noise went away.
Old March 13th, 2024, 06:17 AM