1969 Cutlass Flat Top Wagon 3 speed Manual

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2024, 03:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

1969 Cutlass Flat Top Wagon 3 speed Manual

Here's the thread on my newly-acquired 69 flattop three-on-the-tree. Car is supposed to be picked up in Phoenix Monday and arrive here by the end of next week. Some photos from the various ads for this car over the last few months. Note that the spare tire well isn't even rusted out. No, that's not white bondo under the peeling paint, it appears to be primer under that apparently housepaint they used.

Note that front bumper doesn't even have the usual tow truck reshaping that they all seem to have. Those missing chrome strips over the rear wheels are unique to 68-69 flattops and are unobtanium. No, Vista trim is not the same. No, four door trim is not the same. I already checked. Likely I'll just dechrome it. More on that later.

Last edited by joe_padavano; March 8th, 2024 at 03:29 PM.
Old March 8th, 2024, 03:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

More photos

Old March 8th, 2024, 03:36 PM

This will be an interesting restoration
Under bumper scoops would look really nice
Alain platinum 442 4spd factoryA/C
Old March 8th, 2024, 03:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

Old March 8th, 2024, 04:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

While looking for prior ads for the car, I found this car that sold a few years ago. Ironically this is also a three-on-the-tree car and appears to be the same Nassau Blue that mine was originally. This car has a BBO now (likely not the best for longevity of the Saginaw trans). I really like the de-chromed look and the dog dishes. This is a leading candidate for how I want to do mine.

Old March 8th, 2024, 05:43 PM

Sweet new ride Joe. Look forward to the build trail.
Old March 8th, 2024, 06:14 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Subscribed.

Get to work, Joe!
Old March 8th, 2024, 06:46 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Congrats on the wagon purchase Joe. I know you are anticipating its arrival. Happy Motoring!

Old March 8th, 2024, 07:43 PM

Congratulations on the new toy Joe! It will be a fun car to play with!
Old March 9th, 2024, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Car is supposed to be picked up in Phoenix Monday and arrive here by the end of next week. Note that the spare tire well isn't even rusted out.
Sweet ride! My Arizona Vista also has a rust-free spare well. Who is doing the transport?
Old March 9th, 2024, 04:55 AM

I'm really glad you got that car. Joe. Looks like a great one!
Old March 9th, 2024, 08:24 AM

Nice!
What are your plans for the car?
Old March 9th, 2024, 08:57 AM

Nice! I'm anxious to watch the build journey. I noted the 4-4-2 in the ODO, Kool!
Old March 9th, 2024, 09:36 AM
Administrator

So many cars, so little time. I have a friend that has about 20 cars under construction in different levels of disarray, doubt he will finish all of them in this lifetime.
Old March 9th, 2024, 09:53 AM

Congrats on the new ride! Cant wait to see some updates.
Old March 9th, 2024, 10:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by F-85 4-4-2
Sweet ride! My Arizona Vista also has a rust-free spare well. Who is doing the transport?
The seller turned me on to Garcia Transport. I've dealt with a lot of auto transporters, and they all suck. This one appears to be different, but we'll see. As I said, promised to pick up Monday and have it here by the end of the week. If this works out, I will definitely promote them. Good, reasonably priced auto transporters are unicorns.

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Nice!
What are your plans for the car?
The car is intended to be a driver, so I don't want to get crazy (no, I've NEVER said that before... )
If it's in as nice shape mechanically as advertised, the immediate work will be cosmetic (interior and hopefully paint). Sure, I'll go through all the rubber parts in the brakes and fuel system, but I'm hoping to avoid major work for now. It definitely needs tires, probably dog dish caps, and certainly power steering (I have all the parts) and an under-dash A/C unit that I also have. I'm sure a 4bbl and dual exhaust will find their way on board as well. And eventually, I have a couple of 403s taking up space... The Saginaw thankfully prevents me from going crazy in the engine bay. I don't know if the Muncie HD 3spd can be retrofitted without re-engineering the shift linkage. I'd really like to swap in a Saginaw with OD if I can find one. Of course, that would make me want to upgrade the rear gears (should be 3.08s currently). Of course, if I do that, I MIGHTASWELL get a posi unit (yeah, for a Type O). And now I'm well on my way down the slippery slope.
Old March 9th, 2024, 11:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
So many cars, so little time. I have a friend that has about 20 cars under construction in different levels of disarray, doubt he will finish all of them in this lifetime.
I figure I have to live to be 150 to finish all of mine (and that doesn't count restoring the 300 year old log house we own). It's an incentive to stay healthy.
Old March 9th, 2024, 12:26 PM
Bfg

Hopefully your body keeps up with your mind Joe, all ahead full!
Old March 9th, 2024, 06:37 PM

Nice wagon. Except for the wear, under the hood looks like it was when manufactured. Even the the heat riser pipe and top plate radiator hose clamp are there. Does the engine run like it has 44,000 miles on it? Even if 144,000 miles, that is nothing for a maintained 350 Oldsmobile engine. The outside trim looks good, and highlights the ‘68 body lines. The ‘68 wagon in the photo without the trim looks blah. But that is just my opinion. Enjoy the new ride.
Old March 9th, 2024, 07:02 PM

Congratulations Joe, It looks like a very solid flattop with a nice color combination and with a fun pedal. Personally, I think the money was right based on photos. I hope that it provides many miles of smiles.😀 (And zero negative surprises!)
Old March 9th, 2024, 07:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
Congratulations Joe, It looks like a very solid flattop with a nice color combination and with a fun pedal. Personally, I think the money was right based on photos. I hope that it provides many miles of smiles.😀 (And zero negative surprises!)
Thanks. We'll know when it gets here. Can't wait to confirm it gets picked up on Monday.
Old March 10th, 2024, 07:03 AM

Nice score Joe. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
Old March 10th, 2024, 09:10 AM

The seller turned me on to Garcia Transport. I've dealt with a lot of auto transporters, and they all suck. This one appears to be different, but we'll see. As I said, promised to pick up Monday and have it here by the end of the week. If this works out, I will definitely promote them. Good, reasonably priced auto transporters are unicorns.

The car is intended to be a driver, so I don't want to get crazy (no, I've NEVER said that before... )
If it's in as nice shape mechanically as advertised, the immediate work will be cosmetic (interior and hopefully paint). Sure, I'll go through all the rubber parts in the brakes and fuel system, but I'm hoping to avoid major work for now. It definitely needs tires, probably dog dish caps, and certainly power steering (I have all the parts) and an under-dash A/C unit that I also have. I'm sure a 4bbl and dual exhaust will find their way on board as well. And eventually, I have a couple of 403s taking up space... The Saginaw thankfully prevents me from going crazy in the engine bay. I don't know if the Muncie HD 3spd can be retrofitted without re-engineering the shift linkage. I'd really like to swap in a Saginaw with OD if I can find one. Of course, that would make me want to upgrade the rear gears (should be 3.08s currently). Of course, if I do that, I MIGHTASWELL get a posi unit (yeah, for a Type O). And now I'm well on my way down the slippery slope.
I look forward to seeing the wagon progress. I did a quick search and there does not seem to be many out there at least not on the internet. It's going to be quite unique when completed.
Did they ever come with the Cutlass S / 442 hood?
Old March 10th, 2024, 12:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

I look forward to seeing the wagon progress. I did a quick search and there does not seem to be many out there at least not on the internet. It's going to be quite unique when completed.
Did they ever come with the Cutlass S / 442 hood?
Nope. All F85s (except W31s), four doors, wagons, and Supremes only came the the flat hood.
Old March 11th, 2024, 12:11 PM

Best of luck with it. Looks unbelievably solid and unmolested. I'm curious about that wheel arch trim. Might it be possible to make one of the front wheel arch pieces work for the rear? I know the '69 front and rear wheel arches are slightly different curves but the trim piece looks pretty thin and might be massaged to work without too much effort. Of course, I'm assuming the fronts are relatively easy to find vs. the rear.
Old March 11th, 2024, 01:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
Best of luck with it. Looks unbelievably solid and unmolested. I'm curious about that wheel arch trim. Might it be possible to make one of the front wheel arch pieces work for the rear? I know the '69 front and rear wheel arches are slightly different curves but the trim piece looks pretty thin and might be massaged to work without too much effort. Of course, I'm assuming the fronts are relatively easy to find vs. the rear.
I was actually thinking one could start with the four-door parts, but frankly, when was the last time anyone saw a set of this trim. These are formed thin stainless with a "C"-shaped cross section, open end towards the car. Reforming them won't be easy. Welding up the holes will be a PITA also, however.
Old March 11th, 2024, 01:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks. We'll know when it gets here. Can't wait to confirm it gets picked up on Monday.
And to no one's surprise, the shipper called today and said the car will NOT be picked up today. Maybe "in a few days". I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you...
Old March 11th, 2024, 02:29 PM
Art S

Congrats on your new find. Pretty cool that it's a stick.
Old March 11th, 2024, 02:57 PM

Cool! Proof there are still cars out there preserved and not exposed to the cancer of the upper midwest and east of the Mississippi. "Good bones" as they say. Have fun!
Old March 11th, 2024, 04:27 PM

You should make a Hurst/Olds wagon tribute...
Old March 11th, 2024, 05:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 75 W-30 H/O
You should make a Hurst/Olds wagon tribute...
Not really a fan of "tribute" cars.
Old March 11th, 2024, 05:34 PM

Not really a fan of "tribute" cars.
Sarcasm, nor am I. Nice score Joe.
Old March 11th, 2024, 05:42 PM

What a cool ride...congrats on the purchase Joe!
Old March 11th, 2024, 08:37 PM

I was actually thinking one could start with the four-door parts, but frankly, when was the last time anyone saw a set of this trim. These are formed thin stainless with a "C"-shaped cross section, open end towards the car. Reforming them won't be easy. Welding up the holes will be a PITA also, however.
Welding up the holes should be no problem with a Mig welder. As always heat management is always important when welding sheet metal. If you want it to be a restoration try and locate trim. If you are trying to achieve a certain look then weld up the holes.
Old March 12th, 2024, 05:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welding up the holes should be no problem with a Mig welder. As always heat management is always important when welding sheet metal. If you want it to be a restoration try and locate trim. If you are trying to achieve a certain look then weld up the holes.
I have MIG and TIG.
Old March 12th, 2024, 06:21 PM

I have MIG and TIG.
Then your good to go if you go that route, personally I prefer MIG for this task.
Old March 12th, 2024, 08:08 PM

Hopefully you can obtain, fix, or fabricate the missing body trim.
Old March 14th, 2024, 11:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Finally on the way.

Old March 14th, 2024, 11:33 AM

Looks like the shipper had to call someone to figure out how to put it in drive..
Old March 14th, 2024, 11:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
Looks like the shipper had to call someone to figure out how to put it in drive..
Yeah, despite my warning to the shipping company, the seller had to provide instruction on how to drive a three on the tree. Can't say that I'd surprised. I figure the car is theft-proof.

Quick Reply: 1969 Cutlass Flat Top Wagon 3 speed Manual