1969 Cutlass Flat Top Wagon 3 speed Manual

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2024, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, despite my warning to the shipping company, the seller had to provide instruction on how to drive a three on the tree. Can't say that I'd surprised. I figure the car is theft-proof.
100% theft proof!
Old March 14th, 2024, 12:01 PM

Most people (anyone under 35) can't drive stick anymore, let alone 3 on the tree. Could probably leave it with the keys in it and it'd still be where you left it. Not that I would recommend that. Cool wagon, got to be somewhat rare with the 3 on the tree.
Old March 14th, 2024, 12:55 PM

Hi Joe - Not sure, based on your comments above, if you are interested at all in restoring the car including the polished trim, but there is a 68 for sale ($1500) in Reno with almost all of the trim on it (no lower/upper tailgate piece)....
Facebook Post

Let me know if you are interested as the system is killing the link saying is is not available yet I can get to it externally....

Last edited by swayman287; March 14th, 2024 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Accuracy
Old March 14th, 2024, 04:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by swayman287
Hi Joe - Not sure, based on your comments above, if you are interested at all in restoring the car including the polished trim, but there is a 68 for sale ($1500) in Reno with almost all of the trim on it (no lower/upper tailgate piece).... https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...a-e9aad0d0960f

Let me know if you are interested as the system is killing the link saying is is not available yet I can get to it externally....
The link shows up when you quote the text. Why the forum software does that remains a mystery.
Thanks for looking but that car on FB Marketplace is a Vista, not a Cutlass flattop. The trim is not the same. From my first post in this thread:

Those missing chrome strips over the rear wheels are unique to 68-69 flattops and are unobtanium. No, Vista trim is not the same. No, four door trim is not the same. I already checked.
Unfortunately Olds made about four times as many Vistas as they did flattops in those years.
Old March 14th, 2024, 10:19 PM
Kjr442

Cool Wagon

Congratulations Joe.
I too have been watching this one. This car is in way better condition than the one I had.
this car is in good hands now. I can’t wait to see where this goes.
Old March 15th, 2024, 05:58 AM

Cool wagon, I have a soft spot for those.
I know where there is a '69 Cutlass 4 door that may have the trim you need, I can check if you'd like.
Old March 15th, 2024, 07:03 AM
Past Administrator

Joe, I still have the '68 parts Vista if there is anything you could use off it let me know and I'll be glad to give it to you. Too bad that the trim parts are different as the Vista has almost all of it.
Old March 15th, 2024, 09:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Minibike Mark
Cool wagon, I have a soft spot for those.
I know where there is a '69 Cutlass 4 door that may have the trim you need, I can check if you'd like.
Again, the trim is unique to flattop wagons. The four door trim has a different part number. But thanks.
Old March 15th, 2024, 09:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Joe, I still have the '68 parts Vista if there is anything you could use off it let me know and I'll be glad to give it to you. Too bad that the trim parts are different as the Vista has almost all of it.
Thanks for the offer. Once the car gets here I need to do a complete inventory of what it needs.
Old March 15th, 2024, 09:56 AM

New PowerTour candidate?
That's a very cool car. Any chance it will be ready for Carlisle?
Old March 15th, 2024, 10:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rallye469
New PowerTour candidate?
That's a very cool car. Any chance it will be ready for Carlisle?
I was really hoping to drive it to Carlisle, if I can get it roadworthy. Kinda depends on when it gets delivered and what it really needs. I'm in Colorado Springs the whole week prior to Carlisle, so it might be tough.
Yes, this is the new Plan A for HRPT. T-84 days and counting. Piece of cake.
Old March 15th, 2024, 10:25 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You know this is going to be a very long thread. Maybe somebody should start a lottery with a guess of how many post by a certain date. Looking forward to this one.
Old March 15th, 2024, 10:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
You know this is going to be a very long thread.
If only because of my inability to make meaningful progress on any of my projects...
Old March 15th, 2024, 10:42 AM
Rocket Renegade!

If only because of my inability to make meaningful progress on any of my projects...
I was gonna say, with all the time you spend on CO helping out us hapless idiots, it's a wonder you're able to get anything done on your own cars.

But don't worry, we'll be happy to give you a nudge if you need it.
Old March 17th, 2024, 05:41 AM

Nice project

I love the wagon builds and with a manual even better , I saw Wtony’s wagon he built a 69 flattop put the stratobuckets console (auto) etc it was beautiful these wagons are so much cooler than any suv out there really looking forward to following along
Old March 17th, 2024, 05:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Car arrived at 11:00 last night. The shipper was adamant that I have to take it in the dark, which I protested but I didn't have a lot of leverage on a Saturday night. Picked it up in the local WalMart parking lot. On the plus side, they did deliver eight days after I signed the shipping contract and made it from Phoenix to just northern VA in 2.5 days.

Now to inventory what it needs (everything...). Sketchy brakes, ancient tires, no e-brake, dead battery, crispy interior, shot exhaust, non-functioning interior lights, and in need of a serious tune up are the obvious things. Definitely lived a lot of time in the desert. Car did start right up with a jump box and I drove it around the lot and onto the trailer, so that's a rarity for most of the crap I drag home. Cursory look under the lights shows no obvious body rust except for the front fenders, and I already have the patch panels (second gen parts made from new dies - much better than the ones that were previously available for the 68-69 cars). Unfortunately I have a meeting of my OCA Chapter today, so I won't get an in-depth inspection until later. The new box of stainless mandrel bends already arrived and the Walker mufflers are on the way. Special shout-out to flemming442 for the 15x7 wheels. Now to find two more. Dog dish caps are also on the way.

I should add that up close, the side trim really does not spark joy. It would go even if I had all of it.

Old March 17th, 2024, 07:00 AM
Old School Olds

Congrats Joe. Man, that front bumper is so straight, nice. I agree with your thoughts on the trim, kinda fugly.
Old March 17th, 2024, 08:07 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This 68 used to belong to a member of NTOC who built it from a wagon that came out of a field. He sold it several years ago and I believe it went to Oklahoma.

Old March 18th, 2024, 06:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

This 68 used to belong to a member of NTOC who built it from a wagon that came out of a field. He sold it several years ago and I believe it went to Oklahoma.
A friend of mine has a 69 that is similarly done up. His was a factory 350/4spd car that his family bought new. Currently a 455/4 spd.
Old March 18th, 2024, 12:17 PM

Yeah, despite my warning to the shipping company, the seller had to provide instruction on how to drive a three on the tree. Can't say that I'd surprised. I figure the car is theft-proof.
This reminds me of when I acquired my '69 4-speed car from Colorado several years back. I had it shipped here to NC on a similar multi-car hauler. I think the seller had to actually drive the car onto the rig because the driver couldn't drive the manual. He also had to give him strict instructions on how to put it in reverse to remove the key. The driver couldn't figure that part out either so the keys stayed in the ignition the whole time the car was transported (and I believe it was in first rather than reverse). I had to help him get it off the rig when it was delivered. All the other cars on the carrier were newer $hit boxes like Nissans and Toyotas. The driver said every time he stopped to get fuel or food people would walk up and ask him if the old red car was for sale.
Old March 19th, 2024, 05:16 AM

Joe, Congrats on the new project, way cool! Can't wait to see it in person.

You'll have to get one of these stickers for the window

https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/...84936567.EJUG5
Old March 19th, 2024, 05:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tva442
Joe, Congrats on the new project, way cool! Can't wait to see it in person.

You'll have to get one of these stickers for the window

https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/...84936567.EJUG5
Funny you should mention that sticker. I already have this one on the way.

Old March 19th, 2024, 07:59 AM

Cool, that works too!
Old March 20th, 2024, 04:21 AM

Car arrived at 11:00 last night. The shipper was adamant that I have to take it in the dark, which I protested but I didn't have a lot of leverage on a Saturday night. Picked it up in the local WalMart parking lot. On the plus side, they did deliver eight days after I signed the shipping contract and made it from Phoenix to just northern VA in 2.5 days.
Joe, what did Garcia charge for the ride?
Old March 20th, 2024, 05:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by F-85 4-4-2
Joe, what did Garcia charge for the ride?
$1600. Given what I've paid previously, this was a good deal, and despite the issues I'm still impressed with the eight days from signing the contract to delivery.
Old March 20th, 2024, 08:10 AM

Congrats on a rare wagon Joe. Looking forward to your progress.
Old March 20th, 2024, 09:53 AM

Nice car with great potential, Joe. Congrats!
Old March 21st, 2024, 04:49 AM

Nice car!

........... Those missing chrome strips over the rear wheels are unique to 68-69 flattops and are unobtanium. No, Vista trim is not the same. No, four door trim is not the same. I already checked. Likely I'll just dechrome it. More on that later.
Not that they are any easier to find but that trim over the wheels looks the same as the F-85 Y68 molding package
Old March 21st, 2024, 04:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Nice car!

Not that they are any easier to find but that trim over the wheels looks the same as the F-85 Y68 molding package
Mike, I double-checked the part numbers. These rear wheel arch trim strips are unique to the 1968-69 flattop wagons, period. Coupe and sedan trim looks similar, but is a different P/N. And in any case, as I said above, when I see it in person, I'm really not in love with that trim anyway. It's not like I'm building a car for AACA or OCA judging.
Old March 21st, 2024, 05:33 AM

Mike, I double-checked the part numbers. These rear wheel arch trim strips are unique to the 1968-69 flattop wagons, period. Coupe and sedan trim looks similar, but is a different P/N. And in any case, as I said above, when I see it in person, I'm really not in love with that trim anyway. It's not like I'm building a car for AACA or OCA judging.
Understood.
I think they're a different part number because they are longer where they extend to meet the back door on the F85. The wheel arch is probably the same
Old March 25th, 2024, 06:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

I absolutely HATE GM pinchwelds. Two NV desert wagons, two cases of pinchweld rust. Note the amount of silt behind the stainless trim around the rear quarter windows. I knew there was evidence of water leaks before I bought it. Fortunately, most of the leaks appear to be coming from a loss of adhesion between the urethane and the metal. Unfortunately that loss of adhesion is due to scaly rust on the pinchweld flanges. I won't know how bad that is until I get the glass out. Hopefully there's enough metal left that I can just media blast, prime, and re-bond the glass. There is one hole that I've found so far, though at least that repair will be hidden by the trim if the swiss cheese doesn't extend out too far.

In other news, the car still has the original bell-mouth rear drums and two-piece front rotors, and all appear to be usable. I hate to say it, but since this car will be a driver, I'm swapping these parts for new replacement drums and rotors and keeping the good parts for my 69 H/O.

Old March 25th, 2024, 08:06 PM
Shoveling Snow

The brake drums have never been off of the car.
Old March 25th, 2024, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
The brake drums have never been off of the car.
The mechanic may have reused the retainer.
Old March 25th, 2024, 08:29 PM

Looks like it was well done.
Old March 26th, 2024, 04:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bernhard
The mechanic may have reused the retainer.
^^This. I also originally thought the drums had never been off, but once I removed them there were brand new Raybestos 242 shoes installed. Clearly not factory.
Old March 26th, 2024, 12:09 PM

I had the exact same corrosion on my flattop that had spent its time in Los Angeles up to my stewardship. I had to fabricate some metal patches for mine and also had to put a small patch on the fwd side of the wheel arch as well due to water accumulating inside the body. We still don’t have a fraction of the grief that Vista owners deal with. The photo of Aron’s car looks to be at Sweethearts and Orphans at the Weatherford courthouse. That car was drug out of a farm pasture.
Old March 26th, 2024, 12:25 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That picture of Aron's car was taken at Sweethearts & Orphans in Granbury.
Old March 26th, 2024, 06:12 PM

That picture of Aron's car was taken at Sweethearts & Orphans in Granbury.
Yeah, well that’s an honest mistake!🤣. They are neighbors and both have the same vibe! Thanks for your clarification though Glenn! Come visit us at Pate later this month, we always have fun.
Old March 26th, 2024, 09:02 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good hearing from you Heath. Yep, easy mistake. I wish I could make it to Pate. Hard to believe I have never been. I should be a vendor there with all the stuff I have I need to sell.
Old March 27th, 2024, 01:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

I have to say that it's always a joy to work on desert cars. Front shocks R&R in like 20 minutes. No torch, no cutoff wheel, no broken clip nuts, no muss, no fuss.

Quick Reply: 1969 Cutlass Flat Top Wagon 3 speed Manual