Project Oldsmolac

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2024, 08:05 PM
all olds...all the time

Alright so we are finally caught up to the present. We got the truck back to the shop and I stuck it outside so I could concentrate on getting caught up on my workload-shop was closed for a full week due to nationals shenanigans so we were pretty well behind. There it sat for about 6 or so months and I had to miserably look at the old girl every morning. Time went on and work just kept me too busy to dedicate any time to the old girl until a few weeks ago when we had room to get it back inside. I got my life sized list back out and plastered it back to the side of the truck. Went over the list and added a few things I thought of in recent weeks. After looking everything over I decided to tackle the largest and most tedious task on the list.....marrying all this wiring. So now I unburied all the wiring I hid to take it to the show. I had put all the open connections under the fusebox to make the truck more presentable for the show. I had kind of forgot how many damn wire connections I needed to make. I laid out what I was working with in my head......PCM harness is 5.3 LS truck......engine side is modified LS3.....and body harness is modified original cadillac harness. The body harness was long enough to reach PCM but engine harness was not......or at least not long enough for how I wanted to "tuck" the harness and I wanted to be able to break the body harness out from the PCM and engine harness. Enter the Deutsch connectors. I decided to try and group similar components into these connectors-IE all ignition controls in 1 connector, all injector controls in a different connector, etc etc. Once I had my groups together I started working on my PCM breakout harness. I took the stock 5.3 truck harness and rearranged/deleted all the pins particular to my swap and made it about 2 ft long. I pinned 10 different Deutsch connectors to that harness in the groups I had designated. I was working on this dealing with these annoying little masking tape identifiers I put on the wires to identify which circuit is which. This made me think what about when we are done? We can't just leave this ugly *** tape on these wires and I have to be able to track which circuits are which especially given all the wire colors are goofy between the harness. So for the time being I left the wires "flagged" and went about making my PCM harness. What a monumental task this is.

Last edited by iam2fast4u86; February 22nd, 2024 at 08:11 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2024, 08:33 PM
all olds...all the time

Working on PCM harness connections here. I came up with a way to keep track of the connections in hand drawn pinouts. I use OE pinouts daily doing diagnostic work so this made sense to me. I labeled each connecter and started drawing (which I am not good at) it all out on copy paper. This will work temporarily but need something easier to read for or permanent solution. Enter Easyeda. This is a free program for making PCB boards etc I found surfing the web. I spent a few hours learning how to operate the program and started transfering my hand drawn pinouts to this program. Pretty neat stuff really a step up for me. Every once in a while my ideas impress me instead of depress me LOL. I was finally able to get rid of the annoying little yellow flags! So heres some photos of the PCM harness process now all ready to wrap/install in the truck, my chicken scratch pinouts and an example of the pinouts I made on Easyeda. They will need a little tweaking but will work excellent once dialed in. And we are finally caught up to today 2/22/2024 11:20 pm. Whats next? Finish the wiring and start pecking away at the list. I want this thing on the road come April. We are pre registered for the 2024 Hot Rod Power Tour and getting ready to send in registrations for 2024 Homecoming in Lansing and Oldsmobile Nationals in Missouri. I can hear old Jerry read again......