The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

400 c.i. engine number

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2018, 01:29 PM
OLDS 442 68 Convertible

400 c.i. engine number

Hallo, can you help me realize if the engine is original or not? I have OLDS 442 model 68 convertible and there is not the etiquete on the oil filling tube. There is the number of the block 396026G. VIN is 344678E170450. Is anywhere else some more identification? Thank you Jan
Old May 20th, 2018, 01:42 PM

Just below the head on the drivers side is a pad on the side the Power steerinb bracket often makes it hard to read, with numbers on it. Check this to see if the number matches the last of your vin.

Larry
Old May 20th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Administrator

That number would be here:

Old May 20th, 2018, 04:31 PM
Randy C.

The 396026G number says you have a 400 cubic inch engine, which is what the '68 4-4-2 had. To tell whether or not the block is original to your car, look for the numbers where Larry and oldscutlass said to look. Often, that are is covered in dirt and oil and is hard to see without first cleaning it. As well, if the engine is in the car, there is a bracket that goes right over the top of that area which makes it doubly difficult to read. But if you get a clean surface, I've been able to read what's there with a mirror and a flashlight. This number is often referred to as the VIN derivative. The first number should be a "3" and the last 8 digits of that number should match the last 8 digits of you VIN for the block to be original to the car.

The VIN derivative is also stamped into the driver side of the transmission casing.

Randy C.
Old May 21st, 2018, 09:02 AM
OLDS 442 68 Convertible

Hallo all and thank you. There is no number visible, even part of it. Seems somebody wants me not to realize the true. Also the label on oil filling tube is gone. I am dissapointed because the seller told me the car is numbers matching. Also the transmission is not original becase there is the plate with number 75-OR-34902. Thank you all with best rgds. Jan
Old May 21st, 2018, 09:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by JanLuhan
Hallo all and thank you. There is no number visible, even part of it. Seems somebody wants me not to realize the true. Also the label on oil filling tube is gone. I am dissapointed because the seller told me the car is numbers matching. Also the transmission is not original becase there is the plate with number 75-OR-34902. Thank you all with best rgds. Jan
The oil fill tube number is meaningless. Unless the block has been replaced with a service replacement, there IS a VIN derivative stamp. It was required by federal law. You will need to remove any brackets that might be in the way and clean the pad thoroughly with a wire brush to remove any grease, paint, or rust. Sometimes you will have more success with a pencil rubbing of the pad rather than reading the number directly.
Old May 21st, 2018, 02:11 PM
OLDS 442 68 Convertible

Hallo Joe,
thank you. I will try once more to clean it, but really seems the print is completely gone. The number shoul be printed or stamped or what technology?
Joe what do you think about the transmission? Is possible to fix transmission from the year 75 to the block from 68? The number on the transmission plate shows 75-OR-34902.
with best rgds Jan
Old May 21st, 2018, 03:05 PM

Below is a picture of a block VIN stamping. This pad looks to have been cleaned very well.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ers-match.html
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The engine unit number does not match the VIN. All 1968-up Olds motors have a VIN derivative stamped on the block. The first character of the VIN derivative matches the first of the VIN and the last eight match the last eight of the VIN. The number is stamped on a pad at the left front corner of the block.