The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Another newbie

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Another newbie

Just picked another barn find. 1960 Dynamic 88 convertable. One owner garage kept CA no rust car. Stored since 1977 with 104000 miles. Power windows, power seat, P/S and P/B. Repainted and new top in 1975. The 371 2brl is tired and the trans leaks. I will rebuild both. I am a retired GM dealership mechanic, parts manager, service manager and now spend my time restoring cars back to their original condition. This is my first Olds project and am starting with a good solid car. Past cars in my stable were 1928 Buick, 1937 Buick, 1962 Pontiac, 1957 GMC, and some I forgot. Current cars are 1956 Chevy Bel Air 2dr HT, 1962 Vette, 1965 GTO, and 1987 Buick GNX. Buy, fix up, enjoy and sell as the story goes. Phil
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard.

I sure you experience will be of great value here.

I'm glad you decided to join us.
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Past Administrator

Hi Phil, glad to have you with us. Your experience sounds similar to my buddy's. He was in the industry for thirty years and just recently moved to teaching kids at the local VoTech. A much harder job, so he says. Must admit, I wouldn't want to try it.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:00 AM

Smile

Actually my buddy told me I would make a great Vo Tech instructor. I would take the class after a week or two and divide them into two groups.The first, smaller group, I would teach them how to repair cars. The second group i would teach them how to ask if they would like to supersize that order for only 39 cents.
I went to school for auto mechanics, welding and auto body. I was paying my own way all 3 times and took it seriously. Most of the kids are goof offs who wanna fix up their 79 Cutlass.
Why is youth wasted on the young?
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Welcome to the site Phil. Your experience refreshing to see and I am sure you can add to the site
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by coldwar
What a refeshing post, Phil, I warmly welcome you. We have been buried just lately with 100 guys wanting advice on how to use a tape measure so they can drop a Chevy or a T-400 or a 4L-60 into..... etc etc etc. Help us to a higher place, if you care to, in a sort of 'support group' function, by posting progress and after shots of your skilled engine and trans rebuild, so those led astray by the sinners of cheap-skated-ness can see the light on the obvious superiorty of their original Oldsmobile engine and transmission, what ever type they may have - Bowing deeply and waiting for illuminous images ~ CW
X2

Welcome, Phil. Look forward to your posts.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome. Checking into engine hard parts to rebuild the 371 I am finding limited sources and high prices. My next step is to checking out parts for a 394. I found a complete 1960 Super 88 wagon, no missing parts and unmolested I can buy for $300.00. It has a rebuildable 394 with less than 100K on it. Does anyone know of a engine hard parts source at reasonable prices? Overhauling the Jet-A-Way doesn't seem to be a problem. As I said before I am into original restorations and will keep the car to factory specs. SMS has all the seat material with the correct color and embossing.Phil
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:02 AM

Thanks Coldwar I will give them a call. Haven't pulled motor yet as I have to finish putting the GTO back together. One at a time, you know. Engine will be out by end of next week. I want it on the road for summer car shows. Phil
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Fat Man with a Fat Car!

Haha! Nothing like having several projects on the go. Aside from the wagon, I have an old Ford Convertible I need to get running this year, A Lincoln that needs a facelift, a beat up truck and 4x4 that both need to be fixed as well as a duct-taped together daily driver ex cop car. Sadly I've never quite gotten the hang of 'one at a time'. Good luck with your rides!