The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Greetings from the Wonderful State of New Jersey

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2012, 04:54 PM

Greetings from the Wonderful State of New Jersey

Hey Everybody,

My name is Rob Cross and I have always wanted to restore cars, life lead me down a different path so now at the tender age of 45, I have finally found my dream car for restoration. A 1966 Oldsmobile Delta 88 2door Convertible (numbers matching). I love the lines on this car! My first gut reaction is to do bolt off, but I am not that good yet. This Aqua baby needs a lot of work, but she has a 425 that was rebuilt 60,000 miles ago and runs nice. From the pics you can see she needs a paint job and rust removal. the trunk pan is shot. I have found this forum and am so happy to find a resource for my Olds B Body. I look forward to showing you what I do, and am happy to take any advice you may feel to impart. Looking forward to meeting you all.ced07c97.jpg0cf9e6e5.jpgd743fabd.jpg
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:59 PM

Welcome to the site, from across the river
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:01 PM

Welcome to the site and great car and a convertible too. You'll find plenty of help and advice here so ask away whenever you have a question. I would suggest you get a factory service manual for your car if you don't already have one and learn as much about the car as you can before starting any major work on it. The more you know the easier it will be to accomplish the task.

Good luck and post pictures of your work.
Brian
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Welcome, looks to be nice project!
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Welcome! Nice big boat you found!
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:13 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Looks like a great starting point for a project.
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Welcome! Sharp car.

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:26 PM

welcome to the site. Nice looking ragtop!

I found this place last winter and everyone here has been great, you'll find stuff out for almost any question and help for almost every problem. These guys know their stuff inside and out.

Good luck and enjoy the new wheels.
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard. That looks a lot like a survivor body on that car.
First thing I'd do is get out a digital camera and take pictures of everything on the car - in great detail. That way you have a reference for when you start doing something and forget how it was to start with. Your camera is one of the most valuable tools in your tool box. Its also great for asking help questions if you have pics of the problem.

Looking forward to your resto!
Old August 19th, 2012, 09:33 AM

Thanks everyone!
Well Allen your right, it is a survivor car. The previous owner is a great guy he took very good care of her mechanically. Body wise, not so much. The trunk pan is rusted out some rust on the front fenders, a bondo job on the back deck near the roof well that cracked, etc and pitting on most of the chome work.but this is going to be a labor of love. After all you don't restore a B body Olds to get rich. Been dying to learn how to use that MIG welder anyway! I will do my best to document the progress. And as far as questions go... I'll post them soon. Thanks again guys.
Old August 19th, 2012, 10:00 AM

exit 9

Originally Posted by robcross66
Thanks everyone!
Well Allen your right, it is a survivor car. The previous owner is a great guy he took very good care of her mechanically. Body wise, not so much. The trunk pan is rusted out some rust on the front fenders, a bondo job on the back deck near the roof well that cracked, etc and pitting on most of the chome work.but this is going to be a labor of love. After all you don't restore a B body Olds to get rich. Been dying to learn how to use that MIG welder anyway! I will do my best to document the progress. And as far as questions go... I'll post them soon. Thanks again guys.
Rob I am in jersey south river by exit 9 on the tpke always happy to help when I can :-)
Welcome