The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hey all. Looking for some advice.

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:52 PM

Hey all. Looking for some advice.

I just bought a 1969 cutlass supreme covertible. I had a hardtop when I was 19 but rolled her racing as a dumb teen. I'm 42 now and slowed down. Finally bought my baby again. She's in great shape and was fully restored 10 years ago but as can be expected has a few issues I would like to resolve now.

1. The windows and convertible top do not line up well. Windows have like 1" gaps when putting them up as the top stops them from going all the way up. Can someone point me in right direction as to what I should be looking for?

2. The radio has major static when the car is running. Fine when engine is off. I heard something about this before but can't remember the cause.

She has some other issues but I think I can figure those out. Wipers not working. Driver door sagging at hinge. Power antenna not working.

The biggest issue for me is the lining up of the windows and covertible top. I can post photos or a YouTube vid tomorrow if someone has some advice.

Thanks all!!
Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, pictures of the window gap will help. We also wouldn't mind seeing pics of the whole car. The radio issue can be a missing capacitor on the coil positive if it still has points. Can also be related to your antenna problem or a bad filter in the radio power supply.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post so you guys can get a better understanding of the issue.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 07:58 AM

Here is a video of the problem

Old April 3rd, 2015, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Definitely out of adjustment. I think this may be close to what you have.

Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:14 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Your top and all 4 windows need attention. First the top needs to be adjusted properly, yours looks like its sagging. Take it to a reputable auto upholstery shop that does vets tops if you dont have the nohow. They do it all day and should be able to get it right for you. The top mechanism may need some parts too?
Then fix the door hinges. The doors need to be lined up nice before window adjustment.
Then go at the windows. Pull the seats and door panels out of the car it will make life much easier and you wont need to see a chiropractor when finished. Sit inside of the car and start adjusting one at a time. Mark the original locations of all the adjustment points so you can at least get back there if needed. Adjust the door glass to fit nice then go at the quarter windows. Clean and lube the window tracks replace any worn rollers etc...Also clean all electrical connections to the power window motors and be real sure the grounds are all clean and tight. I also recommend getting the manuals for the car. Chassis, Fisher, Assembly and Chilton or Motors repair manuals.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:38 AM

Thanks guys. I messed around with some more and it seems as if the biggest culprit is the main windows coming up tilted. If I force them up straight with my hand it seems to close and line up pretty good. I Think I'll take the advice and take it to someone who knows better than me. Lol
Old April 6th, 2015, 06:06 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Dont forget to freshen up the door hinges first before making any adjustments. Then adjust the top.... then the windows. If you dont do it in this order you'll chase your tail. Consider replacing any worn rotted weather seals before adjusting too... to include the top rail weather strips.

Last edited by droldsmorland; April 6th, 2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old April 6th, 2015, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Dont forget to freshen up the door hinges first before making any adjustments. Then adjust the top.... then the windows. If you dont do it in this order you'll chase your tail. Consider replacing any worn rotted weather seals before adjusting too... to include the top rail weather strips.
The doors seem to open and close nicely. The drivers side has a bit of sag to it but passenger side close perfectly. Are you suggesting I replace the entire hinge assembly? Or just the pins?
Old April 6th, 2015, 07:13 AM
72 Olds CS

Just the pins and bushings need replacement, unless there's something wrong w the hinges Typically original GM parts are going to be better than any reproduction part.

After your door hinges are set, you may also need to adjust the fr door glass as well, it has similar adjustment bolts and slots as the rear glass. Your windows are also binding or the motors need refreshing the windows shouldn't be that slow.
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:16 AM

Thanks guys! Any idea where to find original GM parts? I only know of opgi for reproduction parts and shipping is a fortune to ship to Canada.
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:24 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

The bushing and pin kits are widely available. Check with your local NAPA, United, Federated etc...Stay away from big box as they will likely be offshore junk. You may be able to find at a GM dealership too? Year One, Fusick etc...has GM parts mail order. These two companies also offer complete hinge assemblies. Just paint n go.
Old April 7th, 2015, 08:44 AM
wait.... what....

Originally Posted by daspin
Thanks guys! Any idea where to find original GM parts? I only know of opgi for reproduction parts and shipping is a fortune to ship to Canada.
Where do you live in Canada?
Old May 11th, 2015, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by oldzzy
Where do you live in Canada?
Didn't see this post. I'm in Port Perry, Ontario